Oscar Pistorius Trial (Merged)

Comments

• domedome Posts: 55,878
    Forum Member
    According to a 2001 entry in an industry newsletter, Roux was born on 21 November 1955 in Mahikeng. He attended Rooigrond Primary School and matriculated from Lichtenburg High School in 1973.

He obtained his law degrees from the University of South Africa (Unisa) and was admitted as an advocate on March 21, 1981.

Even though he's gained a reputation as a fierce opponent, Roux actually started out as a prosecutor (1973-1982) and then lectured at Justice College -- the state's training institution for law officials, expect judges and magistrates.

He joined the Pretoria Bar in 1982.

Roux's interests are listed as walking, going to the gym and running. At the time (of the newsletter's publication) he was married to Audrey Botha and had two children.

http://www.enca.com/south-africa/pistorius-trial-who-barry-bulldog-roux
  • sandy50sandy50 Posts: 22,043
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    well said sandy.... there is some totally illogical comments on here.... just hope if I am shot three times someone thinks best to call medical help what ever state I am in.. it is what any person with a normal intelligence would do.. and we all know it!!!
    and if you were to use my car to take to hospital, i'd want my seats protected, the dry cleaning bills are huge ! so you'd have to hang on while I arrange the plastic
  • RhumbatuggerRhumbatugger Posts: 85,713
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Because no-one has yet disputed the claim that he called Stander then called Netcare, not even the prosecution.

You've already said that he didn't call a 'lawyer', but in effect, he did.

We'll see about the netcare claim - but Stipp told them to phone an ambulance, why was that necessary?

And after the gunshots Baba testified that he phoned OP and got the answer 'everything is fine'.

The whole thing stinks, but we'll find out. Meanwhile I'm not going to take everything OP says as 'truth till it's challenged' I'm afraid.
  • barrbarrellabarrbarrella Posts: 3,601
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bollywood wrote: »
    An investigative reporter wrote that OP told a medic she had died 3 minutes ago (don't know if that is verified), so he must have thought her to be alive (if this is true).

True, your are right... and let's face it. any accident or person needing medical help. the first thing any person with a normal brain would do is phone for hlelp. there were more than a few mobiles lying about too!!
  • benjaminibenjamini Posts: 32,066
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think we will hear much about what he did post the shooing as it has little bearing on whether or not this was pre meditated murder. Who he called and didn't call might prove only that he was possibly looking to damage limitation at worse or sheer confusion and shock at best. I cannot see that going anywhere much for either side.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bollywood wrote: »
    An investigative reporter wrote that OP told a medic she had died 3 minutes ago (don't know if that is verified), so he must have thought her to be alive (if this is true).
    but there's an issue with that - if he told that to a medic 'at the scene' he's lying about the time delay from her death in the toilet to when the medics arrived. And if he's talking about what he said in a phone call, why then during the time she was on floor in toilet did he call the Standers call whoever else and then by the time Standers arrived, he took her downstairs and then on Stipp arriving he was seen to be unblocking her airways..

...but Stipp didn't say Oscar spoke to a medic on the phone when he was with Reeva, so he must then have spoken to one when upstairs in the toilet, --- which was way more than 3 minute before Stipp arrived where he saw Oscar still trying to revive her - why was he doing that if she was already dead ? And the Standers didn't mention to Rensburg that while they were there Oscar had called and spoken to a medic - Standers said that Oscar asked them to take her to hospital, but they said to call an ambulance - and if I remember correctly, on calling a medic Standers gave Stipp the phone to talk to them !!
  • valdvald Posts: 46,057
    Forum Member
    petertard wrote: »
    Pistorius might have been deluding himself that Reeva was still alive but bleeding to death although she was probably dead a few seconds after the fatal shot.

Or....

'She died in my arms'.

'We were very much in love'

..........sounds so much better than the truth.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    vald wrote: »
    Or....

'She died in my arms'.

