Car Breakdown Cover

Red WhineRed Whine Posts: 1,086
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I've just received my AA renewal notice, they are asking £300 a year for the honour of me not calling them out for the past 10 years at least.

I am a low mileage motorist, and it is really just cor peace of mind, which is the better Nd cheaper breakdown cover, RAC or Green Flag?

TY

Comments

• Keefy-boyKeefy-boy Posts: 13,613
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That sounds ridiculous, what level of cover do you have? I have AA Roadside, Relay and Homestart for £147.

I followed the advice I heard on Radio 4's Moneybox programme a couple of years ago that they will drastically cut your premium just to keep you, and I now phone them every year before renewal and tell them I'm thinking of leaving. Works wonders.
  • Red WhineRed Whine Posts: 1,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks Keefy-boy. It's just that both green flag and ghe RAC seem to be a lot more reasonable.

I only have Home Start and relay. I'm not a high mileage, and very very rarely go on motorways. Living a fair way from the nearest town, a car is a necessity not a luxury.
  • SupercellSupercell Posts: 5,079
    Forum Member
    I would just phone AA and say why is it so expensive <check how much they are charging for your cover on their website first> they often send out high renewals and hope people just let it roll and don't bother checking if they can get it cheaper.
  • PorcupinePorcupine Posts: 25,246
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You can now go on a comparison website for breakdown cover can't you ?

I have been with the RAC for about 10yrs, and like you I have never called them out. But the price quoted keeps going up and up and like yours its about £250/yr now.

However, I went on the comparison website and to get like for like cover it really doesn't amount to much in terms of savings.

If I had my way we would cancel it, but my husband worries that, as I cant even change a tyre I might need them.
  • walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 56,841
    Forum Member
    Red Whine wrote: »
    I've just received my AA renewal notice, they are asking £300 a year for the honour of me not calling them out for the past 10 years at least.

I am a low mileage motorist, and it is really just cor peace of mind, which is the better Nd cheaper breakdown cover, RAC or Green Flag?

TY

The answer is in your first line. You have been with them 10 years so they just take the piss a bit more each year.
  • PuckyPucky Posts: 4,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Do you have a bank account that you pay a bit extra per month for? I do and part of this is RAC cover. It's Homestart and relay and it's me that's covered not the car, so doesn't matter whose car I'm in.
  • Galaxy266Galaxy266 Posts: 7,049
    Forum Member
    You should challenge the amount the AA are seeking to charge you.

Call them and tell them that you can't possibly afford it and that you will have to shop around for a more reasonable deal with other companies in just the same way as you would for any other form of insurance.

They will come back to you with a much more reasonable offer, especially if you have some figures to hand from a few other breakdown companies.

There's no value put on loyalty with the AA, I'm very sorry to say. In fact the opposite is true because they give their new customers a better deal than their existing ones.
  • bri160356bri160356 Posts: 5,147
    Forum Member
    Red Whine wrote: »

TY

I was in a similar position a few months ago when the breakdown cover was due for renewal on one of our family vehicles.

After a bit of delving and unsuccessful negotiation with the AA, I decided to opt for 3-Star cover from

http://www.startrescue.co.uk/annual-breakdown-cover

• Roadside Assistance
    • Nationwide Recovery
    • Home Start
    • Accident Recovery
    • Alternative Transport
    • Overnight Accommodation
    • Key Assist
    • Message Assist

The policy seems to be a ‘decent fit’ for the family vehicle in question and our particular requirements; at £35.40 p.a. appears to be excellent value also!

‘StartRescue’ comes highly recommended from many quarters but whether it really is good value for money remains to be seen; however, on a personal level, that’s something I would rather not find out!
  • SXTonySXTony Posts: 2,925
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    For the past few years I've taken to phoning them up, come renewal time. I tell them that it's too expensive when new customers get it for half the price I'm paying.

Every year, so far, they've given it to me for the new customer price.
  • Keith_13Keith_13 Posts: 1,621
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm with ADAC, Full Europewide cover, £89 for me & the wife.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,954
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cancel it altogether.

