Options

Boys does it get any easier? Help please.

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 525
Forum Member
✭✭
My son is 27 months and I am finding it hard to tame him now. The problem is at night times he doesn't want to bed down and is constantly climbing out of his cot ( we tried taken the sides down, but he was just getting out a lot easier).

Now the real issue, here is that he has stopped sleeping through the night and is waking up and jumping into our bed (I can't tell you the last time I had a decent sleep) which is a problem in its self because he is vey energetic and doesn't seem to want to go back to sleep. If I take him out he comes back and the cycle is repeated until I final lose it and tell if he gets out again their will be consequences.

By that time I am awake and I find it extremely hard to go back to sleep and in-fact, I rarely go back to sleep until about 11pm that night.

He used to have a sleep patten and was in bed at 8:30pm and went straight to sleep. I still get him in his bed for that time but now he refuses to abide by our rule and wants to do his own thing.

How can I get him back into a sleep routine?

Also what is the best way to wean him off his dummy?

Comments

• Options
    Fred SplungeFred Splunge Posts: 654
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Consistency and determination. Don't give him attention when he gets up, just quietly and calmly (yes, I know that gets trickier the longer the evening goes on) put him back, however many times it takes.

If he thinks that there is the slightest possibility that you will give in and let him in your bed, then he's got something to make a fuss for. Stick with it, do not let him in your bed however tired you are, and he will take the hint.

(Btw 11pm really isn't that late, I did struggle to maintain sympathy when I saw that you struggled to get back to sleep by then. Many parents who have similar problems would consider an 11pm sleep a good night.)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,929
    Forum Member
    In my experience it's all about trial and error with little ones.

I don't think you need to 'tame' him, you need to 'train' him and get into a routine that suits you all. What about bedtimes? Is it a good time for him, as in bath, bed and stories? If you're exhausted he may be picking up on it.

As far as his dummy is concerned I think you have to brave it, tell him it's babyish and make him feel he's a big boy to give it up. With mine it didn't take long both times.

I do think you need to put him firmly in his cot/bed so that he knows that's where he stays until morning. It's not easy when you're knackered but it's essential.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,929
    Forum Member
    Consistency and determination. Don't give him attention when he gets up, just quietly and calmly (yes, I know that gets trickier the longer the evening goes on) put him back, however many times it takes.

If he thinks that there is the slightest possibility that you will give in and let him in your bed, then he's got something to make a fuss for. Stick with it, do not let him in your bed however tired you are, and he will take the hint.

(Btw 11pm really isn't that late, I did struggle to maintain sympathy when I saw that you struggled to get back to sleep by then. Many parents who have similar problems would consider an 11pm sleep a good night.)

I pondered about that but thought maybe she meant eleven the next night?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mutleykaz wrote: »
    I pondered about that but thought maybe she meant eleven the next night?

If that's the case, then she needs some serious sleep training too, lol.
  • Options
    viertevierte Posts: 4,286
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I found cutting out naps during the day helped get mine to go the whole night, also when I got him a big boys bed he loved it so didn't want to get out. Like others have said be consistent
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If that's the case, then she needs some serious sleep training too, lol.

Haha very funny...to clarify he wakes up at anything between 12am - 5:30am and once I woken up, and don't go back to sleep straight away...I can seem to fall back to sleep until 11pm that night.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

The thing is I am firm, I'm the tough parent but he doesn't seem to listen. It's hard, because I don't want to shout or anything like that but trying to stay calm and patient is hard after hours of the same thing...he has just come out his cot now...I will try your method.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Love_able wrote: »
    The thing is I am firm, I'm the tough parent but he doesn't seem to listen. It's hard, because I don't want to shout or anything like that but trying to stay calm and patient is hard after hours of the same thing...he has just come out his cot now...I will try your method.

Good luck. They're determined little buggers when they put their mind to it.

I assume you've made sure there's nothing in his room/bed environment that is detrimental to a good night's sleep for him.
  • Options
    bart4858bart4858 Posts: 11,436
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Also what is the best way to wean him off his dummy?

A dummy is fine at 27 months. Start worrying when he starts primary school and still wants it.

