Options

Skinny, pre- pubescent models used in advertisments

candyfloss2000candyfloss2000 Posts: 1,314
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I was shocked looking at the latest chanel advert. None of my friends or myself can relate to the size of these skeletel models. How the hell can they get away with this? Hardly no one, and I mean no one I've ever seen in my every day life matches up to these stick like women. I'm not one to normally care about these things, i'm a healthy size 10 and i believe diets are for people with the IQ of 100 or less. But when I'm watching a show about music and the adverts come on and all of a sudden i'm presented with skeletel women who are supposed to be the epitome of all things glamorous and modern *barf* i cant ignore it. They are skinnier than my seven year old neices. Get a grip western world. Cos I as sure hell am tired of being forced to look at images of girls who are in no way representative of all the beautiful healthy girls I see around me on a daily basis in my real life.

Comments

• Options
    ChizzlefaceChizzleface Posts: 8,221
    Forum Member
    Cos I as sure hell am tired of being forced to look at images of girls who are in no way representative of all the beautiful healthy girls I see around me on a daily basis in my real life.

You're not forced. You have a choice - change the channel.
  • Options
    CaldariCaldari Posts: 5,890
    Forum Member
    Cos I as sure hell am tired of being forced to look at images of girls who are in no way representative of all the beautiful healthy girls I see around me on a daily basis in my real life.

Who's forcing you to look at said images and what the hell do lettuces have to do with anything?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think Kiera Knightly is pre-pubescent

unless she's being fed on those drugs they gave to East German gymnasts.
  • Options
    ishinaishina Posts: 4,255
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Attitudes like yours only contribute to an environment where young girls hate how they look. It is not necessary to display such vitriol against skinny girls to make your point. If it can be said to be a point at all, since I'm having to do some heavy reading between the lines to assume you have some half-cogent message in there somewhere, presumably something about healthy eating or exploitation in the fashion industry.
  • Options
    Hugh JboobsHugh Jboobs Posts: 15,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Meh. Change the channel and/or vote with your feet by not buyin the product.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 21,093
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i believe diets are for people with the IQ of 100 or less
    :confused: Really?
  • Options
    QueenMaudeQueenMaude Posts: 536
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You're not forced. You have a choice - change the channel.

Considering that 90% of advertising includes very skinny women I would say its better just to walk around with your eyes closed.
  • Options
    ChizzlefaceChizzleface Posts: 8,221
    Forum Member
    QueenMaude wrote: »
    Considering that 90% of advertising includes very skinny women I would say its better just to walk around with your eyes closed.

90%? Really?

If I've told you once I've told you a billion times, don't exaggerate.
  • Options
    zx50zx50 Posts: 91,273
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was shocked looking at the latest chanel advert. None of my friends or myself can relate to the size of these skeletel models. How the hell can they get away with this? Hardly no one, and I mean no one I've ever seen in my every day life matches up to these stick like women. I'm not one to normally care about these things, i'm a healthy size 10 and i believe diets are for people with the IQ of 100 or less. But when I'm watching a show about music and the adverts come on and all of a sudden i'm presented with skeletel women who are supposed to be the epitome of all things glamorous and modern *barf* i cant ignore it. They are skinnier than my seven year old neices. Get a grip western world. Cos I as sure hell am tired of being forced to look at images of girls who are in no way representative of all the beautiful healthy girls I see around me on a daily basis in my real life.

The fashion (and to do with image in any way) industry isn't really bothered about what's right but will encourage things that aren't right, just so they can make a mint of what they're selling. Skin and bone? Hmm... Curvy's so much better.

Edit: As for the bit in bold, what about people who are overweight that really need to lose weight for health reasons?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,941
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Only fat women, who aren't happy with their 'curves' (a word incorrectly used to describe fat) feel the need to be so vicious about models. Different body types can be equally as beautiful, there's really no need for the malice.
  • Options
    CryolemonCryolemon Posts: 8,670
    Forum Member
    bugloss wrote: »
    I don't think Kiera Knightly is pre-pubescent

unless she's being fed on those drugs they gave to East German gymnasts.

Stranger things have happened at sea.
  • Options
    Bex_123Bex_123 Posts: 10,783
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i believe diets are for people with the IQ of 100 or less.

Hmmmmmm.
  • Options
    RhumbatuggerRhumbatugger Posts: 85,713
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Darcy_ wrote: »
    Only fat women, who aren't happy with their 'curves' (a word incorrectly used to describe fat) feel the need to be so vicious about models. Different body types can be equally as beautiful, there's really no need for the malice.

Really? I get worried about the promotion of the 'very thin' as some 'ideal' because I have seen the effect of this on many teenaged girls, who cannot conform to this.

There is also a lot of pressure on models themselves to be thinner than they naturally should be.

Yes, all types of body shape can be beautiful, however to say that 'thinness' is not promoted is wrong.

