Options

Echostar to launch Freesat+ PVR with Slingshot

Night WatchmanNight Watchman Posts: 1,820
Forum Member
✭✭✭
According to 'What Satellite' yesterday - see this link:

http://wotsat.techradar.com/news/freesat-pvr-slingbox-built-promised-echostar-01-07-10

:cool: :cool: :cool:

Comments

• Options
    BadvokBadvok Posts: 972
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sounds good !
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 486
    Forum Member
    One can use Slingbox at the moment with a Humax DTR, but the icing on the cake will be this feature combined within one receiver. Some on other sites have raised the issue of receiving UK transmissions outside the UK, but large areas of Europe even with the lower powered Astra 2D Sat can do this at the moment any way. Will certainly go for it on release.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 824
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Excellent, someone willing to take advantage of the fact that these PVRs are actually little servers, hopefully this will push Humax to better things also.

Regarding the HDR - the fact that we are currently stuck with USB of all things to transfer video off a linux server which has a perfectly good network port is shameful, really shameful ... and don't tell me its CPU capacity - we used to use old pentiums as network firewalls in one company I worked for, diddly squat power and memory but running linux they were perfectly happy with the task.
  • Options
    Gary GlimmerGary Glimmer Posts: 211
    Forum Member
    i'm not up with this slingbox stuff but does it let you watch your recordings from any net connection around the world? is that it?

if so, i dont get it.. why would i want to watch something on a crappy monitor when i can watch it on my massive tv at home? i'm not that desperate to see anything that badly.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i'm not up with this slingbox stuff but does it let you watch your recordings from any net connection around the world? is that it?

if so, i dont get it.. why would i want to watch something on a crappy monitor when i can watch it on my massive tv at home? i'm not that desperate to see anything that badly.

Several reasons why this is a good seller :
    - People who travel a lot
    - People on holiday (last time we went to France/Spain there was nothing on tv we could watch)
    - Watch recording in another room whilst other member of family hogging tv
    - You have a boring job with plenty of time on your hands at work

Plus if it offers the ability to set recording timers remotely that alone will be a good selling point.

In short a pretty big market.
  • Options
    REPASSACREPASSAC Posts: 2,017
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Several reasons why this is a good seller :
    - People who travel a lot
    - People on holiday (last time we went to France/Spain there was nothing on tv we could watch)
    - Watch recording in another room whilst other member of family hogging tv
    - You have a boring job with plenty of time on your hands at work

Plus if it offers the ability to set recording timers remotely that alone will be a good selling point.

In short a pretty big market.

Do you have a cable connection? - Those of us on ADSL are unlikly to be impressed as we are currently very limited on our home upload speed. i get 8mbs down and just under 1 up and I think I am doing well.
  • Options
    jzeejzee Posts: 25,498
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    REPASSAC wrote: »
    Do you have a cable connection? - Those of us on ADSL are unlikly to be impressed as we are currently very limited on our home upload speed. i get 8mbs down and just under 1 up and I think I am doing well.
    You can get an SDSL line from BT, only £170/month (ex VAT):eek:!!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,741
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Another thing to consider is the SlingCatcher, although I read reports somewhere that it has been wihtdrawn. This is essentially a set top box connected to your TV that receives the output from a Slingbox.

The Sling technology is network streaming, or effectively IPTV. The SlingCatcher is an adaptor that turns your TV into an IPTV. So, using this, you could stream anything to any TV around the house.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I believe many people use slingbox today with ADSL and it works ok, but reduces the quality yes depending on the bandwidth required, see here :

http://blogs.smh.com.au/digital-life/gadgetsonthego/2009/07/10/tvtogoslingb.html

"While it approached DVD quality when streaming over my home network, it also did a very good job of streaming Top Gear from my TiVo at 300 Kbps per second - out over my DSL connection and then down to a notebook connected to the Vodafone mobile broadband network. Obviously the picture wasn't nearly as sharp as over the local network, coming in at 320x240 QVGA, but it was still very watchable for online video with no jitter in the audio or video."

Anyone got firsthand slingbox experience on adsl ?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    coming in at 320x240 QVGA, but it was still very watchable for online video with no jitter in the audio or video."
    On a low res laptop or TV maybe 1920 x 1080 forget it.
  • Options
    2Bdecided2Bdecided Posts: 4,416
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You are. That would easily let you stream iPlayer-like quality out of your house (iPlayer starts at ~500kbps IIRC).

Cheers,
    David.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    2Bdecided wrote: »
    You are. That would easily let you stream iPlayer-like quality out of your house (iPlayer starts at ~500kbps IIRC).
    Decent quality SD iplayer (832 x 468) is 1.4Mbps.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jzee wrote: »

If you want to stream your video to a second home then I fully expect the quality is poor with adsl, if its a choice of watching decent programming in QVGA or Italian national TV say, then QVGA, very nice thanks.
  • Options
    BadvokBadvok Posts: 972
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    On a low res laptop or TV maybe 1920 x 1080 forget it.
    That's funny, I don't tend to carry a Full HD TV around in my pocket for viewing when I'm out and about - do you?
    The main intent (AFAIK) of Sling Media is to give access to your recorder functions and your recordings primarily from mobile devices, e.g. smart-phones.
  • Options
    2Bdecided2Bdecided Posts: 4,416
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That's certainly one option. In fact it's the only non-HD option that's greater than 1Mbps...

http://beebhack.wikia.com/wiki/IPlayer_TV

..and arguably that resolution and bitrate is potentially better than most SD broadcasts!

Cheers,
    David.