Taboo subjects - are there any left?

Comments

• Options
    boddismboddism Posts: 16,436
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Cannibalism in the UK.

Cannibalism ANYWHERE really!!

Its such a rare occurence its not likely to come up as a topic with anyone very often.
  • Options
    PrincessTTPrincessTT Posts: 4,300
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    boddism wrote: »
    Cannibalism ANYWHERE really!!

Its such a rare occurence its not likely to come up as a topic with anyone very often.

It's a topic that seems to come up whenever I mention to people that I'm thinking of going to Nigeria, quite a few of my Nigerian friends have warned me against going because of cannibalism. I didn't take them that seriously until I read this -

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/africa/cannibal-restaurant-with-roasted-human-heads-on-the-menu-shut-down-by-police-9123693.html
  • Options
    Billy_ValueBilly_Value Posts: 22,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    toe sucking?
  • Options
    Goblin QueenGoblin Queen Posts: 633
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hypnodisc wrote: »
    I'd say 'benefits' and 'being on benefits' are some of the few things which have become more taboo over the last few years.

And I mean that quite seriously as well. Some consider claimants to be complete scum of the earth and I don't think that rhetoric was quite as strong even 5-10 years ago.

I couldn't agree with you more. I'd go as far to say it's dangerous for any of us to be sick and disabled too in terms of hate crimes against us becoming more common.

This hatred seems to stem from the time ATOS first showed their ugly mug. No coincidence in that, surely? >:(
  • Options
    jrajra Posts: 48,325
    Forum Member
    That's because most British people only worship themselves!

It's true. Everyone has gone up their own arsehole and any kind of morality the church teaches, or has ever taught, has gone out the window!

Everyone. I like generalisations.

And you can be taught morals without ever needing to go to church or being religious.
  • Options
    Goblin QueenGoblin Queen Posts: 633
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jra wrote: »

And you can be taught morals without ever needing to go to church or being religious.

Maybe performingmunk is hanging out with the wrong crowd, as I know enough people who are decent and not selfish.

I especially agree with you about not needing church in order to know how to have morals.
  • Options
    IzzySIzzyS Posts: 11,045
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    boddism wrote: »
    Overt religiosity.

I dont mean going to a meditation class or doing the local church hall jumble sale.

Imagine going to work on a Monday, you ask yr work colleagues what they did at the weekend? someone replies: "I went to church. I have a great relationship with Jesus, my life has improved so much since I accepted him as my Lord and Saviour"

Whats the response gonna be?? I suspect an awkward silence 90% of the time, maybe someone changes the topic. Perhaps a sympathetic person might say "Oh thats nice for you, I went to a wedding/funeral a couple of years ago it was nice/comforting". Perhaps an atheist might start a debate about religion.

What youre NOT gonna get as a response in the UK is: "Thats GREAT!" or "Thats so interesting tell me more".

British people dont do religion, and dont do overt religious conversation in particular.
    This would seem odd to many people around the world

I might be interested in talking about it - I've always been interested in/curious about religion and how it effects people. I'm not sure what exactly I'd ask though, so maybe I'd just say I was happy for them...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Most definitely. As someone who has had a very long history of mental health problems, stigma is still rife even though we like to believe we're more "politically correct" these days.

And the way most people talk about suicide is so ignorant and disgusting. To be suicidal means you are as ill as you can get. I've been there. People who call those who contemplate or actually succeed at committing suicide "selfish" and "cowardly" need to educate themselves.

I've never understood people who claim suicide is selfish, or the easy way out - its anything but, surely?. I'd feel greatly sad for anyone who did it and not angry, well maybe at myself for not realising their state of mind and how bad things were for them but thats all.

Suicide is pretty much a banned topic on the internet though - when I started a topic in relation to it, on another forum, it was deleted because it was against the TOS. Its not as if I was promoting it in any way, for goodness sake...taboos need to be talked about!.
    jra wrote: »

Agreed. Generalisations are a pet hate of mine. Morality is somewhat innate in all of us, isn't it? ie. instinctual, to a degree. Certainly a decent upbringing does help but I don't see why you should have to have attended church regularly to have a big sense of morality.
  • Options
    The WizardThe Wizard Posts: 11,071
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My mate told me that years ago he organised a surprise birthday for his female friend. He got the key to her flat and they all hid in the kitchen and waited for her to come home. After about 5 minutes they all jumped out to shout Surprise! but she was on the sofa with her skirt hiked up, having oral sex with her pet dog.

I'd say that was pretty taboo and not something she would have wanted to talk about.
  • Options
    DaisyBumblerootDaisyBumbleroot Posts: 24,763
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bullying, or rather being a bully. You hear plenty of stories about being bullied and what it's effect has been, but no one ever talks about themselves as the bully and why they did / do what they did / do.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bullying, or rather being a bully. You hear plenty of stories about being bullied and what it's effect has been, but no one ever talks about themselves as the bully and why they did / do what they did / do.

Bullies were often bullied when they were a kid, or have an unhappy family life, thats what I hear. Whether they'd admit to that though is another matter entirely, I suppose.
  • Options
    ArcanaArcana Posts: 37,521
    Forum Member
    There are lots of subjects that are avoided because of the potential for misunderstanding.

