Intense Dislike of Some Voices

2»

Comments

• mrsgrumpy49mrsgrumpy49 Posts: 10,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Duncan Barkes (LBC) has this effect on me. I haven't got the hang of the pre-sets on a newish radio and if I switch on to LBC and he's on, I have to frantically scroll for my next favourite channel and turn down the volume while I'm doing it because the sound of his voice is like torture. Thought I was the only one like this! :D
  • Poppy99_PoppyPoppy99_Poppy Posts: 2,255
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Water sloshing about in an iron gets on my nerves too!
  • AsmoAsmo Posts: 15,327
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Caxton wrote: »
    Yes it's that damn Quooker advert — "There's a tap that makes your coffee, there's a tap that makes your tea" . . . . . " that one, it certainly is a very annoying voice

Sorry for the gravedigging of the thread, but I just noticed this ad on Sky News this morning (previously also found the voiceover aural torture), and it seems as of this week they've changed it to a far softer voice and volume level...!

Don't need to rush for the mute button when the screen goes pink anymore.
  • mrsgrumpy49mrsgrumpy49 Posts: 10,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    People (other than Aussies) who end every sentence with a rise - as if they are asking a question :confused:
    The silent 'g' not being silent :confused:
    Scottish and Brummie accents (sorry).
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1
    Forum Member
    Oh gosh, so there is a name for why I cannot stand some of the women's voices on TV (they sound like cackling hens - especially when they accentuate their vowels). I cannot stand the 'Cillit Bang man's voice. I have to turn the tele off. To be fair, he is SO annoying anyway.

Also I remember working in the same office as a lady that spoke with quite a high pitched and raucous voice. She was a very nice lady but I had to go home one afternoon as I could no longer cope.

I also cannot bear the sound of the allotment gates that clank nearly all day near my house. Apparently I am the only one in the road who has complained. I can handle what I call 'necessary' noises but, to my obviously diseased mind, some people like making a racket just for the sake of it.

We live in an increasingly noisy world and I think most people have something that 'gets on their nerves'. We are obviously not happy unless we can put a label on the reason we may feel this way. If we find everything irritating then maybe we are just 'miserable curmudgeons'.

In the meanwhile I have now diagnosed myself as having Misophonia..

Learn something new every day!!! :o:D

On the brighter side, I can fully appreciate the magic to be found in some voices. :blush:
  • TeganRhanTeganRhan Posts: 2,947
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    (Respondent Raymond). "I guess if you get a fork thrown at you, I guess you’ll stop slurping cereal.” LMFAO

Seriously though, I read the article and I identify with up to level 10 but only on certain sounds. Do I think I have it? No. I just think I've very low tolerance. I don't get "distressed" I get wound up.
  • SJ_MentalSJ_Mental Posts: 16,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Another level ten here >.>
  • TeganRhanTeganRhan Posts: 2,947
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The booking.com advert makes me ht a 10 atm. The dog barking "Book" I have to hit mute as it fills me with rage.
  • barbelerbarbeler Posts: 23,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's dogs barking that gets to me and it's a sound that winds me up more than anything else I can think of. I don't mind them howling or whining so much, it's just that repetitive barking which makes me want to kill them – and Robert Peston.
  • NoxyNoxy Posts: 5,578
    Forum Member
    tiacat wrote: »
    Its not something Ive ever discussed with someone to be honest. I am quite an odd person in that I have a plethora of anxieties and Im very sensitive to noise and light. I get claustrophobic by too much noise or clutter around me, (although I dont suffer from actual claustrophobia). I have the telly on very low to the extent that my OH cant hear it that well!

Could you have Asperger's?
  • NoxyNoxy Posts: 5,578
    Forum Member
    I'm a very calm person but drivers honking horns constantly, especially at each other, turns me into Johnny from The Shining!
  • Poppy99_PoppyPoppy99_Poppy Posts: 2,255
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TeganRhan wrote: »
    The booking.com advert makes me ht a 10 atm. The dog barking "Book" I have to hit mute as it fills me with rage.

God, yes. It is maddening.
  • Pink WaferPink Wafer Posts: 543
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm so glad I'm not alone in this. I do have only one ear that works thanks to a childhood operation so that won't be helping. I really struggle with high pitch noises, dogs barking, even at a distance, kids voices. I even wish I could disconnect the music box on the local ice cream van.

It's so bad, I can feel the tension on the side of my good ear. It's horrible. I thought it was just me.