Options

Ultimatum

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 405
Forum Member
So now that the first major brand-wide event (im not counting Gah-Lak-Tus) has finished in the Ultimate Marvel U, i just wondered what you all thought?

Do you think they can rebuild after such massive devastation? Do you think some of the major deaths were right to happen? Where do you see the teams and remaining characters go from here?

Comments

• Options
    The PhazerThe Phazer Posts: 8,487
    Forum Member
    It was utterly wretched.

As well as being a terrible story in and of itself with major holes in it, it basically ruins the Ultimate Universe. It's now effectively a post apocalyptic landscape. It's not set in the real world but with superheroes any more (unless they're just going to ignore the destruction of New York or pretend that it was fixed in three weeks, which granted looks like it might be the plan).

Honestly I think the entire universe will be dead within three years now.

Phazer
  • Options
    Ultra MagnusUltra Magnus Posts: 2,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jeph Loed pretty much raped the shit out of the Ultimate Universe.

Ultimates 3 sucked on a massive scale, and then his name was on the series that nuked the entire continuity.
    It's so sad because I loved Ultimates 1, liked Ultimates 2 (despite its many flaws) and enjoyed Ultimate Spidey - much more than the 619 universe.

Oh well.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Loeb's destruction of the UMU is one of the most stupid decisions in recent comic-dom. I have to admit tho i was shocked at a lot of the deaths and and carnage on display. The ones that made me gasp were The Wasp, Cyclops and Doom...

I find it difficult to see where they can go from here... i was hoping to see where they were going in Spidey with Mysterio and how the X-Men would have gone on with the TRUE death of Prof X

I know Spidey and Ultimates are continuing, and Ultimate Avengers is coming... just hope they dont completely reboot or retcon the series... the whole selling point on the brand was there was no coming back from Comic Book Death... well step forward Gwen Stacey and Beast!

I may stop reading now this first "chapter" is completed... not decided yet.
  • Options
    JAS84JAS84 Posts: 7,430
    Forum Member
    Cyclops dead? That just copied X Men 3.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    JAS84 wrote: »
    Cyclops dead? That just copied X Men 3.

Not the way they did it!
  • Options
    frostfrost Posts: 4,578
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought Ultimatm rocked.

The only complaint I really have is that the killing of Wolverine didnt seem right. I mean, the series Ultimate Wolverine Vs Hulk, had Wolverine surviving as just a head, and they said they put his head in a vacuum and he still survived. Given all of that, getting shot by both Ironman and Cyclops at the same time shouldnt kill him.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    frost wrote: »
    I thought Ultimatm rocked.

The only complaint I really have is that the killing of Wolverine didnt seem right. I mean, the series Ultimate Wolverine Vs Hulk, had Wolverine surviving as just a head, and they said they put his head in a vacuum and he still survived. Given all of that, getting shot by both Ironman and Cyclops at the same time shouldnt kill him.

To be honest, I doubt he's really dead.

In the regular 616 universe he was reduced to his Adamantium skeleton, and that didn't keep him down for long.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh I'm sure he's not dead, he's bound to be back soon enough.

It's just that the Ult Wolverine Vs Hulk came out quite close to this issue, and it was f resh in my mind and struck me as strange.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    i think that was one of the points about Ult Hulk Vs Wolverine, was that it showed us he can survive. The last panel in X-Men: Requiem of just Logans arm makes me think that could be how he can come back.... i think i read a while back he was going to be in Ultimate Avengers....
  • Options
    Forum Member
    To be honest, I doubt he's really dead.

In the regular 616 universe he was reduced to his Adamantium skeleton, and that didn't keep him down for long.
    Wasn't that in an alternate future, in the Days of Future Past storyline? I've seen that in the 90s X Men cartoon. And he stayed dead, until history was changed so that it never came to pass.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I know in the Days of Future Past cartoon Wolverines metal skeleton is in a stasis tube in Forge's lab, but again, thats based on 616 and not the Ultimate U
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wasn't that in an alternate future, in the Days of Future Past storyline? I've seen that in the 90s X Men cartoon. And he stayed dead, until history was changed so that it never came to pass.

Something like that did happen in Days of Future Past, but I think the incident being reffered to is in Wolverine's Civil War story arc tie in, Nitro blew up right by him, reducing Wolverine to his skeleton, and he still healed back quickly!

Actually, since then,I think there was a story to reduce his healing factor because that seemed a bit too far to stretch it, but I havent read that one.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Days of Future Past was written back in 1981, long, long before Wolverine became Marvel's most bankable and ubiquitous star.

Since then his power's have been upgraded to the point where he appears to be unkillable.

During Civil War he lost all of his skin and flesh in a fight with Nitro....

http://uk.comics.ign.com/articles/742/742054p1.html

...but he got better.

And when I was flicking through the big 'History of Wolverine' sort of book that's in shops now, there was something about a plot line where he made a deal with devil figure many years ago that meant he would always come back from death.

To be honest, it looked like a terrible bit of ret-conning.
  • Options
    SHAFTSHAFT Posts: 4,369
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wolverine was taking the 'Mutant Growth Hormone' during the Civil War story which basically meant that his powers for boosted for a short period of time.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I take it thats something akin to the Banshee drug that Colussus and a few other X-Men started taking just before the Ultimatum wave?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    During Civil War he lost all of his skin and flesh in a fight with Nitro....

http://uk.comics.ign.com/articles/742/742054p1.html

...but he got better.
    Thanks, wasn't aware of that one.:o