Options

Tony Pulis set to leave Stoke City

Comments

• Options
    walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 56,919
    Forum Member
    SSN reporting Hughes will join Stoke within the next 24 hours.

That could be it for Stoke.

They suit his management far better than the last few places he's found himself.
  • Options
    Joey BoswellJoey Boswell Posts: 25,141
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mark Hughes has had more clubs then I have had hot dinners.

Reckon Stoke are in for a real struggle next season with Sparky at the helm.
  • Options
    Robbedin73Robbedin73 Posts: 7,859
    Forum Member
    Mark Hughes has had more clubs then I have had hot dinners.

Reckon Stoke are in for a real struggle next season with Sparky at the helm.

There's a picture currently doing rounds on the usual suspects
    About a guys one man protest against Hughes
    But then again when you have been responsible for relegating
    3 premier league clubs or as good as you can understand their feelings
    Poor stoke
  • Options
    coolercooler Posts: 13,024
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sparky has a chance to prove them all wrong now. QPR was a diaster, but he's had time to reflect and learn from his mistakes.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,160
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cooler wrote: »
    Sparky has a chance to prove them all wrong now. QPR was a diaster, but he's had time to reflect and learn from his mistakes.

At first I was gutted, but the more I think about it the more i'm warming to it. I think he'll do ok so long as he doesn't try to make us play like Arsenal over night :)
  • Options
    FuddFudd Posts: 167,001
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hughes did well for Wales, was fine at Fulham and reasonable at Manchester City. His QPR record is a disaster but if the players think they're the be all and end all then the manager can't do much about it. I think he may do ok at Stoke.
  • Options
    alanrollinsalanrollins Posts: 3,045
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think his spell at QPR has resulted in some very harsh assessments. He is a good manager of middle of the pack sides and it would be surprising if Stoke suddenly hit a complete tail spin with him in charge.
  • Options
    taurus_67taurus_67 Posts: 6,953
    Forum Member
    I don't think they're doing themselves many favours with Hughes. Poyet or Zola would've been far more adventurous and interesting choices.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 67,320
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I cant believe yet another premier league club are buying into this guy! To me Mark Hughes is just not good enough for this level!
  • Options
    BigBmadBigBmad Posts: 18,285
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think his spell at QPR has resulted in some very harsh assessments. He is a good manager of middle of the pack sides and it would be surprising if Stoke suddenly hit a complete tail spin with him in charge.

A Stoke tailspin wouldn't be sudden at all after the season they have just had
  • Options
    SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I still can't understand what Pullis has done wrong.

It may not be football related.
  • Options
    mrblankmrblank Posts: 5,687
    Forum Member
    SULLA wrote: »

his ugly football is why he lost his job
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SULLA wrote: »

He only had one way, which worked ok for the first couple of years but once everyone worked out how to combat our way there was no "plan B". And he was only really interested in surviving not progressing.
  • Options
    Cantona07Cantona07 Posts: 56,910
    Forum Member
    graham001 wrote: »
    He only had one way, which worked ok for the first couple of years but once everyone worked out how to combat our way there was no "plan B". And he was only really interested in surviving not progressing.

As opposed to the forward thinking visionary with the impeccable track record that has just been given the task of "progressing" the club?

By all means look for the change of direction or whatever but at least have some sort of plan. Mark Hughes is not a plan.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BigBmad wrote: »
    A Stoke tailspin wouldn't be sudden at all after the season they have just had

In 2011-12 they finished 14th.

In 2012-13 they finished 13th.

So they improved a place.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I read somewhere that Stoke were 14th in wage bill. So they are finishing about where they ought to.

I hate the use of net spend figures, in which Pulis was third. Net spends often gets skewed by the fact that you probably had naff all to start with. It is painting him as a ridiculous under achiever when infact he has done immense things with the club.

That said I don't think Mark Hughes is the prat some are painting him as. He was a good manager for Wales and Blackburn, his face didn't really fit at Fulham and QPR has been a dogs dinner for a couple of years quite honestly, regardless of who was in charge. Harry Redknapp didn't really even get close to keeping them up.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cantona07 wrote: »
    As opposed to the forward thinking visionary with the impeccable track record that has just been given the task of "progressing" the club?

By all means look for the change of direction or whatever but at least have some sort of plan. Mark Hughes is not a plan.

I didn't make the choice and I probably wouldn't have chosen Hughes (depending on the choices of course) but time will tell if he's the right man for the job.
    Stoke could never have played the short one two passing game that many managers would want so a manager with a similar (but more refined) style to Pulis was required.
    Lets see what happens, I'm excited :-).
  • Options
    mike65mike65 Posts: 11,386
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mark Hughes confirmed
  • Options
    Robbedin73Robbedin73 Posts: 7,859
    Forum Member
    mike65 wrote: »
    Mark Hughes confirmed

Am actually going to be in stoke I'm a few hours could be interesting to see recreation :cool:
  • Options
    MalbrenMalbren Posts: 3,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What do people see in Mark hughes as a premiership manager? Whatever it is, I don't see it!

Must annoy some managers to see the same one's constantly recycled.
  • Options
    apaulapaul Posts: 9,846
    Forum Member
    Hughes aiming for a top half finish. Where have I heard that before? http://blogs.bettor.com/QPR-can-finish-in-the-top-half,-insists-Mark-Hughes-a201960
  • Options
    jackyorkjackyork Posts: 6,608
    Forum Member
    Fudd wrote: »
    Hughes did well for Wales, was fine at Fulham and reasonable at Manchester City. His QPR record is a disaster but if the players think they're the be all and end all then the manager can't do much about it. I think he may do ok at Stoke.
    Hughes inherited a decent squad from Yorath that had just missed out on qualification.
  • Options
    circlebro2019circlebro2019 Posts: 17,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i dont think hughes is anywhere near as bad as some make out, he did a great job with wales IIRC and fulham/blackburn

stoke will probably remain midtableish this season
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    whedon247 wrote: »
    i dont think hughes is anywhere near as bad as some make out, he did a great job with wales IIRC and fulham/blackburn

stoke will probably remain midtableish this season

Agreed.
  • Options
    allafixallafix Posts: 20,690
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fudd wrote: »
    His record at Fulham was hardly fine, it was OK. 32% wins is not a sparkling record. Hughes doesn't really have a history of improving teams. He can maintain the status quo. At QPR he made a bad situation much worse. So I agree he'll do OK at Stoke, which is a stable club, keeping them just below mid table.

This is excellent news for QPR fans as Harry Redknapp now has someone who will actually want to buy the players he needs to get rid of.