Just hiding it from him might do the trick - eventually.
  • Options
    1fab1fab Posts: 20,052
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How about trying one of these sleep trainer clocks:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/GroCompany-HJ008-Gro-Clock-Sleep-Trainer/dp/B002APJCNE/ref=sr_1_1?s=baby&ie=UTF8&qid=1311712764&sr=1-1

It gets good reviews, but maybe your son is still a little too young to understand it...

You could try a star chart, giving him a star each time he stays in bed until morning, then maybe reward him with a treat when he has got a certain number of stars.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    bart4858 wrote: »
    A dummy is fine at 27 months. Start worrying when he starts primary school and still wants it.

Just hiding it from him might do the trick - eventually.

He seems to be accustomed to the dummy and if he hasn't got one especially at night he cries the house down...which is just stressful for me.

I have decided that I am only going to allow him to have one at night-time. He was going to be a thumb sucker and I gave him the dummy as soon as he confirmed he was a thumb sucker (he was sucking his thumb in his scan photo...no believed me though).

The general consensus here is for me to not entertain him, when he gets out of bed, be patient and perceiver.

Thanks everyone.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    1fab wrote: »
    How about trying one of these sleep trainer clocks:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/GroCompany-HJ008-Gro-Clock-Sleep-Trainer/dp/B002APJCNE/ref=sr_1_1?s=baby&ie=UTF8&qid=1311712764&sr=1-1

It gets good reviews, but maybe your son is still a little too young to understand it...

You could try a star chart, giving him a star each time he stays in bed until morning, then maybe reward him with a treat when he has got a certain number of stars.

That clock looks good. He understands a fair bit his speech is good and he can put sentences together and has a understanding of things.

I do positive praise, when he is good...but I think he is too young to understand the star chart. I have informed him, that toys & tv will be removed is he is naughty...I will just have to follow through.
  • Options
    ikkleosuikkleosu Posts: 11,494
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

It is the method used on EVERY SINGLE child help/training Tv show going, so I'd say it works.

However, it will ONLY work if you are determined, strong willed and STICK AT IT.

The first time he gets up you say "It's time for bed darling" and take him back to bed.

Next time you said "bed time" and take him back to bed.

After that, DO NOT TALK, don't make eye contact just take him by the hand or pick him up, put him in his cot and walk away.

I have seen couples have to do with over 30 times in one night, so be prepared it will be a long slog. but VERY QUICKLY (ie after a handful of nights) he'll get it and start staying in bed and going to bed.

Couple it with a reward chart for staying in bed (reward the positive, but don't have punitive measures when it doesn't happen. he simply doesn't get a smiley face/star whatever) and you should be getting a good night sleep within a month.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ikkleosu wrote: »
    It is the method used on EVERY SINGLE child help/training Tv show going, so I'd say it works.

However, it will ONLY work if you are determined, strong willed and STICK AT IT.

The first time he gets up you say "It's time for bed darling" and take him back to bed.

Next time you said "bed time" and take him back to bed.

After that, DO NOT TALK, don't make eye contact just take him by the hand or pick him up, put him in his cot and walk away.

I have seen couples have to do with over 30 times in one night, so be prepared it will be a long slog. but VERY QUICKLY (ie after a handful of nights) he'll get it and start staying in bed and going to bed.

Couple it with a reward chart for staying in bed (reward the positive, but don't have punitive measures when it doesn't happen. he simply doesn't get a smiley face/star whatever) and you should be getting a good night sleep within a month.

Well he is sleeping now, after I just placed him in his bed and did not say a word...If I entertained him he would have continued, even though he was tired.

I just don't know why he went from easily going to sleep to being a pain.
  • Options
    d0lphind0lphin Posts: 25,355
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can't advise about the sleeping as my younger son was dreadful for climbing in bed with us and did it until he was 7 (hopefully it won't be so bad for you!!!)

But I just wanted to contribute about the issue with the dummy, mine both had their dummy until the day before they started school and have turned out perfectly normal now aged 21 and 18 so I wouldn't stress about the dummy!
  • Options
    ikkleosuikkleosu Posts: 11,494
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well he is sleeping now, after I just placed him in his bed and did not say a word...If I entertained him he would have continued, even though he was tired.

I just don't know why he went from easily going to sleep to being a pain.

