Options

The Golden Girls (1985 - 1992)

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 930
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What was the episode called when Sophia was about to marry a guy.
    Think he was in Cocoon and there was a scene which I remember fondly of them breaking up but parting with a dance on the beach, very moving scene
  • Options
    MinnimoMinnimo Posts: 5,741
    Forum Member
    Mandy73 wrote: »
    Poignant and very funny. Which is the beauty of the show and has helped it stand the test of time.

I couldn't imagine them together either, until I googled it!:)

On the subject of googling, Nancy Walker (Aunt Angela) was only 3 days older than Bea Arthur and Estelle Getty was 14 months younger than them both. Props to make-up in that respect.

And Rue died 3 years ago today:( A great actress. They all were sublime in their acting.

Wow. Im watching now. So sad to think it was 3 years ago today :( shes so amazing in that role....
  • Options
    MinnimoMinnimo Posts: 5,741
    Forum Member
    They all were to be fair
  • Options
    Mandy73Mandy73 Posts: 473
    Forum Member
    What was the episode called when Sophia was about to marry a guy.
    Think he was in Cocoon and there was a scene which I remember fondly of them breaking up but parting with a dance on the beach, very moving scene

You've got a good memory!

Jack Gilford was in Cocoon (love Google!) and played Sophia's fiancé Max Weinstock who she was supposed to marry in the episode (I think) Sophia's Wedding Part 1, the infamous one which had Quentin Tarantino as an Elvis impersonator!

But didn't they have more than one wedding and break up like BlazeofGlory said? Google is letting me down in that respect...
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,900
    Forum Member
    Hardcore fans may have seen this, but heres a rare clip of Golden Girl outtakes:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hDSldnm7SWg

:D
  • Options
    TVGirl319TVGirl319 Posts: 2,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Did you all know that there was going to be a Golden Girls reunion series, with the original cast members who all agreed to do it, but then Estelle Getty died, so it was shelved!!??
  • Options
    gslam2gslam2 Posts: 1,503
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mandy73 wrote: »
    You've got a good memory!

Jack Gilford was in Cocoon (love Google!) and played Sophia's fiancé Max Weinstock who she was supposed to marry in the episode (I think) Sophia's Wedding Part 1, the infamous one which had Quentin Tarantino as an Elvis impersonator!

But didn't they have more than one wedding and break up like BlazeofGlory said? Google is letting me down in that respect...

They did get married at that wedding but then broke up after deciding they weren't really in love with each other.
  • Options
    MariesamMariesam Posts: 3,797
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TVGirl319 wrote: »
    Did you all know that there was going to be a Golden Girls reunion series, with the original cast members who all agreed to do it, but then Estelle Getty died, so it was shelved!!??

I wonder if it was the Golden Palace (apparently it was a spin off from the Golden Girls) it was a question on Eggheads a few weeks ago......it was actually filmed and was regarded as the unofficial 8th season of the Golden Girls (apparently there is even a book about it)....
  • Options
    TVGirl319TVGirl319 Posts: 2,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mariesam wrote: »
    I wonder if it was the Golden Palace (apparently it was a spin off from the Golden Girls) it was a question on Eggheads a few weeks ago......it was actually filmed and was regarded as the unofficial 8th season of the Golden Girls (apparently there is even a book about it)....

But Estelle Getty was in the Golden Palace, but not Bea Arthur, whose character was written as moved away and Estelle Getty was the first to pass away, then Bea Arthur and then Rue MacClanahan
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TVGirl319 wrote: »
    But Estelle Getty was in the Golden Palace, but not Bea Arthur, whose character was written as moved away and Estelle Getty was the first to pass away, then Bea Arthur and then Rue MacClanahan
    Golden Palace was a full length series that was shown in the US and UK. It sadly wasnt successful. I think the main reason was the break up of the gang of 4 and Bea Arthur was missed. A young Don Cheadle sort of took the Dorothy role as the sensible one with the "caustic" tounge but it didnt gel as well.

