Options

Coronation Street Is Horrible, Terrible, Dreadful, Appalling, Unwatchable...

Comments

• Options
    bornfreebornfree Posts: 16,360
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hotgossip wrote: »
    Blackburn is missing a trick. What is really needed in Corrie is a jobless Slovakian family who are living on benefits and chucking all their rubbish in the back ginnel. :D

:DYou're natural born writer:D:D
  • Options
    HotgossipHotgossip Posts: 22,385
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bornfree wrote: »
    :DYou're natural born writer:D:D

I've started a scriptwriters thread :D
  • Options
    cas1977cas1977 Posts: 6,399
    Forum Member
    The low point for me was Steve falling on Andrea and Andrea opening her arms to embrace Steve. It was truly gut wrenchingly awful writing and if Steve pulls any more baby faces I shall be sick.
    He's supposed to be a grown man in charge of a pub and he acts like a school boy! I wonder if he gets embarrassed watching himself on screen?
  • Options
    FlukieFlukie Posts: 40,578
    Forum Member
    cas1977 wrote: »
    The low point for me was Steve falling on Andrea and Andrea opening her arms to embrace Steve. It was truly gut wrenchingly awful writing and if Steve pulls any more baby faces I shall be sick.
    He's supposed to be a grown man in charge of a pub and he acts like a school boy! I wonder if he gets embarrassed watching himself on screen?

Steve's 40 in June. Does he not act it?
  • Options
    2shy20072shy2007 Posts: 52,579
    Forum Member
    Hotgossip wrote: »
    Blackburn is missing a trick. What is really needed in Corrie is a jobless Slovakian family who are living on benefits and chucking all their rubbish in the back ginnel. :D

We've had black people, we've had mixed race people, we've got plenty of Asians now we need the Slovaks.

They had an Eastern European but they killed her off, I quite liked her.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 681
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't have a problem with Stuart Blackburn - I didn't really mind his time at ED, and I think he had a lot to cope with when he first started. All I know is that I found the Anna/Phelan stuff quite horrible, and the rest of it disappointing. I want the Sophie/Maddie story to be better - I have no problem with either character - but it was unbelievable and boring, very unlike the similar stuff on homelessness that EE has done.

The Phelan storyline, which is ridiculously melodramatic, has so many holes (Tina's flat is worth money, and Owen had another house big enough for him and his daughters before he moved in with Anna) is difficult for me to watch. It reminds me of late-era Brookside, and not just because of Phelan, because the storyline is damaging the family too much for it ever to end properly. As others have said, the cheesy 'we love you mum' scenes showed that the writers don't know when to stop.
  • Options
    VoodooChicVoodooChic Posts: 9,868
    Forum Member
    It's definitely on a downward spiral - and I suspect it's Blackburn. Although it's still not as bad as 1995/6 and 2005 (The VERY strange Summer of slapstick)
    He should go - and we need another Brian Park. Axe 10 characters on day 1.
  • Options
    MattehhhftwMattehhhftw Posts: 8,688
    Forum Member
    How SB got a job there is beyond me, he sucked at Emmerdale. Let's hope he doesn't take over EE in the future!
  • Options
    Reality SucksReality Sucks Posts: 28,538
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    :confused: The Phelan story line is the only one that makes Corrie worthwhile watching at the moment. Seeing Phelan crowd surf the bed after having his wicked way with Anna made the rest of the evening's offerings almost tolerable.

I'm finding it impossible to enjoy. What woman could be stupid enough to sleep with her boyfriend's mortal enemy and think it will somehow make things better? All she's done is given Phelan ammunition to blackmail her with :( I know it's only a soap, but it should have a modicum of credibility)

I'm just not liking it at the moment. To think people complained about Phil Collinson's era which actually had some cracking storylines.
  • Options
    trevor tigertrevor tiger Posts: 37,996
    Forum Member

I was thinking doesn't he get embarrassed when asked to do such pathetic and ridiculous scenes? That was more worthy of a Carry on Film except they'd have acted it better.
  • Options
    ValentineValentine Posts: 3,852
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm finding it impossible to enjoy. What woman could be stupid enough to sleep with her boyfriend's mortal enemy and think it will somehow make things better? All she's done is given Phelan ammunition to blackmail her with :( I know it's only a soap, but it should have a modicum of credibility)

I'm just not liking it at the moment. To think people complained about Phil Collinson's era which actually had some cracking storylines.

