Options

A question about Leon

Comments

• Options
    Muttley76Muttley76 Posts: 97,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    FWIW, I know some peeps will say that The X Factor is all about discovering *new* talent, but I personally view it as an opportunity for *anyone* to gain some exposure and a foothold in the industry. It doesn't really bother me if they've tried before, had training or even if there are better people out there. :o

I think there's room for everyone, I think having a mix of acts from different backgrounds with different levels of experience is what makes the show compelling....it's when they have too many similar acts that it runs the risk of getting bland. :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 429
    Forum Member
    Muttley76 wrote: »
    Vocally Leon is much naturally gifted than Ray, though Ray was a supremely confident and very competent performer. Ray was likeable in the cheeky chappy sense, Leon is likeable in a vulnerable way.

I don't really get the Ray/Leon comparison, tbh....it is quite a tentative connection if it is really there at all.

And who knows what the future holds? The reality is Leona is really the only act to come out of XF to achieve international successes, so I don't think it's a fair to say he's nothing special on that basis.

It's all about personal opinion, I guess...:)

The connection is likeability factor, not a great singing voice.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The connection is likeability factor, not a great singing voice.

Yes, I get that, but I think they are likeable in very different ways....:)
  • Options
    tiggosaurustiggosaurus Posts: 3,653
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Vocally Leon is much naturally gifted than Ray, though Ray was a supremely confident and very competent performer. Ray was likeable in the cheeky chappy sense, Leon is likeable in a vulnerable way.
    I have to admit I wasn't that fussed on Ray last year - a bit of a one-trick pony IMHO. I think him and Leon are on a par. Leon may have slightly more versatility and Ray is a better performer. A combination of the two might = x factor, but individually I don't quite see it.

Agreed that both have the likeability factor though. :D
  • Options
    lulu glulu g Posts: 52,649
    Forum Member
    Thanks for the replies and clarifications so far. :)

IMHO Leon obviously lacks stagecraft and I was honestly a bit puzzled as to why he hadn't done something about it before.

FWIW, I know some peeps will say that The X Factor is all about discovering *new* talent, but I personally view it as an opportunity for *anyone* to gain some exposure and a foothold in the industry. It doesn't really bother me if they've tried before, had training or even if there are better people out there. :o

It's Saturday night entertainment and, as such, it's the connection the chosen few make with the viewing public that counts. Leon has obviously done OK in that respect (though he's not my particular favourite). :)
    I wouldn't necessarily exclude contestants who have had extensive vocal training, like Rhydian, or who have attended stage school, like Leona, although clearly it does give them an advantage over the genuine novices. However, contestants like Leon - ordinary people with a raw, untrained, vocal talent - embody the original concept of The X Factor, and surely for a complete amateur with talent to do well against all odds brings that warm feeling of satisfaction that only comes with the whole 'living the dream' thing.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    lulu g wrote: »
    I wouldn't necessarily exclude contestants who have had extensive vocal training, like Rhydian, or who have attended stage school, like Leona, although clearly it does give them an advantage over the genuine novices. However, contestants like Leon - ordinary people with a raw, untrained, vocal talent - embody the original concept of The X Factor, and surely for a complete amateur with talent to do well against all odds brings that warm feeling of satisfaction that only comes with the whole 'living the dream' thing.

I remember Simon saying “I don’t know what is keeping Leon in. It must be the likeability factor” he said nothing to do with raw talent LOL or he embody the original concept of the X Factor.:rolleyes:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I remember Simon saying “I don’t know what is keeping Leon in. It must be the likeability factor” he said nothing to do with raw talent LOL or he embody the original concept of the X Factor.:rolleyes:
    I heard what he said. I also heard him say that he himself had the likability factor, and that Hope were the best band ever to appear on The X Factor. I am not led by what Simon says. He has his own agenda at all times.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I heard what he said. I also heard him say that he himself had the likability factor, and that Hope were the best band ever to appear on The X Factor. I am not led by what Simon says. He has his own agenda at all times.

Your right Simon has his own agenda (money). I genuinely believe he thinks he can make something out of them (Hope). There haven’t been many great groups on the X Factor; it’s a difficult category to promote.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Your right Simon has his own agenda (money). I genuinely believe he thinks he can make something out of them (Hope). There haven’t been many great groups on the X Factor; it’s a difficult category to promote.
    I believe he thought he could. I believe he was wrong. Since they have already been in the bottom two twice, I believe even Simon knows he was wrong.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I believe he thought he could. I believe he was wrong. Since they have already been in the bottom two twice, I believe even Simon knows he was wrong.

