Options

Euro 2020 Will Be Held Across The Continent

Comments

• Options
    KarlHydeKarlHyde Posts: 1,830
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I definitely think that UEFA should omit the big nations for 2020 and play the tournament in smaller countries that have never held the tournament and/or will never get the chance to organise it on their own.

As far as I understand it, each group will have two venues. For logistical reasons, these venues should be in neighbouring countries, to minimise travel distances.

So we could end up with something like this:

Group A: Dublin and Cardiff
    Group B: Copenhagen and Glasgow
    Group C: Solna and Helsinki
    Group D: Athens and Sofia
    Group E: Bucharest and Belgrade
    Group F: Prague and Budapest
    (alternative: Zagreb and Skopje)
    (alternative: Jerusalem and Baku or Yerewan)
    Semis and Final: Istanbul
  • Options
    Steveaustin316Steveaustin316 Posts: 15,779
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I presume there would be no automatic qualifiers for Euro 2020 since there isn't an individual host nation.
  • Options
    wolvesdavidwolvesdavid Posts: 10,910
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    UEFA will consider various things, including stadium capacity. I can't see them giving it to a load of new countries, although they may choose to give it to a few.

Wembley is the biggest stadium in Europe, fully under cover.
  • Options
    tiger2000tiger2000 Posts: 8,541
    Forum Member
    Wembley and The Allianz Arena (Munich) are now the only two stadiums being considered for the Semis and The Final.

http://www.uefa.com/uefaeuro/finals/news/newsid=2096337.html#nineteen+bids+uefa+euro+2020
  • Options
    tiger2000tiger2000 Posts: 8,541
    Forum Member
    The remaining bids for the 12 Group Stage + 1 Knockout Match (Last 16 or QF) packages. Wembley or Munich will not bellowed to stage both Group and Finals Packages.

Azerbaijan (Baku)
    Belarus (Minsk)
    Belgium (Brussels)
    Bulgaria (Sofia)
    Denmark (Copenhagen)
    England (London)
    Former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia (Skopje)
    Germany (Munich)
    Hungary (Budapest)
    Israel (Jerusalem)
    Italy (Rome)
    Netherlands (Amsterdam)
    Republic of Ireland (Dublin)
    Romania (Bucharest)
    Russia (Saint Petersburg)
    Scotland (Glasgow)
    Spain (Bilbao)
    Sweden (Stockholm)
    Wales (Cardiff).

http://www.uefa.com/uefaeuro/finals/news/newsid=2096337.html#nineteen+bids+uefa+euro+2020
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Would have thought it almost certain that whichever one out of Wembley and The Allianz Arena (Munich) does not get the semis and final will at least be getting the group stage package, as I couldn't see either of them missing out completely.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Will they try (wherever possible) to make sure that the qualifiying countries who have a host city will get to play some or all of their group games at home?
  • Options
    henrywilliams58henrywilliams58 Posts: 4,963
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Would have thought it almost certain that whichever one out of Wembley and The Allianz Arena (Munich) does not get the semis and final will at least be getting the group stage package, as I couldn't see either of them missing out completely.

Or the losing team doesn't host at all but hosts the next tournament on its own.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Will they try (wherever possible) to make sure that the qualifiying countries who have a host city will get to play some or all of their group games at home?

Yes.

Each group will have two host cities, with the groups being decided by geography (i.e. England and France, Spain and Portugal, Greece and Turkey, etc.) (Clearly those are just examples.)

Lets say that Team A, Team B, Team C, and Team D are in a group, with the host countries in the group, Team A and Team B.

Team A will play C and D at home.
    Team B will play C and D at home.

Clearly Team A have to play Team B in one of the countries only, with Team C v Team D taking place in the other country.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes.

Each group will have two host cities, with the groups being decided by geography (i.e. England and France, Spain and Portugal, Greece and Turkey, etc.) (Clearly those are just examples.)

Lets say that Team A, Team B, Team C, and Team D are in a group, with the host countries in the group, Team A and Team B.

Team A will play C and D at home.
    Team B will play C and D at home.

Clearly Team A have to play Team B in one of the countries only, with Team C v Team D taking place in the other country.

I presume England will be paired with one of the other home nations in the group stages (if Wembley is not picked to host the semis and final) If they are, we could see Cardiff and Glasgow together.

Brussels & Amsterdam look likely to be paired together considering their proximity to each other.

Jerusalem is unlikely to be picked due to it's distance from the other host candidates.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Assuming Germany get the final:

England-Wales or England-Scotland and Wales-Ireland?
    Belgium-Holland
    Denmark-Sweden
    Spain-Italy? Italy-Macedonia?
    Belarus-Russia
    One or two combinations of Hungary/Romania/Bulgaria/Macedonia

Assuming England get the final:

Scotland-Wales-Ireland (2 of these 3 countries)
    Germany-Holland (or possibly Belgium-Holland, and Germany-Hungary?)
    Denmark-Sweden
    Spain-Belgium? Spain-Italy? Italy-Macedonia?
    Belarus-Russia
    One or two combinations of Hungary/Romania/Bulgaria/Macedonia.

I guess everyone mainly agrees with this?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wonder why Spain chose Bilbao as a host city instead of Madrid or Barcelona?

I guess everyone mainly agrees with this?

Those choices seem like the most sensible outcome. I wonder how the seedings will be done, considering they have to take geographical considerations into account as well?
  • Options
    jlp95bwfcjlp95bwfc Posts: 18,415
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    tiger2000 wrote: »

Can anyone explain this as I'm struggling to follow that graphic.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ^Never mind. Found this which explains everything quite well:

http://www.uefa.com/community/news/newsid=2079553.html
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bump. It will be announced tomorrow (Friday) who hosts the tournament, its either England or Germany for the final, with the rumour mill suggesting England are favourites as Germany will concentrate on a solo bid for Euro 2024.
  • Options
    Assa2Assa2 Posts: 10,345
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wembley should get the finals package, which includes both semis as well. There's no other stadium in Europe that comes close in terms of size, corp. facilities and the 'prestige' of the host city. It would be a nice way to round off the 'golden decade of sport' after the disappointment of the 2018 bid.
  • Options
    BosoxBosox Posts: 14,184
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bump. It will be announced tomorrow (Friday) who hosts the tournament, its either England or Germany for the final, with the rumour mill suggesting England are favourites as Germany will concentrate on a solo bid for Euro 2024.

I read that the agreement was that England will support Germany's bid in 2024 and then Germany will support England's bid for 2028.

Having the Final in 2020 is nice but I'd love to get a full tournament again and it looks like the Euros is the only option given our standing in FIFA so I really hope they go for 2028 as well.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It shouldn't be long before the announcement now. I hope Wembley gets it :D.

Watch live now:

http://www.uefa.com/uefaeuro-2020/about-euro/index.html
  • Options
    zebedeezebedee Posts: 792
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thought Greg Dyke would be keeping a low profile after trousering 16 Grands worth of ticker
    http://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/sep/18/greg-dyke-world-cup-watch-gift-fifa
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    CONFIRMED:

Wembley will host the Semi Finals and Final :D
  • Options
    BosoxBosox Posts: 14,184
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's Wembley.

It will be good to see England lift another trophy on home soil :D
  • Options
    richie4evarichie4eva Posts: 217,925
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wembley as expected gets the semi final and final
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Munich gets 3 Group games and a Quarter Final
  • Options
    BhaveshgorBhaveshgor Posts: 9,312
    Forum Member
    LOL how can Baku host 3 group games and quarter final.