Free classic Uk comics in Guardian newspaper

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 107
Forum Member
For fans/collectors of classic Uk comics:
Starting next Saturday, 12th September, The Guardian newspaper will be giving away a reproduction of a classic British comic every day for a week. As there is no Sunday edition of the paper, The Observer will also be involved in the scheme on September 13th.

The classic reprints all come from the Egmont and D.C.Thomson stable of comics, and appear to be mostly 1980s editions. Kicking off with a copy of girls' comic Jackie next Saturday, followed by The Beano No.2000 (from 1980) on Sunday, the rest of the week will see copies of Roy of the Rovers, Bunty, Dandy, Tammy, and Whizzer and Chips presented with the paper.

http://lewstringer.blogspot.com/

Comments

• tingramretrotingramretro Posts: 10,974
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Excellent news! I don't normally buy newspapers anymore, but just this once...:)
  • JAS84JAS84 Posts: 7,430
    Forum Member
    Oh great, they would put Beano - no doubt the most sought after - in the Observer! That's gonna cost more than a modern Beano! :mad:

Link to the exact entry on Lew's blog: http://lewstringer.blogspot.com/2009/09/free-comics-in-guardian.html
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,015
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SO excited to read my 1975 copy of Jackie today!

I have discovered I am mostly Bs in the How Romantic Are You? quiz (I don't love lightly. My feelings go deep and are unfathomable... So true), that it's not a good idea to bleach your teeth with peroxide if they're a bit yellow according to Cathy and Claire and that Donny loves Spaghetti and tacos.

Excellent!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 107
    Forum Member
    AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGH!!!!

FORGOT!!

:(:(

Just discovered swear words I never knew.

MUST buy Observer tomorrow with the Beano 2000.

Forum Member
    Write to The Guardian, I'm sure you can buy back issues. Any paper also usually has contact details printed in the paper to use if the supplements (including these comics) are missing. I'd better come off soon and go pick up my copy of The Observer, lol.
    Forum Member
    The Beano #2000 from 1980 is rather splendid - can't believe it's been nearly 30 years:eek:. Comics were so much better in those days. Well done the Guardian/Observer for the memories and I'm especially looking forward to the Roy of the Rovers and Whizzer and Chips issues during the week.

:D
    Forum Member
    Roy's tomorrow. Make sure you don't forget! They erroneously put ©DC Thomson when advertising it though.

There were two mistakes, but they're both positive - it was stapled instead of glued, and they used the higher grade type of paper used in 1988-2008 instead of the newsprint which was originally used in 1980. LOLed at Minnie having a copy of The History of The Beano 28 years before such a book was actually published.
  • martinamerlotmartinamerlot Posts: 3,762
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Scrimmidge wrote: »
    SO excited to read my 1975 copy of Jackie today!

Argh! Missed it! :(

Must remember to buy when they include Tammy and Whizzer and Chips!
  • GulftasticGulftastic Posts: 127,380
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Roy Of The Rovers today, it's the issue where he got shot. The centre pages have celebrity messages to Roy, including Morecambe and Wise!

Mighty Mouse and The Hard Man were my favourites, but I prefered Tiger back in the day.
    Forum Member
    That's ironic, because Roy was Tiger's original cover star before he spun off into his own title.
    Forum Member
    Loved the Roy of the Rovers issue but a little disappointed they didn't go further back into the comics history especially reprinting an issue featuring my all time favourite story - the one about the kid playing Subbuteo - can't remember the name :rolleyes:

Gave Bunty a miss today but will pick up the Dandy tomorrow.
  • ScoundreldaysScoundreldays Posts: 1,373
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I bought Bunty today:D Look forward to reading it later, looking forward to The Dandy tomorrow.:)
    Forum Member
    Would've skipped Bunty but my mum decided to get it as she read it as a young girl. Will pick up The Dandy tomorrow. Kinda ironic that they put Dandy in on the day the latest Beano comes out!
  • Gutted GirlGutted Girl Posts: 3,285
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As that Bunty Summer Special came out when I was seven I probably read it first time around.