'We were very much in love'

..........sounds so much better than the truth.

there's no doubt that a relationship was developing, but in love after 3 months ????!!! they weren't fickle teenagers, I doubt it all very much.
  • weirlandia4evaweirlandia4eva Posts: 1,484
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have a question regarding the emergency services/netcare. My understanding is that SA has 11 official languages. what languages do the call centre operators use. I am assuming they wouldn't speak all the official languages. it must be very confusing.

also i found this on wiki so not sure how accurate it is:
    There are currently no official "response time" standards in the South African system. However, response times of fifteen minutes for high-acuity calls in urban areas are considered acceptable,

Also, my understanding before the trial started was that a lot would rest on whether OP was wearing his prothestics when he fired the gun because the prosecution had previously insisted that he was wearing them and he insisted he wasn't. yet they know accept that OP was telling the truth about not wearing his prothestics when he fire the gun. :confused:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sandy50 wrote: »
    but there's an issue with that - if he told that to a medic 'at the scene' he's lying about the time delay from her death in the toilet to when the medics arrived. And if he's talking about what he said in a phone call, why then during the time she was on floor in toilet did he call the Standers call whoever else and then by the time Standers arrived, he took her downstairs and then on Stipp arriving he was seen to be unblocking her airways..

...but Stipp didn't say Oscar spoke to a medic on the phone when he was with Reeva, so he must then have spoken to one when upstairs in the toilet, --- which was way more than 3 minute before Stipp arrived where he saw Oscar still trying to revive her - why was he doing that if she was already dead ? And the Standers didn't mention to Rensburg that while they were there Oscar had called and spoken to a medic - Standers said that Oscar asked them to take her to hospital, but they said to call an ambulance - and if I remember correctly, on calling a medic Standers gave Stipp the phone to talk to them !!

#this sounds more likely, these details.... when are we getting to the phone records... they must be crucial evidence surely to clear up all these questions??
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He didn't. It's more forum fantasy. He called Stander and told him to call the emergency services. He then called Netcare himself.

Add CurleysWife to this conversation since s/he kicked this off:

Where has it been proven that OP called Netcare? Roux "put that to you" verbally at the bail hearing, but by now we all know how much that is worth. Why didn't Stander call medical services? OP called Stander specifically to ask him to call medical, right? Why was Stipp told that no one had called medical and he had to get that going?

OP never call medical, but somehow he did manage to get two attorneys to his home. That took a call or two to achieve.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So how did he get a head shot in if he couldn't see through the door? Has he got like x-ray vision or something?
    the way that Ballistics guy interpretted the stance Oscar would have been in holding his gun pointing at what he called the 'target' , looked like Oscar at the firing range - that toilet is tiny, its one where there's no space to swing Roux's cat in - built probably for Oscar not having to move too much, he didn't need a large loo with his disability - he needs a small space for convenience - (very small loo for such a large house!) - so chances are with Oscar's accuracy he'd have hit her with 3 shots and killed with one statistically.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Where has it been proven that OP called Netcare? Roux "put that to you" verbally at the bail hearing, but by now we all know how much that is worth. Why didn't Stander call medical services? OP called Stander specifically to ask him to call medical, right? Why was Stipp told that no one had called medical and he had to get that going?

OP never call medical, but somehow he did manage to get two attorneys to his home. That took a call or two to achieve.

well said james - let the facts prevail.. those facts are accurate!!!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    #this sounds more likely, these details.... when are we getting to the phone records... they must be crucial evidence surely to clear up all these questions??

the way Nel has called witnesses, last one was the Ballistics guy, then the data analyst for the ipad, surely it follows that the next will be phone record data analyst, then another neighbour witness, next door, then Reeva's friend/family she lived with , to round it all off to humanise Reeva, her personality, her dreams, the kind of person she was, they'll be tears to end the State Case, you bet it will be hard hitting
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Stipp is a very credible witness. And he called medical himself, all very suss, I'm afraid.

I also find it alarming that he was told the police would contact him, but his name NOT given over and he had to come forward himself.

It's not pretty any of this. And I dont' know how far the 'mass panic and confusion' can cover it all.
  • Zizu58Zizu58 Posts: 3,658
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wheres the motive?

He's unbalanced and had been proven to be completely wreckless .. that plus the evidence is enough for me .

That said he will probably get a suspended sentence , sadly .

