Options

Disabled BBC presenter 'scaring' children

2»

Comments

• Options
    yorkiegalyorkiegal Posts: 18,929
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    These are probably the same parents who complained about one of the teletubbies being gay.

Kids aren't freaked out by things like this. Not unless they grow older without having come across anyone who's a little bit different.

I have to admit that I am very phobic about amputees. That's my problem, not theirs. I wouldn't be able to watch the show for that reason, but I think it's good to have more diversity on the tv.
  • Options
    Vince JVince J Posts: 1,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Kids don't know any better unless their parents are telling them nonsense or are not correcting them when appropriate.
  • Options
    BigearsBigears Posts: 633
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have to say that I have not noticed this girl had one arm untill all this blew up. All that I had noticed when sitting with the kids was that Poi had gone.

The kids had not noticed either, but then they are not really interested in the people just the activities or the songs.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 340
    Forum Member
    The daily mash seemed to be able to give a rather good view on this

http://www.thedailymash.co.uk/news/society/satan-makes-room-for-parents-who-complained-about-disabled-tv-presenter-200902241599/

on a serious note, I dispair in some parents... just how silly do they need to be!!
  • Options
    slappers r usslappers r us Posts: 56,131
    Forum Member
    Doesnt bother me or my 2 yearold grandaughter that she is disabled

but it bothers me that her and the new bloke are crap presenters (even my GD asks where her Poi Poi has gone)
  • Options
    funkycubfunkycub Posts: 9,350
    Forum Member
    I thought it was sad when I first heard and terribly narrow minded of the parents. The presenter was born without a lower part of her arm and I think she could be a fantastic role model and someone great to have on kids TV.

Then I read the article and saw a parent saying her two year old was scared, which actually then occured to me that it must be heard to explain to a two year old and if you did, it might not sink in.

If she is a good presenter it shouldn't matter, maybe CBBC1 rather than Cbeebies which is aimed at the tiniies may have been a better idea. As you are more likely to be able to explain to a child four or up.

I did find it strange tho when I read the BB website that they said there had only been a HANDFUL of complaints. I am trying not to being bad there but it was like someone with a sense of humour was writing the article as it said that four times
  • Options
    MutterMutter Posts: 3,269
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jamieg wrote: »
    My three year old loves cbeebies, she has noticed that the presenter only has one arm (she asked if a monster stole it or if the lady is hiding it :o ) we explained that she may have been born like that as its easier than explaining amputation to a 3 year old and she seemed fine with our answer.
    I think it's stupid to stop children from watching cbeebies because of the presenter.

If only all parents had your good sense Jamieg. Frankly if I had child who suffered nightmares because of it, I'd assume my child had a lot more wrong with it than the presenter does.
  • Options
    doctor klaredoctor klare Posts: 182
    Forum Member
    Some parents are pathetic so what if she has a disability.