Options

Sam only supporting Beyonce for one night

Stuart1000Stuart1000 Posts: 1,275
Forum Member
✭✭✭
It's been confirmed that Sam will only support Beyonce for one night of her UK tour. She'll be the support act on 24th February 2014.

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/music/s103/the-x-factor/news/a539342/x-factor-winner-sam-baileys-tour-date-with-beyonce-announced.html

This is a little disappointing. It's a shame that the prize was billed as 'supporting Beyonce on her UK tour' when, in reality, it's only one show. It's also sad for the fans who bought tickets to the Beyonce shows in the hope of seeing Sam. Of course, they've only announced this now that the tour is sold out.

(for the record, I do have tickets for the Glasgow show but I had these before the X Factor prize was even announced)

Comments

• Options
    spkxspkx Posts: 14,870
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's because it clashes with the X Factor tour almost completely
  • Options
    cas1977cas1977 Posts: 6,399
    Forum Member
    I'm glad that Sam Bailey is only doing the one show with Beyonce. Somehow I can't see them getting on that well.......
    And also, the possibility that people have bought Beyonce tickets only to see Sam Bailey is a bit illogical.

I doubt there's any fear of that. People will buy tickets to see Beyonce the star, not Sam Bailey, the amateur.
  • Options
    earldbestearldbest Posts: 3,894
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stuart1000 wrote: »
    It's been confirmed that Sam will only support Beyonce for one night of her UK tour. She'll be the support act on 24th February 2014.

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/music/s103/the-x-factor/news/a539342/x-factor-winner-sam-baileys-tour-date-with-beyonce-announced.html

This is a little disappointing. It's a shame that the prize was billed as 'supporting Beyonce on her UK tour' when, in reality, it's only one show. It's also sad for the fans who bought tickets to the Beyonce shows in the hope of seeing Sam. Of course, they've only announced this now that the tour is sold out.

(for the record, I do have tickets for the Glasgow show but I had these before the X Factor prize was even announced)

Why would anyone do that? Queen Bey tickets are bloody expensive iirc :confused::D
  • Options
    mimik1ukmimik1uk Posts: 46,701
    Forum Member
    It's also sad for the fans who bought tickets to the Beyonce shows in the hope of seeing Sam. Of course, they've only announced this now that the tour is sold out.

people were going to buy tickets for beyonce in the hope of seeing sam bailey ? :confused:
  • Options
    Stuart1000Stuart1000 Posts: 1,275
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I meant as in people have bought the expensive tickets thinking "Oh, I'll see Beyonce and Sam Bailey, that's probably worth the money then if I get to see both of them". I've bought tickets to gigs in the past because the support act has been pretty strong and it justifies the high ticket price.

Not to mention, people might have bought Beyonce tickets instead of X Factor Tour tickets thinking they'll see Sam at the Beyonce gig anyway.
  • Options
    Master OzzyMaster Ozzy Posts: 18,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I always assumed it was one night. Why on earth would Beyonce allow Sam bailey to support her for more than that?! Beyonce is a huge, huge star and their music isn't exactly similar. It's a nice prize in my opinion...a night supporting one of the biggest stars in the world. As for people buying tickets to Beyonce on the premis that Sam would be there...surely not?! People buy tickets to see Beyonce!!
  • Options
    noelw1969noelw1969 Posts: 936
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You also have to realize that supporting Beyonce is not part of what SyCo puts on the prize list and Sam will be expected to put the contract first. She's going to have a fair bit of work to do even without the Beyonce thing.
  • Options
    twingletwingle Posts: 19,322
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dermot said right away after the VT of Bev that it would be only one night so don't know why posters thought it was a whole tour
  • Options
    David_MorganDavid_Morgan Posts: 1,513
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cas1977 wrote: »

I doubt there's any fear of that. People will buy tickets to see Beyonce the star, not Sam Bailey, the amateur.

But Bouncy is a bit rubbish though. I couldn't even be bothered going to see her at Glastonbury a couple of years ago, when it was, essentially, free.
  • Options
    TreewatcherTreewatcher Posts: 1,996
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It was definitely billed as supporting for one night as part of the British tour and I do believe this was made clear to the winner at the time.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    cas1977 wrote: »
    I'm glad that Sam Bailey is only doing the one show with Beyonce. Somehow I can't see them getting on that well.......
    And also, the possibility that people have bought Beyonce tickets only to see Sam Bailey is a bit illogical.

I have no idea whether you have ever been to a gig or if you have, how many.

I have been to dozens and you would be amazed at how many people buy tickets for a Metallica gig only so that they can see the support act.

A lot of acts will never have their own headlining tour and quite often, buying tickets in this manner is the only way to see them live.
  • Options
    DinosaurusDinosaurus Posts: 361
    Forum Member
    I don't think people only bought Beyonce tickets to watch Sam Bailey.
  • Options
    StratusSphereStratusSphere Posts: 2,813
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    noelw1969 wrote: »

I have been to dozens and you would be amazed at how many people buy tickets for a Metallica gig only so that they can see the support act.

A lot of acts will never have their own headlining tour and quite often, buying tickets in this manner is the only way to see them live.

