Knots Landing

Comments

• StykerStyker Posts: 49,777
    Forum Member
    Missy Moo wrote: »
    Sorry, maybe I should clarify - I wasn't ROFL, but I knew the character of Sid was going to die so maybe I wasn't investing too much emotional commitment to the storyline. I know the producers of Knots Landing liked in-jokes, and it's alleged that Don Murray was arguing over salary, so my overactive imagination wondered if him lying there with his arms outstretched was a dig at "St. Sid".

And let's not forget, this is a 30 year old soap opera, not a documentary ;)

Yes I know, though I'm not sure what the age of the programme has got to do with anything but I anticipated that kind of comment but art immitates life and vice versa. Each to their own and it takes all kinds too I suppose, I just didn't see that scene or episode funny at all. I do like nice people/characters and am the opposite with wrongun's and as Sid was such a nice/good man I think that is what made it all saddening.

I also thought it was great acting, doing a dead scene must be incredibly hard and he really looked like he was properly gone and the only other time I have seen such an authentic looking death scene was in Rocky 3 when Rocky's trainer, Mickey died, superb acting that was too.

Just for the record the death/kill scenes I did find funny where when Harrison Ford fell over and hit his head after trying to kill Michelle Pfiefer in What Lies Beneath and the way the Singing Telegram Girl got shot and killed in the hilarious comedy film Clue.
    Forum Member
    Valene1 wrote: »
    Mack MacKenzie played by Kevin Dobson was a good guy like Sid but belonged more to the faster moving Knots Landing post Season 2. He was great and stayed right till the end of Knots Landing. Mack comes in the first episode of Season 4 so not long now.

I'l see how he approaches Karen and how she is back. If he is one of those pushy types who just wants her at any cost, I doubt I will like him but if he plays its like a gent then I might end up liking him.

I think Karen has become the main character of the programme though I wasn't too impressed with her when she came very close to having an affair with the kind of guy I don't like, all pushy and wanting to bed her at any cost even though she was married with kids. Selfish prat I thought that guy was.
  • MoontakerMoontaker Posts: 3,066
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Styker wrote: »
    Yes I know, though I'm not sure what the age of the programme has got to do with anything but I anticipated that kind of comment but art immitates life and vice versa. Each to their own and it takes all kinds too I suppose, I just didn't see that scene or episode funny at all. I do like nice people/characters and am the opposite with wrongun's and as Sid was such a nice/good man I think that is what made it all saddening.

I also thought it was great acting, doing a dead scene must be incredibly hard and he really looked like he was properly gone and the only other time I have seen such an authentic looking death scene was in Rocky 3 when Rocky's trainer, Mickey died, superb acting that was too.

Just for the record the death/kill scenes I did find funny where when Harrison Ford fell over and hit his head after trying to kill Michelle Pfiefer in What Lies Beneath and the way the Singing Telegram Girl got shot and killed in the hilarious comedy film Clue.

I'm a fan of Knots, and I'm delighted CBS Drama are airing it again. The death episode was exceptionally well done for a soap but I know what Miss Moo was talking about, Sid's angelic pose was contrived and therefore difficult to take seriously.
    Forum Member
    Moontaker wrote: »
    I'm a fan of Knots, and I'm delighted CBS Drama are airing it again. The death episode was exceptionally well done for a soap but I know what Miss Moo was talking about, Sid's angelic pose was contrived and therefore difficult to take seriously.

I saw it that having that dangerous operation with a collapsed lung really did take the whole stuffing out of him as well as his life. It might have been a subtle joke too but he was up against it generally and I think that scene showed just how much.

I noticed your earlier post, I'm also glad you had a similar take to me on the episode. :)
  • lizbetlizbet Posts: 854
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mack MacKenzie played by Kevin Dobson was a good guy like Sid but belonged more to the faster moving Knots Landing post Season 2. He was great and stayed right till the end of Knots Landing. Mack comes in the first episode of Season 4 so not long now.

Agree Mack was great, though I think he had more of an edge to him than Sid and I think, maybe, challenged Karen more than Sid who seemed more old fashioned to me than Mack.
  • Jimmy ConnorsJimmy Connors Posts: 117,775
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I thought the Val cancer scare episode was quite moving, and very well acted. Loved the hospital scene where all the women were around Val's bed. Good to see Bobby too.
    Forum Member
    I think Gary is a right idiot! Calling for that uber liar and vidictive so and so Abby to be rehired?! If necessary they should have owned up that they took on a crook in Abby as well as throwing her to the wolves and paid whatever fine than take her on again!

That Gary hasn't got a clue about business. At least he spared his family in wrecking their business even if JR did revel in it and he should have spared poor Knotts Landing Motors to! Couldn't he have offered to have trained as a mechanic instead? At least that way he wouldn't have caused too much damage or maybe he would have messed that up as well!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,174
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Styker wrote: »
    I think Gary is a right idiot! Calling for that uber liar and vidictive so and so Abby to be rehired?! If necessary they should have owned up that they took on a crook in Abby as well as throwing her to the wolves and paid whatever fine than take her on again!

That Gary hasn't got a clue about business. At least he spared his family in wrecking their business even if JR did revel in it and he should have spared poor Knotts Landing Motors to! Couldn't he have offered to have trained as a mechanic instead? At least that way he wouldn't have caused too much damage or maybe he would have messed that up as well!

