Should Champions League losers be allowed into the Europa League?

Comments

• BigBmadBigBmad Posts: 18,278
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Steve AWOL wrote: »
    Basel and Fenerbache are also Champions League drop-outs, having both lost during the qualifying rounds but given a 2nd chance in the Europa League.

Maybe if the the EL winners were rewarded with a CL spot the following season it would redeem the competition somewhat but in it's current format it is little more than a way for the bigger clubs to continue raking in European cash when they've had a bad CL campaign.

Yeah put least they went through the group stages of Europa League to get to where they are
  • alanrollinsalanrollins Posts: 3,045
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think the argument for teams missing out in the qualifying rounds getting a crack at the EL is a lot more credible than the one which says once you are in the CL groups, you can still get a wildcard from third place into the CL.
  • KarlHydeKarlHyde Posts: 1,830
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't have a problem with teams who fail to reach the group stage of the Champions League entering the Europa League, but I don't think 3rd placed teams from the CL group stage should be allowed to enter the EL.
    I agree.

But if UEFA insists on having eight teams from the CL group stage in the EL knockout rounds, they should at least force them to play against each other in R32 and R16 so that only two of them survive.
  • snukrsnukr Posts: 19,676
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Plus 3 missing consecutive European Cups at Goodison.

PSV would have been the toughest test in 88.
    Three consecutive? You only won the league twice. There's no way you would have won it, you'd probably have gone out in the first round on both ocassions. :D
  • jeffiner1892jeffiner1892 Posts: 14,300
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Plus 3 missing consecutive European Cups at Goodison.

PSV would have been the toughest test in 88.

Doesn't necessarily mean Everton would have won 3 European cups.
  • circlebro2019circlebro2019 Posts: 17,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    im happy with it as it makes it more exciting in the knockout stages imo

is it fair to others? perhaps not but i think it makes a good competion better personally.
  • Jim De VilleJim De Ville Posts: 16,118
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Europa League is a mess, from top to bottom. Qualification criteria (ie. winning the League Cup), the fact that it's too big, and goes on for too long, with too many rounds, not playing everyone twice, in the group stage, and the parachuting Champions League teams entering the mix. All of this just complicates things, far more than is needed, in my opinion.
  • misawa97misawa97 Posts: 11,579
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No. It makes the Europa Leage a joke.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    snukr wrote: »
    Three consecutive? You only won the league twice. There's no way you would have won it, you'd probably have gone out in the first round on both ocassions. :D

Yes but winning it in 86 would have meant the chance to defend it in 1987. Given it was won by Steaua Bucharest in 86, and we had just won the CWC, it isn't exactly fantasy.

Should we have a discussion about why Everton were unable to take part?
    Doesn't necessarily mean Everton would have won 3 European cups.

I realise that, it was a jokey remark following a similar theme to celesti's earlier one about Coventry winning the CWC.

Some of you Liverpool supporters really do make fools of yourselves at times. I think the majority of Liverpool fans on here would be quite embarrassed to read comments like those above, particularly snukrs.
  • celesticelesti Posts: 25,977
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I remember we lost that Charity Shield to Everton in '87 in I think a 1-0er.

I wasn't bothered at the time yet here we are 25 years later, and I'd slaughter a kitten if it got me a trip to the JPT final.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes but winning it in 86 would have meant the chance to defend it in 1987. Given it was won by Steaua Bucharest in 86, and we had just won the CWC, it isn't exactly fantasy.

Should we have a discussion about why Everton were unable to take part?

I realise that, it was a jokey remark following a similar theme to celesti's earlier one about Coventry winning the CWC.

Some of you Liverpool supporters really do make fools of yourselves at times. I think the majority of Liverpool fans on here would be quite embarrassed to read comments like those above, particularly snukrs.

Probably not wise (I realise that it was a rhetorical question).
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Probably not wise.

Yes, much like the post I replied to.

Its a bit poor IMO when a joke at noone's particular expense is seized on by rival fans in that fashion.
  • KarlHydeKarlHyde Posts: 1,830
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Qualification criteria (ie. winning the League Cup),
    Yes but that's not entirely UEFA's fault. England and France could/should just abolish their league cups and let the qualifying berth revert back to the league. This would also be beneficial for your UEFA coefficient because you'd send stronger teams to Europe.