In 2003 there was a reunion of sorts on the US Lifetime channel http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iJg3Ai4uqpM hosted by Betty White, I dont think Estelle Getty made an apperance due to health problems.
  • Options
    Torch81Torch81 Posts: 15,630
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    SallyArmy wrote: »
    Hardcore fans may have seen this, but heres a rare clip of Golden Girl outtakes:

Those out takes are great, never seen them before. GG's is an absolute classic show, just love it. And despite having DVD box sets of all 7 series I can't resist also watching it everyday on TLC. :D
  • Options
    TVFreakoTVFreako Posts: 214
    Forum Member
    Watched last night's second of two episodes on TLC and something made my mind almost say "No way!" when I saw a young kid called Mario who was being tutored by Dorothy who ends up being deported. It was a delay of a second or two before I realised it was a very young Mario Lopez who starred as AC Slater in Saved By The Bell.

mario-lopez-golden-girls-tv-young-1985-1992-photo-GC.jpg

mario.jpg
  • Options
    MulettMulett Posts: 9,057
    Forum Member
    We've got all seven seasons on DVD. We watch them fairly regularly. Even by today's standards they are fast, rude and witty.

Brilliantly acted too!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Another new actor made one of his first roles last night. There was two cops at the house who wanted to use the house as surveillance on the neighbours. One was an older cop and the other a much younger cop. It wasn't till the end when the young cop was in hospital talking after being shot that I realised it was George Clooney .
  • Options
    Forum Member
    TVFreako wrote: »
    Another new actor made one of his first roles last night. There was two cops at the house who wanted to use the house as surveillance on the neighbours. One was an older cop and the other a much younger cop. It wasn't till the end when the young cop was in hospital talking after being shot that I realised it was George Clooney .

Isnt it a great episode? I love the relationship between Dorothy and Al! :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Isnt it a great episode? I love the relationship between Dorothy and Al! :D

http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_ljeuw56Add1qgjvrso1_500.png

Hahahahah!
  • Options
    LudwigVonDrakeLudwigVonDrake Posts: 12,836
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've noticed that the final credits card with the year keeps getting cut off now. Is that TLC under some deluded notion that they're hiding the age of the programme? or did it get cut for syndication and its just the tapes TLC got given?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 283
    Forum Member
    Every single epsiode makes me laugh our loud.
    I love the way Blanche laughs off (mostly) Sophia's hilarious comments about Blanches escapades and past.

Has anyone noticed how much Judge Judy is morphing into Sophia?:D
  • Options
    BarbraBarbra Posts: 15,581
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Maybe she had a minor stroke like Sophia did that stops her from thinking before the words come out of her mouth.
  • Options
    woot_whoowoot_whoo Posts: 18,030
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Not as much as Kim Jong Il did!

http://i.huffpost.com/gen/442273/thumbs/r-KIM-JONG-IL-large570.jpg
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,681
    Forum Member

I love the bit where Bea walks towards the door before the doorbell sound was played. :D
  • Options
    MoontakerMoontaker Posts: 3,066
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Thanks for posting this. It sent me on a trip around old clips, this one's good too - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_t0tTYN4SIs

It really is a true classic, still as funny now. I feel quite emotional rewatching the girls, knowing only Betty's still here. :cry:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    EuroChris wrote: »
    I love the bit where Bea walks towards the door before the doorbell sound was played. :D

Me too! :D
    Moontaker wrote: »
    Thanks for posting this. It sent me on a trip around old clips, this one's good too - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_t0tTYN4SIs

It really is a true classic, still as funny now. I feel quite emotional rewatching the girls, knowing only Betty's still here. :cry:

I had seen that one. Its easy to get drawn into browsing the clips! :p
  • Options
    foxy23foxy23 Posts: 4,392
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I LOVE GG - Have all seven seasons...Was the first, original Sex and the City!
  • Options
    steveh31steveh31 Posts: 13,516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Every single epsiode makes me laugh our loud.
    I love the way Blanche laughs off (mostly) Sophia's hilarious comments about Blanches escapades and past.

Sophia age 50 is spitting image of Judge Judy.