Options

Chelsea Supporters Thread (Part 4)

Comments

• Options
    alanrollinsalanrollins Posts: 3,045
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not every handball, but there was no grey area about that one. Deliberate dive and save, quite a good piece of goalkeeping actually.

No grey area about it being a penalty, no.

Impersonating the keeper by handling a shot going wide isn't a red card from any law I can identify.
  • Options
    codebluecodeblue Posts: 14,072
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think outfield players diving like a keeper to prevent a goal is a definite red, otherwise everyone would do it!

Arsenal have gone, they were strolling in this half, we could have had six or seven.

It will be interesting to see how the ref handles the sending off.
  • Options
    carefree_bluecarefree_blue Posts: 9,050
    Forum Member
    No grey area about it being a penalty, no.

Impersonating the keeper by handling a shot going wide isn't a red card from any law I can identify.

Oxlade-Chamberlain didn't realise it was going wide though, did he? The intention to stop it going in the net was still exactly the same as if it had actually been on target.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oxlade-Chamberlain didn't realise it was going wide though, did he? The intention to stop it going in the net was still exactly the same as if it had actually been on target.

If you can tell me that handling a shot that was going wide is denying a clear goalscoring opportunity I will accept your logic.

The law makes no reference to intent.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    codeblue wrote: »
    I think outfield players diving like a keeper to prevent a goal is a definite red, otherwise everyone would do it!.

Then you would need the law to be amended.

You are basing the decision on your opinion alone and sadly impartiality is something you are known to have little form for even amongst your own.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Unbelievable really though that the wrong player was sent off. How do all the officials collectively miss these things?

I hope there's no easing up from us in the second half. Really need to boost our GD further, considering Liverpool's and City's.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If you can tell me that handling a shot that was going wide is denying a clear goalscoring opportunity I will accept your logic.

It's on.y in the slow mo that we can see it was hitting the post.

Thee is no way the player knew or any way the ref knew. They had to be sent off.
  • Options
    DirtyBarrySpeedDirtyBarrySpeed Posts: 1,561
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was looking forward to this match but can't watch anymore.

Arsenal getting completely battered.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's on.y in the slow mo that we can see it was hitting the post.

Thee is no way the player knew or any way the ref knew. They had to be sent off.

Therefore no knowing if it was or wasn't a clear goalscoring opportunity, and as such it is not open to the referee to issue a red. You would be all over it the other way if Terry or Ivanovic were the offenders.

I don't even agree it was hitting the post. No idea how you could draw that bizarre conclusion.
  • Options
    RichmondBlueRichmondBlue Posts: 21,279
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Was it clearly going wide ? I wasn't sure until seeing the video replay.
    The law states..
    A player will, however, be sent off if he intentionally prevents an obvious
    goalscoring opportunity by using his hand. This punishment is not for the deliberate handball, but rather for unacceptable and unsporting behaviour that prevented a goal from being scored.
    I think, given that the clear intention was to prevent a goal, 99% of referees would have given a red.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Oscar - 5-0 :)
  • Options
    NinjyBearNinjyBear Posts: 8,317
    Forum Member
    Salah won't get an easier 25 minutes to impress.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Salah!!!!:D
  • Options
    NinjyBearNinjyBear Posts: 8,317
    Forum Member
    Brilliant :D

We won 6-0 with Hazard having one of his quietest matches for us. Good to see Oscar finding some form now.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Great stuff. You wouldn't think that we were the team that played midweek whilst they had a break.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What a game.
  • Options
    zebedeezebedee Posts: 792
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ETO'O SCHURRLE HAZARD OSCAR OSCAR SALAH

is now my favourite radio call sign ;-)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What a game.

Yes, another excellent performance. Despite the six goals, it was Azpil (again) and Matic who stood out for me. Oscar had another good game (I thought he looked much better in midweek as well) great to see him back to form. Schurrle looked dangerous, Luiz was solid and kept his discipline, and Salah looked promising.
    It's getting more difficult to select our "best team"..which is a good thing, shows how much depth we have.
  • Options
    Cantona07Cantona07 Posts: 56,910
    Forum Member
    Was it clearly going wide ? I wasn't sure until seeing the video replay.
    The law states..
    A player will, however, be sent off if he intentionally prevents an obvious
    goalscoring opportunity by using his hand. This punishment is not for the deliberate handball, but rather for unacceptable and unsporting behaviour that prevented a goal from being scored.
    I think, given that the clear intention was to prevent a goal, 99% of referees would have given a red.

By that logic you would have to send off any player who brings a player down that he thinks is going clean through even if in reality there is a covering defender because in the players own mind its a goalscoring opportunity.
  • Options
    BelligerenceBelligerence Posts: 40,613
    Forum Member
    Well done on your win guys.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cantona07 wrote: »
    By that logic you would have to send off any player who brings a player down that he thinks is going clean through even if in reality there is a covering defender because in the players own mind its a goalscoring opportunity.

Yes, but in this case Oxlade Chamberlain was the equivalent of the "last man" (using your analogy) and without using a video replay (which is a perfectly reasonable argument) it was almost impossible for the referee or his assistant to know if the shot was on target.

To be quite honest, I thought on this occasion the handball was so blatant and so obviously deliberate that it deserved a red card. If you're going to send someone off for a trip inside the box when he's the last defender, surely a blatant handball attempting to save a shot is equally deserving of the same punishment ? Send off neither, or send of both would be my position.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Yes, but in this case Oxlade Chamberlain was the equivalent of the "last man" (using your analogy) and without using a video replay (which is a perfectly reasonable argument) it was almost impossible for the referee or his assistant to know if the shot was on target.

To be quite honest, I thought on this occasion the handball was so blatant and so obviously deliberate that it deserved a red card. If you're going to send someone off for a trip inside the box when he's the last defender, surely a blatant handball attempting to save a shot is equally deserving of the same punishment ? Send off neither, or send of both would be my position.

Im not really arguing the ref getting it wrong, i think it was a tough call but if the replay showed it going wide then its not denying a goalscoring opportunity therefore it WAS the wrong decision. To be fair to the ref he took that entire debate away from the table by sending off the wrong guy anyway!!! :D

Top performance BTW, i think the Special One has another title coming up.
  • Options
    wacky joewacky joe Posts: 1,971
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pity Jose had to walk down tunnel before final whistle and not shake Wenger hand.
    No class
  • Options
    Forum Member
    wacky joe wrote: »
    Pity Jose had to walk down tunnel before final whistle and not shake Wenger hand.
    No class

Plenty of trophies though.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cantona07 wrote: »
    Im not really arguing the ref getting it wrong, i think it was a tough call but if the replay showed it going wide then its not denying a goalscoring opportunity therefore it WAS the wrong decision. To be fair to the ref he took that entire debate away from the table by sending off the wrong guy anyway!!! :D

Top performance BTW, i think the Special One has another title coming up.

Yes it was all completely bizarre. Particularly when you could lip-read Oxlade Chamberlaine admitting he was the culprit and pleading to be sent off. Why did the referee think a player (along with the keeper and other players) would do that ?
    Perhaps he thought it was an "I'm Spartacus" moment. :)
This discussion has been closed.