Athletics 2013

grassmarketgrassmarket Posts: 33,010
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Off to an early start for this thread - which I'm sure won't do as well as the last one.

Our first event is this weekend - Saturday 5th Jan the International Cross Country event at Edinburgh, live on the BBC at 13:00

After that, the Glasgow indoor meeting on Saturday 26th Jan, UK Indoor trials at Sheffield 9-10 February and the Birmingham Grand Prix, 16 February

Looking ahead, apart from the Diamond League and all the other events we have:

European Indoor Athletics Champs from Gothenburg 1-3 March

European Team Championships from Gateshead 22-23 June, well worth going to see live.

World champs from Moscow, 10-18 August

Comments

• Tannhauser GateTannhauser Gate Posts: 17,739
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Cheers for the heads up grassmarket. My views on indoor athletics are well known, but I'm starving for some track and field right now so will pencil all the dates in my diary. Let's get prepared for an anti-climatic season with few if any world records though, as the burn-out is normally severe after Olympic year.

Who do you think the breakthrough British athlete will be? I desperately want Stephanie Twell to have an injury free season....
  • batdude_uk1batdude_uk1 Posts: 78,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I tell you who I was impressed with at the Olympics, and am looking foward to seeing how she does, and it is Katarina Johnson-Thompson, although she faded after a few events, she still impressed me with how well she did at such a young age.
  • Tannhauser GateTannhauser Gate Posts: 17,739
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I tell you who I was impressed with at the Olympics, and am looking foward to seeing how she does, and it is Katarina Johnson-Thompson, although she faded after a few events, she still impressed me with how well she did at such a young age.

Good shout. She certainly put Louise Hazel in the shade. Think that she'll be one to watch for Rio though, not expecting too much from her this year.

Our discus guy (forget his name now :o) should come on a storm though.
  • Andy-BAndy-B Posts: 6,800
    Forum Member
    Holly Bleasdale! Now with new coach.
  • batdude_uk1batdude_uk1 Posts: 78,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Good shout. She certainly put Louise Hazel in the shade. Think that she'll be one to watch for Rio though, not expecting too much from her this year.

I quite like following people (not in a stalkish kind of way) to track their progress over an Olympic cycle, and I think she would be an ideal one to track, as she looks like she has soo much potential.
  • grassmarketgrassmarket Posts: 33,010
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm wondering what Robbie Grabarz will do - he could just be a one-season wonder, or make the transition to world class. I hope Dai Greene will react well to his (comparative) disappointment - it now looks like he won his WC Gold in a weak year, so he'll have to really dig in this winter. Anthony Osagie is another one who knows he's going to be in a tough event.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Lawrence Okoro. He has a lot of stuff on his mind though with starting a degree and attention from rugby.
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    Totally agree. Hazel was going on chat shows and panel shows before the games and came across to me as a kind of ladette.
    Maybe i'm being unfairly harsh as everyone has different personalities - but then during the event we got to know about KJT. Personally i'd never heard of her before. A young, unknown to many? althete who keeps her head down and performs out of her skin to become the second Brit in the field behind the amazing Jess.

Jess did the chat & panel shows but always came across as humble and modest. Most of the time she reverted into standard interview mode.

(It does look like i'm being unfairly harsh on Hazel :D:o)
  • Tiger RoseTiger Rose Posts: 11,718
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm wondering what Robbie Grabarz will do - he could just be a one-season wonder, or make the transition to world class. I hope Dai Greene will react well to his (comparative) disappointment - it now looks like he won his WC Gold in a weak year, so he'll have to really dig in this winter. Anthony Osagie is another one who knows he's going to be in a tough event.

I think Robbie's the real deal - he was consistent all year which is a good sign rather than a one off big jump.

I can see Dai doing well again this year - he didn't look as strong in the last 100m as he normally does this yearwhich may have been a result of his missed training when he was injured last year.
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/athletics/20658509
    Steve Cram picks the British athletes to watch in 2013
    Play mediaBBC Sport athletics commentator Steve Cram identifies the young British athletes to watch out for in 2013.

The five on show are discus thrower Lawrence Okoye, sprinter Adam Gemili, 400m hurdler Jack Green, middle distance runner Jessica Judd and heptathlete Katarina Johnson-Thompson.

This year's World Championships will be held in Moscow, beginning on 10 August 2013, with live coverage across the BBC.

Watch exclusive behind-the-scenes videos of the BBC's Olympic coverage, including Steve Cram's guide to getting your facts right, on the BBC College of Production's website.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Looks like the Diamond League meeting in London could be held at the Olympic Stadium this year.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-21046012
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bump - the first indoor meet of the British season is in Glasgow on Saturday, 13:30-16:30 on BBC1. It's a team event - GBR v Russia v USA v The Commonwealth, so should be a decent standard.
  • gslam2gslam2 Posts: 1,503
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yep - the London Grand Prix will be held at the Olympic Stadium rather than Crystal Palace this year

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/athletics/21181650

Anyone with tickets for Crystal Palace will get a refund and first chance to buy tickets for the Stadium
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Great news about the London Diamond League meeting - will definitely try & get tickets for that.
  • Jo09Jo09 Posts: 3,852
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When will tickets be available to buy? Hoping that they won't use the Olympic model for selling tickets.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    More indoor athletics this weekend: Eurosport has the Karlsruhe indoor meet, Saturday 19:00
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This week's indoor athletics comes from Dusseldorf, live on Eurosport HD Friday 18:00. It's also the UK trials, but no TV coverage. It looks like there might be clips posted on the web, don't know if there will be live coverage.

http://www.britishathletics.org.uk/british-athletics-series/british-athletics-european-trials-and-uk-championships/
  • apaulapaul Posts: 9,846
    Forum Member
    Expect to see Bolt et al at the London Diamond meeting now they can get paid tax free.
  • AdsAds Posts: 37,037
    Forum Member
    Apparently there has has been a lot of registration for the pre sales for the Olympic stadium events, so I would advise registering soon if you want to go. I am tempted after two great nights at the stadium during the Olympics. Hopefully they can get the big names to make it a great event.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    apaul wrote: »
    Expect to see Bolt et al at the London Diamond meeting now they can get paid tax free.

Not sure that's wholly accurate - the contentious tax issue isn't related to appearance/prize money - they are UK earnings so I am sure everyone accepts that you pay your fair share on that. The issue is the UK taxman taking a slice of his global sponsorship income on top.

Will be great if Bolt does run at the London meeting though.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Here is the link to register for tickets if you haven't done so

http://www.loveathletics.uka.org.uk/

Seems that the prices will be similar to what they would have been at Crystal Palace - ranging from £10 to £41
  • MandarkMandark Posts: 47,929
    Forum Member
    Bolt and Blake had run outs in the 400m this weekend. Both did ok. http://m.guardian.co.uk/sport/2013/feb/10/usain-bolt-beaten-jamaica
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ESPN America has been showing highlights of the New York indoor meet this weekend - next showing is 03:00 this morning if you want to tape it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Looking at results/reports of the National champs this weekend, looks like the highlights were Holly Bleasdale's world lead of 5.77 & Robbie Grabarz apparantly went close at 2 attempts at 2.39 which would have been a British record.

Looking forward to the Indoor Grand Prix from Birmingham this weekend.