I agree with you:)
  • Options
    MARTYM8MARTYM8 Posts: 44,710
    Forum Member
    Leon is a better singer than everyone in Westlife - they have sold millions of records, sell out tours all over the world and 11+ number ones.

Having a successful musical career isn't all about talent or having the world's best singing voice - its also about likeability!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    MARTYM8 wrote: »
    Leon is a better singer than everyone in Westlife - they have sold millions of records, sell out tours all over the world and 11+ number ones.

Having a successful musical career isn't all about talent or having the world's best singing voice - its also about likeability!

Point taken:)
  • Options
    SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think Leon is extremely talented. He has only been singing for a few months, yet he's got a great voice and the 'cheeky chappy' factor on stage! He always makes me smile when he sings. :)

Some people have been singing/performing for years, yet their voices are not on a par with Leon's. Leon is a natural! :)
  • Options
    Leanne88Leanne88 Posts: 217
    Forum Member
    Leon - i think hes cute but god he annoys me. his voice is crap he should have been out weeks ago...

Ray quinn all over again, god enough of michael bublue wannabe too

nah he cannit song he needs to go along with hope
  • Options
    Forum Member
    cute chick wrote: »
    I think Leon is extremely talented. He has only been singing for a few months, yet he's got a great voice and the 'cheeky chappy' factor on stage! He always makes me smile when he sings. :)

Some people have been singing/performing for years, yet their voices are not on a par with Leon's. Leon is a natural! :)

I know you’re a Leon fan, however delusion is dangerous.
  • Options
    Carnage VisorsCarnage Visors Posts: 59
    Forum Member
    I remember Simon saying; "Very few people walk into this audition room with a natural talent like yours." That was just before he added the fourth 'yes', following one of the best auditions in the entire history of the show.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I know you’re a Leon fan, however delusion is dangerous.

That's quite a rude comment to make. Just because YOU don't think Leon is especially talented or a great singer, it doesn't make it a fact. People are quite entitled to see things differently to you without it being implied they are deluded.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    That's quite a rude comment to make. Just because YOU don't think Leon is especially talented or a great singer, it doesn't make it a fact. People are quite entitled to see things differently to you without it being implied they are deluded.

No wonder there is so much rubbish in the charts. Yes, people are entitled to like what ever they want; it still doesn’t mean its extreme talent. I thought what cute chick said was OTT.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I remember Simon saying; "Very few people walk into this audition room with a natural talent like yours." That was just before he added the fourth 'yes', following one of the best auditions in the entire history of the show.

Do you believe Simon has that view now? I think a lot of the contestants have failed to live up to their expectation.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought what cute chick said was OTT.

Even if it was she is still entitled to feel that way without being insulted. You seem to be implying that your opinion is somehow more valid than someone else's. No need for that!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Even if it was she is still entitled to feel that way without being insulted. You seem to be implying that your opinion is somehow more valid than someone else's. No need for that!

I never said she was not entitled to her opinion. Some people are deluded, they make things out to be greater than they really are.
  • Options
    EvilredzebraEvilredzebra Posts: 16,165
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't really get the "Leon has an amazing voice" thing but do think he has progressed well during the live shows, having presumably escaped elimination over the car crash that was the first couple of weeks through his "likeability factor". However, for me, I don't really care about the back story, how much training somebody has had etc. - I want the winner to be the person who is the best right now, not the person who has potential. And that is why I don't think Leon should be there.

Maybe in a year with some singing lessons and stage experience he would be a more credible contender but at the moment there are too many bum notes and too much awkwardness in performance to make him anything remotely resembling a star.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I don't really get the "Leon has an amazing voice" thing but do think he has progressed well during the live shows, having presumably escaped elimination over the car crash that was the first couple of weeks through his "likeability factor". However, for me, I don't really care about the back story, how much training somebody has had etc. - I want the winner to be the person who is the best right now, not the person who has potential. And that is why I don't think Leon should be there.

Maybe in a year with some singing lessons and stage experience he would be a more credible contender but at the moment there are too many bum notes and too much awkwardness in performance to make him anything remotely resembling a star.

Thank God a voice of reason!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I never said she was not entitled to her opinion. Some people are deluded, they make things out to be greater than they really are.

So in your eyes, she is entitled to her opinion but is deluded? That means you are failing to respect her right to see things differently to you.

You do not think Leon has something special about him, other people do. There is no right or wrong view on this, both are equally valid positions to hold. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    So in your eyes, she is entitled to her opinion but is deluded? That means you are failing to respect her right to see things differently to you.

You do not think Leon has something special about him, other people do. There is no right or wrong view on this, both are equally valid positions to hold. :)

No I am not failing to respect her right to see things differently from me.

She can say the sky is green, but it doesn’t make it so.

Yes it is all about your personal opinion?