Options

Long 'Ethernet Cable'

kaskas Posts: 440
Forum Member
Hi,
I have a Pace Sky+ HD box and looks like I am ready to enjoy Anytime +. Just got to decide how to connect.
I can probably route a long ethernet cable to my HD box discreetly, but am wondering if by using a long cable say 10m whether this will affect the download speed, although may still be better than wireless option (cost and lack of power outlets required).
Can anyone tell me if long cables work ok?
Thanks

Comments

• Options
    QuackersQuackers Posts: 4,830
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Your normal CAT5 Ethernet cable should be OK for upto 100M.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Ok that's good to know, just bit of hassle trying to run it to HD box discreetly now!
    Anyone got any good ebay recommendations for long ethernet cables?
  • Options
    BatchBatch Posts: 3,344
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kas wrote: »
    Hi,
    but am wondering if by using a long cable say 10m whether this will affect the download speed,

As long as you make sure it is downhill from the router to the box it'll be fine :) (yes it was a bad joke)

No recommendations from ebay as such, I bought a cheap 5m cable recently in anticipation of Anytime+ and it seems fine (seller: safekom). Though I can't use it for anytime+ yet (thanks Sky).

There is potentially always the homeplug option if running a cable proves too tricky. Though that is going to cost a fair bit more.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Batch wrote: »
    As long as you make sure it is downhill from the router to the box it'll be fine :) (yes it was a bad joke)

Yes I can confirm that was a very bad joke!;)

Had thought of the homeplug route, but finding spare sockets is always a problem and I am not sure how they work with socket extensions.

Have ordered a 10m cable now anyway so will at least be able to see how good (or bad) Anytime+ is.
  • Options
    REPASSACREPASSAC Posts: 2,017
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kas wrote: »
    Yes I can confirm that was a very bad joke!;)

Had thought of the homeplug route, but finding spare sockets is always a problem and I am not sure how they work with socket extensions.

Have ordered a 10m cable now anyway so will at least be able to see how good (or bad) Anytime+ is.

I would suggest that for anyone buying more than two longish cables that making your own is quite easy [1 tool, 100M roll cable, plenty of connectors and boots] - you get exactly the length you need. Connections and advice can be found on the internet. [p.s. buy extra connectors to allow for errors].