Options

Three 4G Rollout | Free 4G for ALL!

Comments

• Options
    WelshBluebirdWelshBluebird Posts: 740
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So I finally have go on 4G. Woo!

First impressions were not great. At Bristol Temple Meads on Saturday the fastest I got was 10Mbps down and 2Mbps up.

Different story in Cardiff though. First speedtest just in the city centre gave me 23Mbps down and 19Mbps up. As the coverage map shows, I managed to get 4G signal at the Cardiff City Stadium (only 1 bar, but I kind of expected that as the stadium is in an outdoor only coverage area) and managed to get 14Mbps down and 1.37Mbps up. Very impressed there as normally on 3G you struggle to use data at all, and yet I was even able to stream some of the build up to the England V Ireland six nations game at half time! And this afternoon I got a speedtest of 43Mbps down and 18Mbps up when I was waiting on a train at Cardiff Central Station.

I travelled through Bristol again this evening and managed to get 23Mbps down and 3.5Mbps up at Temple Meads, so I am not sure what was up yesterday (or what the deal is with the low upload speeds).

Overall, very happy. Just wish they'd now enable more masts and roll it out to Bath!
  • Options
    mogzyboymogzyboy Posts: 6,436
    Forum Member
    Here is my best effort from Cardiff yesterday:
    http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/i/774111264
  • Options
    Forum Member
    A couple of observations from yesterday... Firstly, changing the server on the Speedtest app can dramatically alter the results. For example, the Bristol server gave me sporadic results - anything from 5Mbps to 30Mbps down, and from 3Mbps to 25Mbps up. The Ealing server gave me the most consistent results.

Secondly, it's quite annoying that it drops back to 3G so often. I'd like Three to alter it so that it chooses 4G regardless of 3G strength when 4G strength is 2 or more bars. Having said that, I had 1 bar at one point, and even that was good.

I had no 4G in the Cardiff City Stadium unfortunately - it choose 3G instead, which is annoying as it's pretty much unusable in there on matchdays.
  • Options
    WelshBluebirdWelshBluebird Posts: 740
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mogzyboy wrote: »
    I had no 4G in the Cardiff City Stadium unfortunately - it choose 3G instead, which is annoying as it's pretty much unusable in there on matchdays.

Weird! I don't think I had my phone locked to 4G. What stand were you in? As the signal was weak so I wouldn't be surprised if 4G is available in some areas of the stadium but not in other areas.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Weird! I don't think I had my phone locked to 4G. What stand were you in? As the signal was weak so I wouldn't be surprised if 4G is available in some areas of the stadium but not in other areas.
    Canton Stand. Get 4 bars of 3G in there so my hope is that the mast I get that from is yet to be enabled, and I'll get good 4G when it is.
    I have an iPhone 5S, so can't choose to lock to 4G unfortunately.
  • Options
    Dean LambertDean Lambert Posts: 1,057
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Woohoo I have 4G
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 23
    Forum Member
    Woohoo I have 4G

Which part of sheffield?

South side of sheffield here, near crystal peaks and not seen a whiff of 4G yet.
  • Options
    Sphinxy1Sphinxy1 Posts: 216
    Forum Member
    Which part of sheffield?

South side of sheffield here, near crystal peaks and not seen a whiff of 4G yet.

Alright for some! Don't use it all, make sure you share that speeeeed ;-)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 23
    Forum Member
    Sphinxy1 wrote: »
    Alright for some! Don't use it all, make sure you share that speeeeed ;-)

Heh I wish I had that speed. I'm still on my normal 2-3mbs of 3G, however been quite a few reports over the last 2 days of 4G popping up in Sheffield. Some in Dore, Heeley and Netheredge.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10
    Forum Member
    Has anyone noticed their data speeds being throttled while torrenting at any time of the day now not just after 3pm? I have seen a significant drop in speed while torrenting since I have been switched over to 4G, even if I force 3G only. I'm getting around 200KBps as opposed to what I used to get before the switch of up to 2.7+MBps.
    This coupled with the not so great 4G speed and reception makes me wish I had never been switched over.
  • Options
    huwdwhuwdw Posts: 643
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sat in my office in St Albans - I get a whopping 1 bar of 4G. I had to force 4G to get it. I'm 4 floors up so I have no idea where its coming from.
  • Options
    DarreninessexDarreninessex Posts: 486
    Forum Member
    Ok now have 4G on my nexus 5....but awfull speeds....worse than 3G. !!

I was at work in the London E6 7FB area and I was getting about 5 down and less than 2 up....I switched the phone to 3G and used that for a google hangout video chat

Not sure where the nearest mast is in my area.....

Venturing further into town today and will see how it goes

Darren
  • Options
    Aldridge AndyAldridge Andy Posts: 361
    Forum Member
    4G in Birmingham today 21mbs up and down! Awesome :-)
  • Options
    JFCJFC Posts: 569
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The coverage map has had a minor update. A cell to the south of me has gone pink. Nothing major though
  • Options
    ArdbeggordonArdbeggordon Posts: 56
    Forum Member
    Fastest I've had in Newcastle so far
    http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/3328058436
  • Options
    FontieFontie Posts: 17
    Forum Member
    JFC wrote: »
    The coverage map has had a minor update. A cell to the south of me has gone pink. Nothing major though

Deleted..read wrong
  • Options
    JordanT91JordanT91 Posts: 789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Fastest I've had in Newcastle so far
    http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/3328058436

Nice! The only place I can get 4g is at the Centre for Sport on the West Road and the most I got was 29 up/16 down. Interestingly, that area isn't covered by 4g on Three's coverage map, yet I can't get 4g anywhere else in the city. The city centre and Shieldfield, Heaton and Byker should all have 4g masts but I only get HSPA+ there. I don't even get HSPA+ where I live so I can't do tests that often unfortunately.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 81
    Forum Member
    No coverage map update for me in birmingham :(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    4G is now in my area (CF82) from........EE! Hopefully Three aren't too far behind now.
  • Options
    ThreeThree Posts: 1,160
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    steslatt wrote: »
    Has anyone noticed their data speeds being throttled while torrenting at any time of the day now not just after 3pm? I have seen a significant drop in speed while torrenting since I have been switched over to 4G, even if I force 3G only. I'm getting around 200KBps as opposed to what I used to get before the switch of up to 2.7+MBps.
    This coupled with the not so great 4G speed and reception makes me wish I had never been switched over.

I don't normally torrent using my mobile connection but did try it a few weeks back downloading all of the Ubuntu releases to see what kind of speeds I could hit. Managed to get 74Mbps down..
  • Options
    JwhiterzJwhiterz Posts: 528
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Off to Cardiff later today so we shall see if I'm going to be blessed with the presence of 4G
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 17,123
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Had 35.87mb down with 2 bars of signal this morning
  • Options
    enapaceenapace Posts: 4,303
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Noticed a weird problem today not sure if anyone else has noticed this. If you are on a 4G signal [was checking couple of news article] and go to text you lose signal all together absolutely nothing but emergency calls for about thirty seconds it fails send text and then you get 4G signal back and text is sent. Happened twice today hadn't noticed it before.
  • Options
    huwdwhuwdw Posts: 643
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Its been mentioned that a big update to the coverage map is coming. Any idea when?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 81
    Forum Member
    In my opinion i reckon because march is the month of the birthday for three and because a lot of the coverage maps are saying 4G is coming in march id say next monday/tuesday is prob goin to be a big day
This discussion has been closed.