I'm thinking of certain issues with regard to 'race' that people avoid for fear of being labelled racist. Another example would be certain mental health issues. Also something like ephebophilia because inevitably many people will conflate it with paedophilia.
  • Options
    Terry WigonTerry Wigon Posts: 6,831
    Forum Member
    Arcana wrote: »
    There are lots of subjects that are avoided because of the potential for misunderstanding.

I'm thinking of certain issues with regard to 'race' that people avoid for fear of being labelled racist. Another example would be certain mental health issues. Also something like ephebophilia because inevitably many people will conflate it with paedophilia.

I feel that commenting on body physiology can be problematic. For example, the muscle mass and weight distribution in black people of African origin means they are better equipped to excel in some sports (eg, track and field) rather than swimming. This is because, on average, people of these origins tend to be more muscle dense. That is how people have evolved to survive their environment. It is not a value judgement on the colour of a person's skin - just to the difference in body composition.
  • Options
    Bex_123Bex_123 Posts: 10,783
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That's because most British people only worship themselves! :D

It's true. Everyone has gone up their own arsehole and any kind of morality the church teaches, or has ever taught, has gone out the window!

Rubbish.

There are many, many people who are not 'up their own arsehole', maybe you just need to find them.

And if someone needs a church to teach them morality there's something very wrong.
  • Options
    ArcanaArcana Posts: 37,521
    Forum Member
    I feel that commenting on body physiology can be problematic. For example, the muscle mass and weight distribution in black people of African origin means they are better equipped to excel in some sports (eg, track and field) rather than swimming. This is because, on average, people of these origins tend to be more muscle dense. That is how people have evolved to survive their environment. It is not a value judgement on the colour of a person's skin - just to the difference in body composition.

Exactly. I mean everyone notices that the vast majority of the world's fastest sprinters are of West African origin but people who suspect there may be a physiological explanation or part explanation are going to think twice about how that view could be misinterpreted.
  • Options
    performingmonkperformingmonk Posts: 20,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bex_123 wrote: »
    Rubbish.

There are many, many people who are not 'up their own arsehole', maybe you just need to find them.

And if someone needs a church to teach morality there's something very wrong.

I was using this as a reason why British people don't talk about church much or go to church. People don't need the church anymore because they have themselves, celebrities, artists, football teams, the internet to focus on, to worship rather than turning to religion.

I'm not saying people need the church to teach them morality but it was something that did used to do that. Many people (yeah not 'everyone') are too self-obsessed and materialistic to teach their kids right from wrong.
  • Options
    barrowgirlbarrowgirl Posts: 1,944
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I know one and I have it .Having a colostomy is still a big taboo .People hate talking about bowels and things .I go on an American forum and someone was talking about Crohns disease - they got lots of responses .When I joined in and said I had a bag the thread stopped dead in it's tracks :) Even though Emmerdale tried to tackle this in the past with Diane getting the op , she was soon being reversed and it was all forgotten .

Saying that I think soaps have gone issue mad .I am tired of seeing episodes that end with "if you have been affected by any of the issues in tonight's programme ,ring ......"

I notice there isn't one for a support group to help us survive the mystery of why Edna won't part with her hat :p
  • Options
    CentaurionCentaurion Posts: 2,060
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    someone posited the theory on ds that homosexuality was a life choice, that thread was closed pretty dang pronto.
  • Options
    Bulletguy1Bulletguy1 Posts: 18,429
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Cannibalism in the UK.
    That has to be up there at the very top though not confined to UK by any means.

Remember the Andes plane crash survivors and the problems/issues which ensued as to exactly how those found alive had managed to survive? That must have been a living hell for them to come to terms with. In fact i doubt any ever did. :o
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Males suffering from eating disorders, that's still swept under the carpet.
  • Options
    NX-74205NX-74205 Posts: 4,691
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Munting* is pretty much taboo, in fact I don't think I've ever heard a report of that practice in the media.

*research at your own risk. :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Males suffering from eating disorders, that's still swept under the carpet.

John Prescott had bulimia and wrote about it in his biography/memoirs I think?.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    IzzyS wrote: »
    John Prescott had bulimia and wrote about it in his biography/memoirs I think?.

You have to understand that people like me only know John Prescott as the shouty politician boss man :p

In general though the media would have people believe it's a female problem.
  • Options
    performingmonkperformingmonk Posts: 20,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A lad at my sister's school was anorexic for a time. The response from people was always 'lads don't get that, do they? what do lads want to look thin for?' etc.

I'm not sure if it's been mentioned yet but talking about menstruation is definitely a taboo, right? There's a bit in Red Dwarf where Kryten has put a banner up for Kochanski saying 'Have A Fantastic Period!'
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You have to understand that people like me only know John Prescott as the shouty politician boss man :p

In general though the media would have people believe it's a female problem.

He was interviewed about it.

I found this:- http://www.nursingtimes.net/nursing-practice/clinical-zones/mental-health/john-prescott-raises-the-issue-of-eating-disorders-in-men/1295557.article