If you do break down and need assistance you can ring up and join there and then.
  • Keefy-boyKeefy-boy Posts: 13,613
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Andrew-W wrote: »
    If you do break down and need assistance you can ring up and join there and then.
    At a vastly inflated price if you need immediate assistance.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,954
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Keefy-boy wrote: »
    At a vastly inflated price if you need immediate assistance.
    Not when we did it with the AA and they came out straight away.
  • chattamanukchattamanuk Posts: 3,397
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This subject comes up regularly, search on DS and you will get lots of responses to this question
  • morganb1611morganb1611 Posts: 458
    Forum Member
    Can't believe anyone would be paying more than £50 for decent cover. The one bri160356 suggested seems ideal. I went with AXA for £30 without homestart (I live in the country so can tow to my local garage easily), and with recovery back home.

I would avoid the cash-back sites when comparing cover, they are notorious for not paying it!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,003
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not been back to the AA since they took out an extra year's insurance after we'd cancelled the agreement. We realised immediately and asked for it back, but it took them 11 months to admit they had had the cancellation notice.
    They then said they wouldn't pay the 11 months back as we had been covered all that time!!!! :o Despite us pointing out that we'd cancelled, and were insured elsewhere, it took nearly 2 years to get the money back.
    They told us never to use them again. I told them not to worry :D
  • Red ArrowRed Arrow Posts: 10,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Pucky wrote: »
    Do you have a bank account that you pay a bit extra per month for? I do and part of this is RAC cover. It's Homestart and relay and it's me that's covered not the car, so doesn't matter whose car I'm in.

This.

I pay £16 a month with the RBS and get Greenflag cover including home call, worldwide travel insurance, mobile phone insurance and a bunch of other benefits.

In fact it's a joint account so my OH is covered with all these benefits to so it's really only £8 each a month.
  • David (2)David (2) Posts: 20,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My breakdown inc home start and relay (to a destination of my choice), aside from the basic roadside assistance.
    It's part of a bundle with my insurance, but it's standalone cost is just over £100 per year.
  • SnrDevSnrDev Posts: 6,094
    Forum Member
    I'm surprised people still buy breakdown cover. Cars these days don't tend to break down at the side of the road like they used to, and for those that do how often does it happen? 2 - 3 times a year? Once every three years? For costs of this nature that are affordable anyway it makes more financial sense to keep the money yourself and take the hit if it does happen. It's the same logic as not buying breakdown cover on electrical goods.

Been driving since 1979, can count on the fingers of one hand the number of times I've had to be towed home, and that's when driving everything from a ropey old Mk1 Cortina all the way to the current almost new car.
  • sweetpeanutsweetpeanut Posts: 4,805
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I choose my insurance on if they give a discount BD cover with it.
    Forum Member
    artnada wrote: »

How does the free MOT offer pan out?.......can it be used anywhere or just at selected garages?
  • artnadaartnada Posts: 10,113
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    bri160356 wrote: »
    How does the free MOT offer pan out?.......can it be used anywhere or just at selected garages?

The Free MOT offer is available to new customers purchasing any level of breakdown cover. The offer is valid for 1 Class 4 MOT test at National Tyres and Autocare (standard rate: £54.85) and must be redeemed within 13 months of purchase. The vehicle presented for testing must be registered at the same address as the AA Breakdown Cover membership and customers will be required to show their AA membership card in order to claim the offer. Failure to comply may result in the customer being charged for any MOT completed. Any work required to pass the MOT is not included in the offer. We'll email or write to you with the details on how to claim your Free MOT after a validation period of 28 days from the cover purchase date. Offer ends 08 October 2014 and excludes Northern Ireland. The AA reserves the right to withdraw or alter this promotion without prior notice at any time.
    Forum Member
    SnrDev wrote: »
    I'm surprised people still buy breakdown cover. Cars these days don't tend to break down at the side of the road like they used to, and for those that do how often does it happen? 2 - 3 times a year? Once every three years? For costs of this nature that are affordable anyway it makes more financial sense to keep the money yourself and take the hit if it does happen. It's the same logic as not buying breakdown cover on electrical goods.

Been driving since 1979, can count on the fingers of one hand the number of times I've had to be towed home, and that's when driving everything from a ropey old Mk1 Cortina all the way to the current almost new car.

Fair comments; I agree it’s all down to risk assessment.

However, I guess much depends on personal circumstance and how much you are paying.

I’ve recently taken out cover that cost £34.50 (see post #9) on one of our cars . The vehicle is covered nationally no matter who is driving........ and for that price I’m also buying peace of mind that some help would be readily and quickly available if needed..............hopefully! ;-)
  • walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 56,841
    Forum Member
    SnrDev wrote: »

For the price I pay a month I think it's worth the peace of mind. Having had a blow out on the motorway during evening rush hour in winter I'd say it more than paid for itself.