Options

Buying a fresh turkey for Christmas...how late do you leave it before buying?

cathrincathrin Posts: 4,968
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Anyone already bought a fresh turkey? I always intend to wait and buy mine just a couple of days before Christmas, so it's as fresh as possible. But then I start to panic in case they run out, so I usually buy it around the 21st/22nd.

I've noticed that the "cook by" date on all turkeys is always the same (26th), whether you buy it a week before Christmas or on Christmas Eve! So maybe it doesn't make any difference freshness-wise whether you buy it early or late?

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 18,013
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No problem getting them this early. They don't get fresher unless you are on a farm. They all had their necks wrung already lol
  • Options
    sarahcssarahcs Posts: 8,734
    Forum Member
    My dad ordered ours from a local turkey farm about a month ago. They will deliver it on Christmas Eve.
  • Options
    DaisyBumblerootDaisyBumbleroot Posts: 24,763
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cathrin wrote: »
    I've noticed that the "cook by" date on all turkeys is always the same (26th), whether you buy it a week before Christmas or on Christmas Eve!

they'll all have been frozen beforehand and i reckon its also so you dont buy it and keep it, it makes sure the turkey market is still moving after 26th
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    they'll all have been frozen beforehand and i reckon its also so you dont buy it and keep it, it makes sure the turkey market is still moving after 26th

It will have to be stated on the label if they have been previously frozen.
  • Options
    toastietoastie Posts: 2,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We are getting ours on Chritsmas Eve from the local Butcher.:)
  • Options
    squibblesquibble Posts: 750
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    M&S, Christmas Eve - quarter price. Lush.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,554
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We pre-order from the local butcher.. Pick up on 23rd.
  • Options
    LushnessLushness Posts: 38,169
    Forum Member
    I'll buy my bird from M&S on Christmas Eve by 7:30am, will get my lamb from Waitrose though.
  • Options
    AbrielAbriel Posts: 8,525
    Forum Member
    squibble wrote: »
    M&S, Christmas Eve - quarter price. Lush.
    Can you guarantee they'll have some left though, we haven't bought/ordered ours yet and I'm staring to panic, don't want to have to get a huge one:o
  • Options
    squibblesquibble Posts: 750
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Abriel wrote: »
    Can you guarantee they'll have some left though, we haven't bought/ordered ours yet and I'm staring to panic, don't want to have to get a huge one:o

One of the daughter's gets them at staff waste as the store closes. You'd be amazed at how many people forget to pick them up after ordering them. I think she got seven crowns last year and we gave them away to family.

As they're raw meat they can't go to the homeless shelters.

I'd go in Monday and see if you can order one for Wednesday.