Interesting to see all these 16 year old girls with jobs in the stories and the class war in full flow.
  • ironjadeironjade Posts: 10,010
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Seems our parents were right all along. These are pretty bad.:)
    Forum Member
    Hmm, you're not the only one with those sentiments - a letter published in today's Guardian:

"For over 30 years I have carried the emotional scars of a censored childhood.
    My mother refused to let us read Bunty on the grounds that it was trash, so thanks for putting me out of my misery. She was right"
  • ironjadeironjade Posts: 10,010
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If they were giving away TV21 then I'd be impressed.
  • GulftasticGulftastic Posts: 127,380
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I had completely forgotten about 'The Jocks and The Geordies' until reading the free copy of The Dandy in today's.

I didn't understand back then that they were meant to be scottish and Newcastle lads. I had no idea what a geordie was.

Even today, I'm fascinated by the pencil thin calves of a couple of the Geordies.
    Forum Member
    ironjade wrote: »
    If they were giving away TV21 then I'd be impressed.
    The reason it wasn't included is because neither Egmont or DC Thomson own the rights. And I have more bad news, there was supposed to be a Century 21 annual this year, but it got cancelled.
    Forum Member
    Wasn't there a similiar comic to the excellent TV21 ? - from memory think it was called Countdown or something. Think it had Dr Who and UFO strips in it but not sure.

Got the Dandy today. Excellent though I was never a huge fan of it. Friday is the big day for me - Whizzer and Chips!!!

:cool: Can't wait.

It's been fun checking these out but I wish they'd selected issues that were originally published on the main days of the year - Christmas, New Year, Easter and Bonfire Night. Now those would really have been collectors items.

Forum Member
    Eh? They did pick collectors items, Jackie was a Valentine's issue, Beano was issue 2000, Roy of the Rovers has one of the most famous storylines in it's history, Bunty was a summer special, Dandy was the last Korky the Cat cover, today's Tammy is issue 1. Don't know what's so special about Whizzer and Chips though.

You remember right about Countdown, it later renamed to TV Action.
    Forum Member
    Didn't know about why they chose those various issues - apart from the Beano 2000 - and didn't get the newspapers with the girls comics in so thanks for the info and yes, definitely good reasons to be collectables as you point out.

If I see a pile of old comics I always look for the Christmas, New Years first. It was always a tradition in my house to buy every comic goiing on the run up to Xmas and these would be wrapped up like a present to be opened on the big day. Talking the early 60's here mind :D

Whizzer and Chips? It was great! I loved it though not as much as Cor! That was a great comic imho. Gus the Gorilla :D

Looking forward to tomorrow.

• Gutted GirlGutted Girl Posts: 3,285
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That Tammy was great and historic for another reason. The date was about a week before decimalisation and it was priced in both old and new currency.

It was also, as far as I recall, the first girl's comic to do the major struggling through adversary in a big way.

It's been a fun week.
    Forum Member
    Whizzer and Chips turned out to be two issues before the merger with Krazy in 1978.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 731
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    JAS84 wrote: »
    Whizzer and Chips turned out to be two issues before the merger with Krazy in 1978.

Aaah! KRAZY! My absolute favorite comic. I remember being gutted when they "merged" it with Whizzer and Chips. I remember the newsagent who reserved Krazy for me, just started reserving W+C instead, so i moved onto that, only for the Krazy strips, like "The Krazy Gang".

Funny how the comics merged all the time, like a knockout competition . I loved Monster Fun , which merged with Buster. Krazy merged with W+C. Cheeky Weekly merged with Whoopee. I think then "in the semi-final" , W+C merged with Whoopee. until there was only Buster and Whoopee left from that stable. (I am not counting Dandy and Buster and the girly or football ones). Am I remembering this right?
    Also, the suspicious "new" comics, like the brilliant "School Fun" which only lasted about six months before merging, and so seemed to only exist as a way of trying out new material for the big names.