Options

General etiquette, visitors to your home.

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 525
Forum Member
✭✭
What is the correct etiquette for the following situation?

Your partner invites his/hers friend and their partner over. You feel slightly uneasy around the friends partner because the partner is somewhat sensitive and emotional unstable (in your opinion).

Your partner hasn't returned home, but his/her friends have arrived and you are alerted by the fact by someone. So you look out and see and they are just sitting in their car.

You call your partner and tell him/her that his/her friends have arrived and where he/she is and they say they are on their way.

You don't go to the door because, you are expecting them to ring the door bell, like most people do when they are ready to, announce their presence and come into your home.

You wait about 5-10 mins and call your partner and your partner says "why haven't you let them in" and your reply "because they are sitting in their car".

So you go and wave them in. Now your partner tells you that they complained about the situation to them and they say they saw u in the window.

Do you think the friends, are overreacting? Because in all my years on this planet people do not sit in their cars, when they reach your home and expect you to call them in. What if they were having a domestic or private chat?

What are your opinions please.

Comments

• Options
    Jimmy ConnorsJimmy Connors Posts: 117,882
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    If I saw them sitting outside in their car, I would assume they're having a private chat/argument before coming in.

I certainly would not go outside and usher them in. I am not a doorman. :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 21,093
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd tell them to wise up and never darken my door again.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If I saw them sitting outside in their car, I would assume they're having a private chat/argument before coming in.

That was my thought, who comes to someones door and expects them to call them in?

Weird people!
  • Options
    billyboy789billyboy789 Posts: 1,373
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    .............are they still in the car ?
  • Options
    elliecatelliecat Posts: 9,890
    Forum Member
    if they haven't rung the bell then I will just pretend I haven't seen them.
  • Options
    Mrs de WinterMrs de Winter Posts: 2,867
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bizarre behaviour (by them!). You didn't do anything wrong at all. How peculiar of them to have just stayed in their car!
  • Options
    Mrs de WinterMrs de Winter Posts: 2,867
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    elliecat wrote: »
    if they haven't rung the bell then I will just pretend I haven't seen them.

Yes, that's what I'd probably do too :o
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    .............are they still in the car ?

NO! but should of left them their, till he came...lol
  • Options
    Granny McSmithGranny McSmith Posts: 19,622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sounds like they are moaners. If you had gone out (which no normal person would expect), I bet they'd have said you interrupted a private conversation.

Take no notice, is my advice. Maybe they won't come again.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sounds like they are moaners. If you had gone out (which no normal person would expect), I bet they'd have said you interrupted a private conversation.

Take no notice, is my advice. Maybe they won't come again.

I think they are too. I think I offended the friends partner once and she has held onto it. I only said what I said to stop her force feeding me.

I only ate at her house out of politeness and I didn't want my partner to feel uncomfortable. But the last straw was when she gave me some food and I got home and was sick (only time that happened what when I was pregnant).
  • Options
    Jimmy ConnorsJimmy Connors Posts: 117,882
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Love_able wrote: »
    That was my thought, who comes to someones door and expects them to call them in?

Weird people!

Nobody I know anyway.
    They sound very high maintenance tbh.
  • Options
    PictoPicto Posts: 24,270
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I remember my brother calling to my house once. I saw him pull up in his car and i expected him to knock on the door almost immediately. After about 5 minutes i looked out of the window and he was still sat in the car so i left him to it. After another 5 minutes he was still there so i went out to see what was going on.

One of our dogs was sat on the garden wall (8 foot high) right next to his car and he was too scared to get out in case the dog jumped onto his head
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13,481
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I am yet another who would've done the same as you, Love_able. "If in doubt, do nowt" is usually a reliable maxim. I wonder what your guests think front doors and bells or door knockers are for?
  • Options
    glasshalffullglasshalffull Posts: 22,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not sure who are the weird ones? :confused:

People who sit outside other people's houses?

People who invite guests round and are then not there when they arrive?

People who have to phone someone for advice because visitors are sitting outside.?
  • Options
    stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    Bizarre behaviour (by them!). You didn't do anything wrong at all. How peculiar of them to have just stayed in their car!

They were waiting for the butler to open the doors and bring umbrellas.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,246
    Forum Member

This. If they don't make their own way to the door they are not coming in.:D
  • Options
    FairyFeet1964FairyFeet1964 Posts: 510
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If someone came to my house and was just sitting in their car without knocking on the door I would assume they were talking or maybe listening to the end of something on the radio, my hubby sometimes does this when something football related is on so I would probably have just waited until they came to door.

For them to complain to your OH about not ushering you in is a bit silly really, most people would have knocked the door as is the normal etiquette! So I wouldn't worry if I was you, now had you ignored their knocking at the door that would have been different but since they didn't bother you're fine.

Nowt as strange as folk. :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,938
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If I see friends outside, I go and open the door slightly so they can come straight in when they are ready. Loads of times friend's come by and get chatting to a neighbour and I put the door on the latch for when they have finished chatting. Then they just walk in with a hello.