I've thought that for a while tbh
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    the way that Ballistics guy interpretted the stance Oscar would have been in holding his gun pointing at what he called the 'target' , looked like Oscar at the firing range - that toilet is tiny, its one where there's no space to swing Roux's cat in - built probably for Oscar not having to move too much, he didn't need a large loo with his disability - he needs a small space for convenience - (very small loo for such a large house!) - so chances are with Oscar's accuracy he'd have hit her with 3 shots and killed with one statistically.
    that is totally true, the toilet measurements have been given literally about 4 t x 4ft I think, just a cubicle, with the bullets and close proximity you are very likely to "get lucky" .... and Sandy I''m sure the cat is following this while Roux at court, so don't frighten him with thoughts of being swung in the toilet. :kitty::kitty::o
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Do you think Oscar's Uncle will testify ? oscar as a child, overcoming all odds blah blah blah
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    benjamini wrote: »
    I don't think we will hear much about what he did post the shooing as it has little bearing on whether or not this was pre meditated murder. Who he called and didn't call might prove only that he was possibly looking to damage limitation at worse or sheer confusion and shock at best. I cannot see that going anywhere much for either side.

I think it does demonstrate the possiblity that OP wanted to 'cover up' what had happened, to 'put in motion' a story that would cover him.

And that suggests that there was something to dissemble about.

Although it is argued that it was all shock and confusion.

I think all these details have added to the idea that OP was guilty of more than some 'accidental shooting'.

But it's not vital.
  • foxylady1969foxylady1969 Posts: 42
    Forum Member
    So we've got the assumption that Oscar and Reeva had an argument that escalated to a furious blood rage.
    Oscar chased Reeva into the toilet picking his gun and bat up on the way, Oscar now being in bloodlust blasted 4 shots through a toilet door specifically to kill Reeva because they'd had a row.
    Have I got that right so far?

My question is this, if Reeva was in such fear for her life/violence why didn't she run out of the bedroom and down the stairs instead of running to a place she had no escape from?
    She could have been out the door and running round the estate screaming for help before Oscar even got his legs on.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Do you think Oscar's Uncle will testify ? oscar as a child, overcoming all odds blah blah blah

let's hope not, thAt would be scraping the barrel, but Roux DOES scrape the barrel sometimes doesn't he (Oscars screaming for a start)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    that is totally true, the toilet measurements have been given literally about 4 t x 4ft I think, just a cubicle, with the bullets and close proximity you are very likely to "get lucky" .... and Sandy I''m sure the cat is following this while Roux at court, so don't frighten him with thoughts of being swung in the toilet. :kitty::kitty::o
    that's so true...silly me..... Roux will have me cautioned for 'hypothetically swinging his moggy in the loo' :o:kitty:
    That was a very very tiny toilet, it was a cubicle as it's known over there !!! so makes the premed charge more weighty, even his intruder would have been killed at point blank range.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So we've got the assumption that Oscar and Reeva had an argument that escalated to a furious blood rage.
    Oscar chased Reeva into the toilet picking his gun and bat up on the way, Oscar now being in bloodlust blasted 4 shots through a toilet door specifically to kill Reeva because they'd had a row.
    Have I got that right so far?

My question is this, if Reeva was in such fear for her life/violence why didn't she run out of the bedroom and down the stairs instead of running to a place she had no escape from?
    She could have been out the door and running round the estate screaming for help before Oscar even got his legs on.

We understand that OP had the bedroom door locked.. I believe that was reported and the key out
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    let's hope not, thAt would be scraping the barrel, but Roux DOES scrape the barrel sometimes doesn't he (Oscars screaming for a start)
    Roux's already said he has a witness who will show that a man's screams can be mistaken for a woman's screams - to discredit the neighbour's damming testimony. I know some men with high pitched laughs and shrieks, but ........ hmmmm
  • Zizu58Zizu58 Posts: 3,658
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    vald wrote: »
    I wonder what he would have done if he had been alone and had a serious accident and was rapidly losing blood. Call a friend, call a lawyer or ring his doctor/emergency services for advice/help.

You missed the option of replacing his PR guy and rearranging his offshore accounts ...
    :)
This discussion has been closed.