Factory Reset on Apple iMac Desktop

Having purchased a new iMac and transferred all data from the old iMac to it, I now want to factory reset the old iMac. It has OSX Mavericks already updated. The model is 21.5" 4gb Ram, 500gb HDD. Can anyone please advise correct and simple way of resetting as there are various ideas on the net which is somewhat confusing in their instructions.

Comments

• SightworthySightworthy Posts: 34
    Forum Member
    There is a how to guide here on How-To-Geeks.

How to Reinstall OS X on Your Mac, Wipe Your Drive, and Create USB Installation Media.

http://www.howtogeek.com/186860/how-to-reinstall-os-x-on-your-mac-wipe-your-drive-and-create-usb-installation-media/
  • RoushRoush Posts: 4,368
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I you have a decent internet connection then just using Internet Recovery is probably the easiest way.

Erase the hard drive before installing, and use a secure wipe option if you're worried about any data that could still be on the drive.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4718
  • FaustFaust Posts: 8,985
    Forum Member
    If you want to sell it on then you will have to reinstall the OS that came with it when you bought it. For example my iMac has up to date Mavericks installed. However, it is a mid-2011 machine which originally had SL installed. If I wanted to sell it I would need to reinstall SL.
  • MartinPickeringMartinPickering Posts: 3,711
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not sure whether you are stating that from a legal or technical standpoint but I recently bought a 2011 MacBook Pro with Mavericks installed. Mavericks is a free upgrade anyway so I don't see a problem.
  • mred2000mred2000 Posts: 10,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Faust wrote: »
    If I wanted to sell it I would need to reinstall SL.

You wouldn't 'need' to, it's your choice. Many people sell Macs on with the most up to date OSX but with the discs/media that came with the system, others sell them as they bought them, some even sell them with a load of paid for software along with the caveat "discs not included". Anything goes and grey areas are flaunted with, pretty much.
  • FaustFaust Posts: 8,985
    Forum Member
    I'm not sure whether you are stating that from a legal or technical standpoint but I recently bought a 2011 MacBook Pro with Mavericks installed. Mavericks is a free upgrade anyway so I don't see a problem.

The OS is registered to your account as they are now all downloads. Therefore I could as an example sell mine with Mavericks but that copy, free or not is registered to me. A new owner would then have difficulties as the machine calls home on a regular basis to confirm who it is registered to.

That has been the case with Mac's for some years now. Plenty of info online detailing this and how to prepare your machine for sale.
  • testcardtestcard Posts: 8,202
    Forum Member
    And don't forget to de-authorise your iTunes account and sign out of any iCloud accounts.