This is exactly how I feel, but I often did during Collinson's reign too. I've govern it up for a month or a couple of weeks but then get drawn back in. I can't watch it in 'live' time though, there are far too many storylines I dislike, and characters I loathe - Michelle being right at the top of the list, followed by Sophie and her personality-free playmate, Eileen, Jenna, nick, Leanne, Dev, Liz, Rita, Kal, Tina (obviously!), the Windass-Atmstrong lot (Owen was ok before he was turned into a wimp), Fiz, Chesney and that beige piece he's living with, Gail. There's just no fun or humour anymore. I hated the Phelan/Anna utter nonsense last night too, unbelievable that a so-called strong, sassy northern woman would believe the word of a blackmailer!
  • Options
    warleywitchwarleywitch Posts: 2,541
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've stopped watching it . It's easy if you miss about three episodes. I can't waste my life on something so awful. I much rather ED now so CS can go out of my life until SB goes. I've watched CS all my life too.
  • Options
    sorrentosorrento Posts: 1,857
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well my original post is partly tongue in cheek, but there is a serious point, which is that CS is really being run into the ground by TPTB at the moment/

I'd rather re-live Derek's Gnomes than see any more of Maddy and Fog Horn in the gutter, that's how bad it is. ;)

Yes I have to agree with that.............
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was thinking doesn't he get embarrassed when asked to do such pathetic and ridiculous scenes? That was more worthy of a Carry on Film except they'd have acted it better.

I suppose he does it because it pays the bills. Also he has been in the soap for so long, there's not much he can do but agree to such scenes.
  • Options
    SuperSoaperSuperSoaper Posts: 5,724
    Forum Member
    The Anna stuff is cheap and nasty and quite embarrassing. You can't watch this show with your family any more.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Anna stuff is cheap and nasty and quite embarrassing. You can't watch this show with your family any more.

You're right. It is no longer a soap that families can sit and watch together. Even now there are some things I can watch if my family are around and the Phelan and Anna story would have been one of them.
  • Options
    smudesmude Posts: 17,601
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have watched since 1960 and always recorded when on holiday. About a month ago I thought "enough" and haven't watched since. It's been an absolute relief and I haven't missed it. I come on these threads to see if there has been any improvement but it doesn't seem so.
  • Options
    warleywitchwarleywitch Posts: 2,541
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've stopped watching it . It's easy if you miss about three episodes. I can't waste my life on something so awful. I much rather ED now so CS can go out of my life until SB goes. I've watched CS all my life too.
  • Options
    trevor tigertrevor tiger Posts: 37,996
    Forum Member
    bornfree wrote: »
    I suppose he does it because it pays the bills. Also he has been in the soap for so long, there's not much he can do but agree to such scenes.

I appreciate this but wasn't really asking why, just isn't he and the rest of the so called professionals involved in producing that scene totally embarrassed by it :confused: Obviously not and that is why we have to put up with this rubbish.
    smude wrote: »
    I have watched since 1960 and always recorded when on holiday. About a month ago I thought "enough" and haven't watched since. It's been an absolute relief and I haven't missed it. I come on these threads to see if there has been any improvement but it doesn't seem so.

I'm impressed. I suppose I don't take it seriously enough to need to give up watching all together but I admit I do often miss episodes and whereas at one time I'd have caught up straight away and enjoyed doing so now I'm rather pleased I've missed them :(
  • Options
    Fadge1968Fadge1968 Posts: 431
    Forum Member
    smude wrote: »

Same here. It's like giving up chocolate. Really sad to see it now in the gutter. Sawfie webster really did it for me. Even her awful sister was a better character.
  • Options
    MONIFIETHBOYMONIFIETHBOY Posts: 786
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This is for you then :phttps://imgflip.com/gif/83bhg
  • Options
    Mr_EyeMr_Eye Posts: 1,495
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I no longer watch any soaps. Theyre all an absolute wankpile.
  • Options
    Fadge1968Fadge1968 Posts: 431
    Forum Member
    Mr_Eye wrote: »
    I no longer watch any soaps. Theyre all an absolute wankpile.

:blush::kitty::o:confused::p but true;-)
  • Options
    AmethyztAmethyzt Posts: 4,383
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Agree it is getting worse and worse ... I hardly watch at all now , just check spoilers to see if anything of interest coming up ( answer NO. ).
    Sad to see a once great Soap going downhill like this
  • Options
    radcliffe95radcliffe95 Posts: 4,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stuart Blackburn should never be allowed to work in TV ever again.