Are you afraid of death?

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,983
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not scared of death, but maybe about the means of my death. I hope it's not horrible.
  • MidnightFalconMidnightFalcon Posts: 15,016
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What's to fear? Everything dies - even the stars.
  • AzagothAzagoth Posts: 10,169
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Don't fear the reaper :cool:

Needs more Cowbell!
  • Sun Tzu.Sun Tzu. Posts: 19,064
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Im really looking forward to it. Having communicated spirit for many years now (don't work as a medium), i think it will be a wonderful thing to move to the spirit realm and out of the physical body. I am looking forward to meeting Cpl Andrew who i have had discussions with about his time during world war two.
  • Mrs de WinterMrs de Winter Posts: 2,867
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What's to fear? Everything dies - even the stars.

Yes, but each of us is only alive once (in all probability anyway!) and only gets to die once. We'll never know what it's like until it's happened. I think fear of something so unknown and unknowable is completely natural.

I wish I could think like you :)
  • LadyCakeLadyCake Posts: 3,126
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What's to fear?

Being found with a sheep and a lady's thong:eek:?
  • The Exiled DubThe Exiled Dub Posts: 8,358
    Forum Member
    Terrified, actually.

I'm creeped out at the thought that one day I'll exist no more, but there will probably be people I love who will still be alive and will have to deal with my death. People who'll have to cremate or bury my remains, sort through my possessions and affairs, talk about me. That their lives will continue and I'll no longer have any part of it, witness or know any of it

It's just too weird to think about.

The process of dying itself scares me too. I wonder how much the brain realises as you're dying, whether you feel panic or pain as all your brain is shutting down and your cells are dying.

This is exactly how I feel too.
  • nessyfencernessyfencer Posts: 9,195
    Forum Member
    LadyCake wrote: »
    Being found with a sheep and a lady's thong:eek:?
    Why would a sheep have a lady's thong?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,488
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was quite close to death once. I wasn't in pain and in a tiny moment of lucidity I thought if I go now ( in my 50's) that will be it. No prolonged suffering in old age, no dreadful indignity or worries about money etc. But I felt awful guilt when I recovered as I know it would have hurt loved ones. So, no I'm not afraid at all, I just hope it's quick and as painless as possible.
  • You_moYou_mo Posts: 11,334
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Quite when I think too much about it. All my experiences mean nothing in the long run? But it's tough titties as there's no escaping it. It just is. So savour each experience! :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 506
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    "I do not fear death, in view of the fact that I had been dead for billions and billions of years before I was born, and had not suffered the slightest inconvenience from it." - Mark Twain
  • stormin normstormin norm Posts: 5,312
    Forum Member
    No I'm not scared of death per se, however I am petrified of dying before my children are adults as I have no idea what would happen to them or how they would manage without me :cry:
  • BelligerenceBelligerence Posts: 40,613
    Forum Member
    You_mo wrote: »
    Quite when I think too much about it. All my experiences mean nothing in the long run? But it's tough titties as there's no escaping it. It just is. So savour each experience! :D

Same with me. Just taking one day at a time.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,547
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not scared of death. I hope I don't die alone though. I'm more scared of the impact my death will potentially have on the lives of my loved ones.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,897
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Death no...pigeons now are another matter. :eek::eek::eek::eek:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,126
    Forum Member
    Birdcage wrote: »
    I'm really scared of having a painful and prolonged death, hope it's sudden and quick.

No...not afraid of death....but as you suggest there`s something to be said for being hit by the proverbial bus......if it looks like it`s going to be a long and painful ordeal I may be slipping the Doc a few quid to encourage him/her to up the morphine dose.
  • danletodanleto Posts: 2,777
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You didn't choose to be along for this ride, you can't choose to avoid death so enjoy it while it lasts because one day we wont wake up.
  • NaughtyNanNaughtyNan Posts: 9,445
    Forum Member
    No I'm not scared of death per se, however I am petrified of dying before my children are adults as I have no idea what would happen to them or how they would manage without me :cry:

Same here! I also add my elderly mother to this reason:( Everyone has loved ones.. well most people but it doesn't stop death, it could happne anytime to any of us so I agree with got to take each day as it comes, be happy as best as we can and try not to worry about the inevitable. (we have to try and leave healthily as it helps to live longer)

I have life insurance so at least my child is financially and marginally supported.:)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 653
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Before I had my baby, I wouldn't think much about my own death, but now the thought of it worries me. I'm not scared of death itself and whether it'll be painful, I just worry about it being while I'm young, before I've had time to enjoy my son and teach him things, take him places, watch him grow up. It makes me sad to think of leaving my partner and him having to bring up our son alone, and him having to explain to our son where I've gone, or if I pass away before he understands (he's just a few months old), my partner will have to show him photos and explain who I was and what I was like. God, it's really depressing thinking about it!

I had a complicated birth. I had become ill and so had the baby and was given an emergency cesarean. When I was told I was ill and to be given a cesarean within a couple of hours, I kept thinking, "What if something happens to me? What if I have my baby and my partner and son are left without me?" I kept thinking about the excitment we'd had throughout the pregnancy and now it had all got scary. Luckily, we're all fine now, but at that moment I realised how scared I was of my passing.

Need to go and watch a bit of comedy now I think after that downer! :p
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 525
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    petit-pois wrote: »
    Before I had my baby, I wouldn't think much about my own death, but now the thought of it worries me. I'm not scared of death itself and whether it'll be painful, I just worry about it being while I'm young, before I've had time to enjoy my son and teach him things, take him places, watch him grow up. It makes me sad to think of leaving my partner and him having to bring up our son alone, and him having to explain to our son where I've gone, or if I pass away before he understands (he's just a few months old), my partner will have to show him photos and explain who I was and what I was like. God, it's really depressing thinking about it!

I had a complicated birth. I had become ill and so had the baby and was given an emergency cesarean. When I was told I was ill and to be given a cesarean within a couple of hours, I kept thinking, "What if something happens to me? What if I have my baby and my partner and son are left without me?" I kept thinking about the excitment we'd had throughout the pregnancy and now it had all got scary. Luckily, we're all fine now, but at that moment I realised how scared I was of my passing.

Need to go and watch a bit of comedy now I think after that downer! :p

It would seem to be common your thoughts, before I had my son I didn't care if I died, now I want to live to nurture him and see how he turns out as a man.

I am still not afraid of dying though and when it happens it will happen and I will be no more.

I told my sons father when I was pregnant and if they had to choose me or the baby then he was to sacrifice me, I would still sacrifice myself to let my son live.
  • PinSarlaPinSarla Posts: 4,072
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I just don't want to die in pain, or suddenly either.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,864
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not scared of death, but sort of fear a living death of being old, fragile, and mentally and physically useless for a long period.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 652
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    cartree wrote: »
    No, but the thing that really irks me is that I won't be able to see how everyone I know reacts. I'd like to know.

Yes I would like to know aswell especially my husbands.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,066
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    "And when I'm lying in my bed, I think about life and I think about death, and neither one particularly appeals to me."
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 25,366
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not afraid of death but I am afraid of not living....

If that makes sense...