England has been in a luxurious position in recent years and the League Cup teams didn't do much harm but France has suffered badly from sending second rate clubs into UEFA Cup and Europa League.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    celesti wrote: »
    I remember we lost that Charity Shield to Everton in '87 in I think a 1-0er.

AKA the European Super Cup that never was. :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes, much like the post I replied to.

Its a bit poor IMO when a joke at noone's particular expense is seized on by rival fans in that fashion.

Given that a large number of Everton fans DO think it I don't know why you're so surprised people were immediately cynical.
  • skimminstonesskimminstones Posts: 8,403
    Forum Member
    the everton '85 team was a very good side. Id be very surprised if they didnt get to at least the semi finals if they were allowed to. No way would they have gone out in the first round.
  • Big Boy BarryBig Boy Barry Posts: 35,377
    Forum Member
    It's only a matter of time before the EL is merged into the CL

Then we'll have an extension of today's problems where clubs care even less about winning cups and place all priority on securing those precious 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th and 7th spots.
  • Steveaustin316Steveaustin316 Posts: 15,779
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Then we'll have an extension of today's problems where clubs care even less about winning cups and place all priority on securing those precious 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th and 7th spots.

I hope they don't do that. The current CL format is fine as it is.(minus the 3rd place teams entering the EL)
  • JokanovicJokanovic Posts: 12,181
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

My god, how boring that will all be till the knockout stages.
  • ShaunIOWShaunIOW Posts: 11,320
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No, once out of the CL then that should be it, I'd also include the CL qualifier losers in that as well and only give the current league champions of a country automatic entry to the group stage as at it stands winning the league gives you no advantage over 2nd and 3rd place (do away with seeding apart from champions and country protection as well).
  • Big Boy BarryBig Boy Barry Posts: 35,377
    Forum Member
    I'd like to see this format for European club football

Three competitions.

- UEFA European Cup
    - UEFA Cup
    - UEFA Cup Winners Cup

All should be organised on a two-legged knockout format up to the final, played on a neutral ground. No group formats and no seedings or country protections should be used. Random draws after every round. The prize money for the UC and CWC needs to be raised to quadruple the present prize money for the Europa League. The winners of all three competitions should also get EC places for the following season.Qualification should be reformed too. Using the Premier League as an example, 1st and 2nd go into the EC. 3rd and 4th into the UC. The FA Cup and League Cup winners into the CWC. If a team qualifies for two European competitions, they play in both. This way, winning a cup would be given priority again, rather than just qualifying for one. Instead of having one over-bloated competition, you can have three concise ones.
  • Joey BoswellJoey Boswell Posts: 25,141
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No they shouldnt be allowed to participate in the Europa League as wel, knocked out of Champions League shouldnt mean you are able to have another bite of a different cherry.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I definitely think if they're going to keep them in they need to sort it that group winners don't play them. What's the point of busting a gut to win the group when you then get drawn against a team who's just played in a higher level competition?
  • NinjyBearNinjyBear Posts: 8,317
    Forum Member
    I'm also not keen on losing cup finalists being allowed into the Europa League. That should be done away with as well.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'd like to see this format for European club football

Three competitions.

- UEFA European Cup
    - UEFA Cup
    - UEFA Cup Winners Cup

All should be organised on a two-legged knockout format up to the final, played on a neutral ground. No group formats and no seedings or country protections should be used. Random draws after every round. The prize money for the UC and CWC needs to be raised to quadruple the present prize money for the Europa League. The winners of all three competitions should also get EC places for the following season.Qualification should be reformed too. Using the Premier League as an example, 1st and 2nd go into the EC. 3rd and 4th into the UC. The FA Cup and League Cup winners into the CWC. If a team qualifies for two European competitions, they play in both. This way, winning a cup would be given priority again, rather than just qualifying for one. Instead of having one over-bloated competition, you can have three concise ones.

Unfortunately, I think that it'll go the other way. It's only a matter of time, before the European Super League is given the green light. All about the moolah, I'm afraid.