Because one day, he did it for a genuine reason and he realised "hey, hang on, I cna get LOTS of Mum's attention doing this and I don't have to sleep! WHEEEEE!" :D Kids see any chink in the armour and will play you like a fiddle until they get what they want.

Good job they are so cute, or you'd hate them. ;)
  • Options
    c4rvc4rv Posts: 29,627
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Do you have a partner how sleep with you. Make sure they are firm as well, you have to show a united front.

Also as somebody else mentioned, is it time to cut back on nap times and maybe bring bed time forward, he may just be over tired.

Both of my kids were in bed by 7:00 at 2 years old. Routine would be 6pm brush teeth + bath (around 30 minutes). Then 30 quite time, read them a book or something along those line (this would be done in their bed). Then lights out and walk out.

Unless there is a medical reason, if they get up, then a firm good night and put them bad. Next time no eye contact, nothing verbal and just put them straight back. It will get better within a week and mostly likely a few days.

Also if you find they are wetting their nappy then stop liquids for 1 hour before bed time.
  • Options
    m4tt24m4tt24 Posts: 843
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What is his routine like upto going to bed? is it consistant every night? We've always used pretty much the same routine the poster above (c4rv) has already written and we've never really had any problems with any of ours with going to sleep, the only time we had problems was when we introduced our second son into sleeping in the same room and the eldest wanting to play with him but once they were settled together it wasn't a problem.
  • Options
    1fab1fab Posts: 20,052
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just a thought: it's really warm at night at the moment (here in Somerset, anyway), making it difficult for anyone to sleep. Have a window open if poss (sorry if I'm stating the obvious!) Good luck. :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 14,284
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ikkleosu wrote: »
    Because one day, he did it for a genuine reason and he realised "hey, hang on, I cna get LOTS of Mum's attention doing this and I don't have to sleep! WHEEEEE!" :D Kids see any chink in the armour and will play you like a fiddle until they get what they want.

Good job they are so cute, or you'd hate them. ;)

Nothing to add other than I love this post.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 237
    Forum Member
    In addition to above posts, our 2 year old has been reluctant to be put down to bed at night, so we dug out the stair-guard from the loft and put it across his doorway. Now even if he gets out of bed he can't come and disturb us and the only thing for him to do is go back to bed.

Another vote for firm and persistent though.
  • Options
    curlywurlycurlywurly Posts: 950
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    as summer is here maybe its too light outside for him, get thicker curtains for his bedroom.

does he go to nursery, do they let him have naps, if so asked them to make it shorter or no nap at all.

try and make him knackered during the day, make bedtime a pleasant time with a warm bath, jim jams on and a nice story.

its all trial and error im afraid, but whatever you do you must be consistant, and dont waver from your bedtime rules just for a bit of peace and quiet.

allow dummies for bedtime only, eventually he will learn to associate bedtime with having the comfort of his dummy. good luck
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,119
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    With regards to the dummys, I did the same with both my children and it worked really well. Their daytime dummy I exhanged for a gift (what ever they are into at the time, my daughter had a miss hooley doll (balamory), my son a thomas train), I then explained that they were to give me their dummy for the toy and everytime the asked for the dummy I said no because they had their toy instead.

For the night time one I timed it for around christmas (could be birthday or easter) and said father christmas needed their dummys to give as presents to children whose mummy and daddy couldnt afford new ones, if they sent them to him then on christmas day he would leave a nice present to say thank you.

Your son will get better with sleep, I think most parents have been in a similar situation but as others have said its about perseverance.
  • Options
    TWSTWS Posts: 9,307
    Forum Member
    persistence is the key like others have said once you give in once its all downhill, battle of wills - my boy is three and a half he has gone past that phase now and is now in the phase where he gets out of bed and says, he's hungry, he's thirsty, he needs a cuddle, he's hurt himself and needs a kiss anything and everything to prolong staying out of bed:D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,570
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i've noticed that boys (well mine anyway) are massively different to girls when it comes to the first couple of years, my 2 girls would quite happily sit cuddling and were in general very laid back as toddlers, but my little boy (who turns 2 tomorrow) is a monster, he's cute and well behaved but very very energetic, he gets in bed and stays there at the minute but he's getting quite wilful and prickly when you try and put him in bed...hopefully he will settle down!