Options

Step up to the Plate

Gemo52Gemo52 Posts: 128,039
Forum Member
✭✭✭✭
Forthcoming episodes.

I thought this was new but I seem to have missed some episodes. Anton du Beke seems an unusual choice for host.

Comments

• Options
    degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    I see that it's now on at 4:30 instead of mid afternoon. Maybe the first run was to see if it got viewers. I only saw a few. I didn't think he was a good host. If they still want him as a host then it should be something different. I could see him as a crappy gameshow host.

Grossman is still a twonk!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I’ve just done a google to see if he had any link with food and he doesn’t seem to. I know he’s on SCD but i don’t watch that because of Bruce Forsyth. I suppose it’ll be OK if the host stays in the background.
  • Options
    gkmaccagkmacca Posts: 9,386
    Forum Member
    It's actually a relatively good challenge, in the sense that the team of amateurs have rehearsed their menu for months whereas the two chefs have to replicate it 'cold,' but it's still an odd little show. Anton du Beke is unintentionally entertaining because he clearly has no interest at all in cooking, so he asks questions and then pays no attention to the answers (much to the exasperation of the chefs!). Compared to the show hosted by the helium-voiced banshee that is Anthony Worrall Thompson, it has a weird kind of attraction, but it's still a downright peculiar concoction. It was on BBC1 before the Olympics, so maybe they're just running down the rest of the run on BBC2 before shelving the idea.
  • Options
    QuizmikeQuizmike Posts: 5,972
    Forum Member
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    I see that it's now on at 4:30 instead of mid afternoon. Maybe the first run was to see if it got viewers. I only saw a few. I didn't think he was a good host. If they still want him as a host then it should be something different. I could see him as a crappy gameshow host.

Grossman is still a twonk!

Watch out for "Hole in the Wall" coming soon!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/pressoffice/pressreleases/stories/2008/07_july/03/hole.shtml
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Now THAT does sound strange! Old Tony Beak also has an inability to cope with any word that contains more than one hard 'c' in it (he ends up sounding like he's gargling with razor blades), so, er, this show may lead him into some quite disastrous situations.:eek:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Quizmike wrote: »

I was thinking that he rememinded me slightly of Dale Winton and that title has just confirmed it :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    The WI ladies are cooking seared scallops on pea purée with rocket; tenderloin of pork with apricot and stilton sauce with spinach and wild rice; lemon truffles with lemon sauce and creme fraiche and almond biscuits.

The chefs are John Burton Race and Ed Baines.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    The WI scallops are swimming and the chef’s ones are almost dry.

Shouty du Beke is very annoying.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    LG seems to prefer the more modern presentation of the WI’s dish.

He likes the taste of the chef’s dish, he complains that the rocket on the WI dish isn’t dressed. He goes for the chef’s dish because it has more flavour.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    The chefs won.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I guess we don't need to watch. We have a running commenatry :D

Plus, I try not to watch anything with John Burton Race in it!
  • Options
    PaacePaace Posts: 14,679
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What is the matter with the producers calling a programme Step up to the Plate, when I bet 99% of viewers haven't a clue what it's supposed to mean.
    Checking on Google, wait for it, it's a term used in that well known British sport Baseball :eek::(:rolleyes::p
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    I guess we don't need to watch. We have a running commenatry :D

Plus, I try not to watch anything with John Burton Race in it!

That wasn’t a running commentary. I do those for Masterchef. :p

John Burton Race isn’t in all of them.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I guess they though that Step up to the Hotplate didn't have the same ring to it :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Paace wrote: »
    What is the matter with the producers calling a programme Step up to the Plate, when I bet 99% of viewers haven't a clue what it's supposed to mean.
    Checking on Google, wait for it, it's a term used in that well known British sport Baseball :eek::(:rolleyes::p

A more appropriate term would be “Step up to the Pass”.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    It’s John Burton Race and Ed Baines again facing antiques dealers.

Starter:creamy broad beans with baby gem lettuce
    Main: lamb cutlets with mediteranean vegetables on sweet potato mash
    Pudding: summer rhubarb crunch.

Prize is £10,000
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Lloyd’s verdict on the “delicious” starter.

Both equally pretty. The antique dealers one is very fresh and very light, it’s terrific and exciting. The chef’s one is like a broth and is extremely good, disturbing moans from LG but he picks the antiques dealers starter.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    LG finds the antique dealers vegetables boring and the mash lumpy; he prefers the chefs vegetables and finds them rich and compliment the lamb very well, he likes their mash too. He picks the chef’s main.

He likes the dealer’s big chunks of rhubarb, the crunch and the orange juice mixed in; he finds the chef’s crunch well cooked too. LG picks the chef’s pudding.

The chefs win again.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    As I said before, it's a really tough challenge, compared to other shows, because it does weight things towards the amateurs (if they're any good).

P.S,: Today's commentary neglected to note the awfulness of Anton's shirt and tie combination, which was like a bad nosebleed over a cream bedsheet.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    A Taste of Hampshire, Suzy, Jennifer and Ian, challenge Gino D’Acampo and Paul Rankin.

The menu is:
    Starter: crispy duck egg with portabello mushroom and a New Forest nanny sauce.
    Main: lamb with lavender and rosé sauce served with crushed new potatoes and wilted bean tops.
    Pudding: hazelnut and rapeseed oil cake with a lemon cheesecake cream.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,856
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gkmacca wrote: »
    As I said before, it's a really tough challenge, compared to other shows, because it does weight things towards the amateurs (if they're any good).

P.S,: Today's commentary neglected to note the awfulness of Anton's shirt and tie combination, which was like a bad nosebleed over a cream bedsheet.

LOL - agree about the blamange vomit tie & shirt combo
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    LG thinks both starters look good.

The amateurs have a perfect egg, it’s very breakfasty, it’s good. The chefs have sliced the mushrooms and the egg is like a fishcake, the egg is perfect, the nanny sauce isn’t there, the mushroom is just right. It’s very close but LG picks the amateur’s starter.

Anton is wearing a pink shirt and shiny pink tie. The shirt is a slightly bluer shade of pink than the tie.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    LG checks the mains.

He thinks they both look nice. The amateurs have very nice lamb, the sauce is well balanced, the rosé dominates the lavender, the crushed potatoes are very good – very good indeed. He likes the chef’s presentation, good sauce, nice lamb, mmm the lavender comes through in the lamb.

He thinks the amateurs pudding is prettier than the chef’s. He likes the chef’s hazelnut cake, not too rich. He likes the taste of the amateur’s pudding, good texture, very intense flavour.

LG prefers the chef’s main course and the chef’s pudding.

The chefs win again.
  • Options
    MariaellaMariaella Posts: 1,311
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Missed today's. I must tune in on iplayer. What does it take to beat those chefs, eh?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I thought the amateurs were going to win today. I was surprised LG went for the chef’s pudding.