Suspects - Channel 5 12 February (Merged)

Comments

• welshfoxywelshfoxy Posts: 6,985
    Forum Member
    Very run of the mill. Yet another child abduction cop drama. Yawn. This is like that ITV daytime drama which used real cops with ex soap actors.

That was made by the same company and same producers!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,405
    Forum Member
    I can see what they tried to do but unfortunately I don't think it worked.
  • karapote monkeykarapote monkey Posts: 3,688
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I enjoyed it.
  • JamieHTJamieHT Posts: 12,206
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Rob1985 wrote: »
    Awful so far. Worse acting than on Home & Away.

If you'd Neighbours or Hollyoaks I would've agreed, but the acting on Home and Away is mostly very good.
    indie.star wrote: »
    I can see what they tried to do but unfortunately I don't think it worked.

Exactly what I was going to say. I didn't know it was improvised but it showed. Give them a script and I think it'd be better.
  • AngelDollAngelDoll Posts: 137
    Forum Member
    I thought it was really good. Very realistic. Well done CH 5!!!
  • mojo5000mojo5000 Posts: 54,086
    Forum Member
    I found the format difficult to get into but I sort of liked it. Fay Ripley was the real weak link I thought.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,405
    Forum Member
    JamieHT wrote: »
    If you'd Neighbours or Hollyoaks I would've agreed, but the acting on Home and Away is mostly very good.

Exactly what I was going to say. I didn't know it was improvised but it showed. Give them a script and I think it'd be better.

I knew it was improvised, I read about it in one if the TV mags, that's why I gave it a go as I thought it would be interesting. Perhaps it would be better if it was scripted as I would think that trying to improvise that sort of situation would be incredibly difficult.

I also totally get what another poster said about Fay Ripley's scenes coming across somewhat spoof like.
  • StressMonkeyStressMonkey Posts: 13,347
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hmmm.

Not sure. It was watchable, but.... quite lacking. It was obvious it was the boy so the plot was pants. The Improv worked for the most part - I didn't realise it was improve until I read it here. The acting was hit & miss.

I'll give it another go before making up my mind.
  • moagmoag Posts: 2,350
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Didn't like Faye ripely thought she was awful
  • Gill PGill P Posts: 21,589
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought it was very good. The whole idea of it seemed to work but I tend to agree about Fay Ripley. She sounds as though she is reciting her words! I know I am biased but I thought Damien Molony was excellent.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 432
    Forum Member
    I hadn't realised that it was improvised until reading this thread. As I was watching it I felt like it was a bit similar to watching 'the office' in the way scenes cut in and out. Overall though I quite enjoyed it, will give it another go next week
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't know why this original thread I made wasn't used to comment!
  • steviexsteviex Posts: 132,259
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    After 20 minutes my finger was hovering over the remote but I stuck with it and thought it wasn't too bad after all.

I'll be watching again next week.
  • GillypootsGillypoots Posts: 6,812
    Forum Member
    I think it has potential as a series. It is written by Paul Marquess amongst others. He was involved with 'The Bill' at one time as well as the ITV afternoon series 'Crime Stories' that was on a couple of years ago.

I watched this without being aware of these facts, but it had the feel of Crime Stories, which I used to enjoy so I settled into the premise of this series quite happily.
  • BellaRosaBellaRosa Posts: 36,548
    Forum Member
    The small bit I saw reminded me of Crime Stories that was shown in the afternoons on ITV (I think) and this show should never have been scrapped >:(

They had the same type of SIR ... Soft Interview Room :D ... But it did look dreadful plus having Fay Ripley in it is not my cup of tea.
  • xNATILLYxxNATILLYx Posts: 6,509
    Forum Member
    I kind of liked the crime stories show :blush:

Anyway i mainly watched for Damien Molony ^_^

I wasn't sure at the start but it picked up. You could tell it was improvised & it was a bit all of the place. It quickly cut from one scene to the other. Damien was great though and by the end i kind of liked it. I will carry on watching it.
  • cas116cas116 Posts: 820
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It was OK, i'll give it another go next week but I wasn't gripped.
    Thought it was too obvious who had done it, and some of the scenes were a bit mumbley, I couldn't hear what was being said properly.

But it has potential so like I say, i'll stick with it for a while.
  • clara28clara28 Posts: 1,520
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hmmmmmmm, I kind of admired what Channel 5, a channel not exactly known for its innovative output, was trying to do. Well done to them for taking a risk in terms of an attempt at something beyond a cookie cutter cop show.

But.........the 'edgy' camera work was a bit tiresome, NYPD Blue were doing that back in 199-whatever. Didn't realise it was billed as an improvised drama but it was pretty obvious. Improvised to me generally means lots of filler 'ummmmmms' and 'errrrrs'.

Personally I can't stand Fay Ripley, something about her really grates so not sure if she was crap or it was coloured by my dislike of her! Thought Damien Molony was quite good in his part though.

Overall it was basically just The Bill without a script and with a tired armed camera person. I don't think I'll be watching again.
  • anyonefortennisanyonefortennis Posts: 111,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    welshfoxy wrote: »
    That was made by the same company and same producers!

Aaaaah I see. Makes sense. They are very similar in style.
  • theidtheid Posts: 6,058
    Forum Member
    Brilliant cast but disappointing format. I'll keep watching but not holding out much hope.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mods, thanks for merging the two threads. Makes more sense!
  • carl.waringcarl.waring Posts: 35,695
    Forum Member
    Just watched this. Not read any comments.

I'd forgotten it was "doco style" so that threw me for a while. Not bad though, I suppose.

What I really want to know is, which bits were actually improvised and how was the whole this constructed.

For example, I assume they had a plot outline and an idea where each scene had to get to at the end. Would be interesting to find out.
  • ScotlassScotlass Posts: 819
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Don't like the moving camera bit, find that hard to watch, but did like the fast moving storyline. I'll watch next week.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just watched this. Not read any comments.

I'd forgotten it was "doco style" so that threw me for a while. Not bad though, I suppose.

What I really want to know is, which bits were actually improvised and how was the whole this constructed.

For example, I assume they had a plot outline and an idea where each scene had to get to at the end. Would be interesting to find out.

Fay Ripley was on This Morning talking about this. She said they were given the outline of each scene and then had to improvise within those parameters. She said it was quite tricky at first but they soon got into it.
  • carl.waringcarl.waring Posts: 35,695
    Forum Member
    Yeah. I thought it would be something like that.

Thanks.