Rewatching cant believe what a tool Gary is I know what you mean the way he ends up treating Val yet in the new dallas up she pops to come and get him back again...:D

Abby really would make a good addition to the new Dallas now and the most freaky thing she has BARELY changed..and no real signs of major plastic surgery.
    Forum Member
    Topol wrote: »
    Rewatching cant believe what a tool Gary is I know what you mean the way he ends up treating Val yet in the new dallas up she pops to come and get him back again...:D

Abby really would make a good addition to the new Dallas now and the most freaky thing she has BARELY changed..and no real signs of major plastic surgery.

I haven't seen much of the new Dallas series so will just have to "imagine" what he's doing now along with posts about it.

The only thing he did right was to run away and be a drifter because he isn't much use to anyone unfortunately. Miss Elile should have given him a kick up the backside too instead of always pining for him in the way she used to do so much.
  • steveh31steveh31 Posts: 13,516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mother's always think there son's are angels and the best thing in the world when they live away and visit once a year with a dodgy knitted cardigan Miss Ellie was no different with Gary when the other kids live with you you see all there faults everyday.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,174
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    hehe the "man" in tonights episode with Karen is the original Gary!!! who was in Dallas.
  • Fergie86Fergie86 Posts: 7,956
    Forum Member
    Topol wrote: »
    hehe the "man" in tonights episode with Karen is the original Gary!!! who was in Dallas.

That's who he is, it was bothering me from his first scene, knew i had seen him somewhere before. I wonder if Gary 1 and Gary 2 will have a scene together before the episode ends.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The baby crying was probably scared by Kenny's (sorry I mean "Kinnie's" Werewolf hairy arms they frightened me.

Diana is boring do not like episodes focused on her I see she has gone for the Pam Ewing perm.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Fergie86 wrote: »
    That's who he is, it was bothering me from his first scene, knew i had seen him somewhere before. I wonder if Gary 1 and Gary 2 will have a scene together before the episode ends.

I wonder if the two actors played each other off about both being Gary?

Lilimae's singing :confused::o
  • Valene1Valene1 Posts: 1,035
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've enjoyed catching up with this week's shows. It's getting closer to the Knots Landing I remember.

Lilimae's singing was awful, I'd forgotten about that. Abby's started getting her claws into Gary.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've enjoyed catching up with this week's shows. It's getting closer to the Knots Landing I remember.

Lilimae's singing was awful, I'd forgotten about that. Abby's started getting her claws into Gary.

Me too. Yes Lilimae's singing's dreadful but I think it's supposed to be. The character Lilimae just doesn't fit with the rest of the cast, she's pointless and her sudden appearance often ruins a good storyline.

I'm still enjoying Karen's journey, I especially like the bond growing between her and Diana.:)

I remember how weak Gary was, he comes across as spoilt and unable to function in the real world after his wealthy upbringing.
  • firefly_irlfirefly_irl Posts: 4,015
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wish this show could make some kinda comeback, prefer it to Dallas or Dynasty.

Donna Mills = Badass
  • The AmbassadorThe Ambassador Posts: 5,631
    Forum Member
    I'll never get that hour back.:mad:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The last two episodes have been dismal. The ghost story was the worst, completely pointless and silly. Hopefully they're get back to some juicy drama now.
  • Fergie86Fergie86 Posts: 7,956
    Forum Member
    I'll never get that hour back.:mad:

Was a very, very strange episode that's for sure, i didn't see the point of it, i think they should of focused on the men as well, maybe have the haunted house thing as a background story line.
  • Grabid RanniesGrabid Rannies Posts: 4,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Without wishing to spoil too much for myself by learning more in advance, it does seem the self-contained episodes have been gradually petering out and maybe, this was the final 'true' one? The previous truly self-contained one was the girls in the house siege in Season 2, and whilst there have been a few heavily one-story focused episodes since then, they have had other developmental stuff going on in them relating to the other characters.

I guess that at this point, with one main cast member gone and another not-yet main cast member still being used as a (presumably originally) temporary 'guest star' substitute, there was only so much they could do in terms of longer-term story arcs from week to week without undermining those through sudden lurches into incredulous territory, meaning they still had to resort to a lot of 'filler' material inbetween that could be wrapped up in an episode. It does show at this point that the cast needs to be expanded, as it's soon to become.
  • Jimmy ConnorsJimmy Connors Posts: 117,775
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Lilimae is a strange addition to the cast. She seems to have wandered in off the set of Little House On The Prairie straight on to the Knots Landing set. She's so out of place - but at least she makes Gary laugh (he is constantly laughing whenever she does anything) I do not dislike her though. She makes me smile.

I have nearly caught up now. The picture and sound quality is vastly improved thank gawd.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    PLEASE no more singing on this show "It's a mighty fine road" over and over.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lilimae is a strange addition to the cast. She seems to have wandered in off the set of Little House On The Prairie straight on to the Knots Landing set. She's so out of place - but at least she makes Gary laugh (he is constantly laughing whenever she does anything) I do not dislike her though. She makes me smile.

I have nearly caught up now. The picture and sound quality is vastly improved thank gawd.

I don't dislike her either Jimmy but she's so out of step with the rest of the cast. Coincidently, did anyone notice the Doc from Little House on the Prairie was moonlighting as the creepy handyman in the haunted house? :eek:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh Karen, Karen, Karen you might as well of wore a Burkha, He certainly won't be able to get inside that dress if he gets frisky.