And to say that 'curves' are just fat, and suggest 'jealousy' is at the root of any criticism seems rather vicious and general too.
  • Options
    Slarti BartfastSlarti Bartfast Posts: 6,607
    Forum Member
    ishina wrote: »
    Attitudes like yours only contribute to an environment where young girls hate how they look. It is not necessary to display such vitriol against skinny girls to make your point. If it can be said to be a point at all, since I'm having to do some heavy reading between the lines to assume you have some half-cogent message in there somewhere, presumably something about healthy eating or exploitation in the fashion industry.

This.
  • Options
    sodavlacsodavlac Posts: 10,607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    QueenMaude wrote: »

Put the sports channels on. Don't think I've ever seen a perfume ad on them outside of the run up to Christmas. You might get a bit annoyed by Ray Winstone telling you to "bet neyah" every break but at least you'll avoid the skinny women.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I wonder why it is that, in general, it's the images which are aimed at women that feature unrealistic, unattainable, and often unhealthy bodies. Women's and fashion magazines are full of them, whereas images aimed at men tend to feature much curvier women, as far as I can tell.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,246
    Forum Member
    Darcy_ wrote: »

You need to look at a website called Tumblr, there are so many teenage girls on that website that say they are not eating because they want to lose weight and have a "thigh gap".:eek:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,904
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I actually find Peaches Geldof's face more offensive in the ads she is in!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 68,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    90%? Really?

If I've told you once I've told you a billion times, don't exaggerate.

In fashion advertising, more like 99.9%. Even some fashion editors have complained about the sizes of clothes supplied for them, saying that they will only fit very, very thin women, well below a healthy BMI. When Marks and Spencers ran a campaign where they wanted size 12-14 models they found that none of the top agencies even had girls on their books in that size: they had to approach plus size agencies. I do think there is something skew-wiff about a world where size 12 is defined as 'plus size'.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-1192751/Vogue-editor-Alexandra-Shulman-attacks-fashion-houses-force-magazines-use-size-zero-models.html

I find it quite shocking here that the editor of Vogue ( no stranger to waif like models) says that they often have to retouch photographs to "make the models look healthier".
  • Options
    Emma_WaughmanEmma_Waughman Posts: 12,978
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What makes me sick and horrified about these stick thin models is the fashion editors or whatever encourage them. On Anna Wintours wikipedia page i remember reading she would rather use stick thin twig models over fat ones any day...infact she was going to do a spread and it was about cancer or something and her minons or whatever got her a office woman and she was like `No` and chose the model herself,a flight attendant. Another one is that 88yr old man who never smiles.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 68,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think it has become a bit toxic. Models are FAR thinner than they were in, say, the 1980's when athletic looks were valued. Obviously no one expects fashion models to be all bulges and dimples, but there is something wrong with a world where photograph editors routinely have to airbrush out the protruding ribs and spines, because people like the tiny dimensions but not the sight of actual bones. And when did it become so unacceptable for fashion models to have breasts?

My daughter's best friend - 6 foot tall and gorgeous but with long-term eating disorders - was signed by a top modelling agency around her 16th birthday. She was extremely leggy and slim. Over the next few months she put on half a stone, not because she was getting fatter, but because she had a delayed puberty because of her low body weight and belatedly developed small breasts and hips. The modelling agency first ordered her to lose the weight, then removed her from their books. It is not being 'vicious' towards thin women to suggest that this was not a healthy process for a teenage girl.
  • Options
    bspacebspace Posts: 14,303
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    and i believe diets are for people with the IQ of 100 or less..

you feel that those of us with an IQ of other 100 shouldn't eat?

i hate to ask the obvious question
  • Options
    Forum Member
    My iPad is throwing a McDonald's ad at me on this thread.
  • Options
    academiaacademia Posts: 18,225
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Really? I get worried about the promotion of the 'very thin' as some 'ideal' because I have seen the effect of this on many teenaged girls, who cannot conform to this.

There is also a lot of pressure on models themselves to be thinner than they naturally should be.

Yes, all types of body shape can be beautiful, however to say that 'thinness' is not promoted is wrong.

And to say that 'curves' are just fat, and suggest 'jealousy' is at the root of any criticism seems rather vicious and general too.

Good post. I have heard childen as young as 9 and 10 anxiously discussing their weight and diets. It sickens me. We are producing a generation of youngsters with very unhealthy attitudes towards food and their health. And why? Because slimming food manufacturers make a mint out of diet foods etc and affect girls' idea of body image.
  • Options
    doom&gloomdoom&gloom Posts: 9,051
    Forum Member
    I doubt they're using per-pubescent models to be honest but certainly super-skinny models don't represent most women and the gap between what most people look like and models is growing, I was out today and saw so many overweight people wearing too few clothes, wobbly cellulite thighs aplenty, even their kids were overweight.