While this may be true, Beyonce is at the pinnacle of her career right now, everyone in the world knows who she is, and she tours rarely, especially in the UK.

Whereas Sam Bailey is a reality TV show contestant who's only been on the radar if at all for three or four months. Literally. She wasnt a singer before, was she? She's not going to have had a small local fanbase following her from her humble beginnings; she was a prison officer before this.

Its not like she's a small local band who's worked her way up the industry and can now play with a big star and people will buy tickets to celebrate this success. Add to that Beyonce tickets are prohibitively expensive for a casual fan; its extremely unlikely that people have bought tickets for Beyonce - which sold out very quickly, by the way - just in order to see Sam Bailey's support slot.

Its not really comparing like with like.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    While this may be true, Beyonce is at the pinnacle of her career right now, everyone in the world knows who she is, and she tours rarely, especially in the UK.

Whereas Sam Bailey is a reality TV show contestant who's only been on the radar if at all for three or four months. Literally. She wasnt a singer before, was she? She's not going to have had a small local fanbase following her from her humble beginnings; she was a prison officer before this.

Its not like she's a small local band who's worked her way up the industry and can now play with a big star and people will buy tickets to celebrate this success. Add to that Beyonce tickets are prohibitively expensive for a casual fan; its extremely unlikely that people have bought tickets for Beyonce - which sold out very quickly, by the way - just in order to see Sam Bailey's support slot.

Its not really comparing like with like.

I disagree.

Metallica have been at the top of the tree for the last 25 years. I saw them at Wembley Stadium in 2007. There were three support acts and 90,000 people in the crowd. I know for a fact that others were there to see Mastodon and Bullet For My Valentine and not Metallica. That was a 50 quid ticket and a whole days entertainment only to leave and miss the headline act.

Its not a case of comparing like with like but a case of who you want to see and more importantly, WHEN you can see them. People will take all opportunities possible when there is a chance that the opportunities don't come round too often. At this point Sam B is little known and for those who do want to see her, opportunities might be few and far between.
  • Options
    rivercity_rulesrivercity_rules Posts: 24,270
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you listen to them speak at the weekend, I was under the impression it was a one night only prize.

They repeatedly stated at "one of her shows"

She is supporting her on the tour, just one of the shows on the tour - not all of them.

The only people duped are those who choose not to listen properly.
  • Options
    ariella52ariella52 Posts: 7,519
    Forum Member
    I disagree.

Metallica have been at the top of the tree for the last 25 years. I saw them at Wembley Stadium in 2007. There were three support acts and 90,000 people in the crowd. I know for a fact that others were there to see Mastodon and Bullet For My Valentine and not Metallica. That was a 50 quid ticket and a whole days entertainment only to leave and miss the headline act.

Its not a case of comparing like with like but a case of who you want to see and more importantly, WHEN you can see them. People will take all opportunities possible when there is a chance that the opportunities don't come round too often. At this point Sam B is little known and for those who do want to see her, opportunities might be few and far between.

Except on the X Factor Tour.
  • Options
    mimik1ukmimik1uk Posts: 46,701
    Forum Member
    nobody was duped , most of the tickets were sold afaik before the announcement was even made

I doubt anyone was buying tickets thinking "I really hope they decide to have the x factor winner as the support act" when it had never even been mentioned as a possibility previously

if anything the only people who have been duped are the ones going to the Birmingham concert who will now have to put up with a one dimensional karaoke singer as the support act
  • Options
    puppetangelpuppetangel Posts: 2,892
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Lol that would not have happened since the weekend.
  • Options
    puppetangelpuppetangel Posts: 2,892
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Except Sam Bailey will be on the X factor tour and there are loads of dates for that and more cheaper.

I do get your point though and have seen people there for the support act but not that many that it would make a huge difference, its quite expensive for a 30 min set.
  • Options
    mariannermarianner Posts: 11,043
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thats not exactly thrilling,is it? I thought it would be the whole leg.
  • Options
    David_MorganDavid_Morgan Posts: 1,513
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I disagree.

I'd rather watch Mastodon than Metallica - though maybe not in 07 as it took until their fourth album for them to find their niche. £50 is not that much over the odds for a ticket to a second-tier band so it would be worth a punt. I'd still stay for Metallica though; even if I did have to drink lots of coffee first.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 947
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dinosaurus wrote: »
    I don't think people only bought Beyonce tickets to watch Sam Bailey.

I think it's ever so slightly delusional to think people bought expensive tickets to Beyonce's tour to see the X Factor winner do a couple of covers. :o
  • Options
    misslibertinemisslibertine Posts: 14,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dermot did make this point after the VT was shown...
  • Options
    tony321tony321 Posts: 10,594
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'd imagine she will be singing a couple of covers to an empty arena as people are either in the bar or haven't arrived yet.
  • Options
    Sara WebbSara Webb Posts: 7,885
    Forum Member
    It was definitely billed as supporting for one night as part of the British tour and I do believe this was made clear to the winner at the time.

Yup. Some people don't listen when the blatantly obvious is being said. I remember Dermot stating clearly that it was one night.

It will also be a good excuse for Sam to sing that bloody One Night Only song, I suppose.