Options

Incapacitated female left off at bus stop by police

NRGNRG Posts: 3,149
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Very noble of the officers some might say, however the woman was lifted to the side of the road by the officers and is seen lying in the bus lane on John Street in the foetal position as the officers appear to drive off, the female very nearly gets run over by a bus.

The video was filmed by members of the public from across the street and posted on social media networks, where it has sparked outrage.

The incident is understood to have happened on Monday (Saint Patrick's Day).

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-foyle-west-26642097

Comments

• Options
    Pisces CloudPisces Cloud Posts: 30,239
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What the hell was that all about. :confused:
  • Options
    dee123dee123 Posts: 46,274
    Forum Member
    What the hell was that all about. :confused:

:confused: Yes. What was that about.

I did say "bloody hell" quite loud and scared the cat when the bus came into view.

As to what occurred, i'm sure the couple of resident police apologists around here will explain what happened....
  • Options
    JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The problem with videos like this is that there's absolutely ZERO context so while on the face of it, it does indeed look like rather disgraceful behaviour, you can't really pass judgement with no other information.
  • Options
    RobinOfLoxleyRobinOfLoxley Posts: 27,040
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The problem with videos like this is that there's absolutely ZERO context so while on the face of it, it does indeed look like rather disgraceful behaviour, you can't really pass judgement with no other information.

C'mon Jason, you don't dump someone in the road.
    Aside from the danger of being run over, what if she passed out and choked on her own vomit?

And they could have left a "Police Aware" sticker on her.
  • Options
    Si_CreweSi_Crewe Posts: 40,202
    Forum Member
    Shocking really.

At the very least, I can't, for the life of me, understand the mentality that'd allow somebody to go to the effort of moving her out of the road but then dump her in the bus lane rather than carrying her the extra 3ft and sitting her down on the pavement with her back against the wall.

Beyond that, does it not occur to these rock-apes that a person who's that incapable, for whatever reason, is likely to be a danger to themselves or others if ignored?

Utterly baffling.
  • Options
    skiprunnerskiprunner Posts: 451
    Forum Member
    dee123 wrote: »

I did say "bloody hell" quite loud and scared the cat when the bus came into view.

As to what occurred, i'm sure the couple of resident police apologists around here will explain what happened....
    Ok....I'm usually one of the he first to stick up for anti police posts (being a retired cop and wife of serving cop) but even I think this is disgusting!

Why not put her onto the pavement??
  • Options
    Raquelos.Raquelos. Posts: 7,734
    Forum Member
    Aside from the danger of being run over, what if she passed out and choked on her own vomit?

BIB made me giggle:D

It does seem like a fairly inadequate response from the policemen involved though.
  • Options
    JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

No, I do agree you don't just dump someone there in that state - male or female. The reasons for doing so would have had to have been very compelling, but i don't want to get in to the usual speculate-a-palooza that comes about with short context-free clips like this.
  • Options
    Trsvis_BickleTrsvis_Bickle Posts: 9,202
    Forum Member
    dee123 wrote: »

Well, I'm usually one to defend the police against the hopelessly biased and frequently stupid attacks on them that are made on this forum but I'm struggling to see how any sort of 'context' can excuse these guys' actions.

What's particularly baffling is why they left her in the bus lane, of all places. If they'd left her on the footpath, I could see some kind of justification - maybe they'd just got an urgent call and that took priority over taking care of some drunk - but this looks indefensible, frankly.
  • Options
    sodavlacsodavlac Posts: 10,607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    She doesn't appear to have been nearly run over by the bus at all. Still, that wasn't exactly a smart or a good thing for the police officers involved to be doing.
  • Options
    Deep PurpleDeep Purple Posts: 63,255
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Of course they should have dealt with her properly, but how long had she been there, and how many other people passed by?

The person filming was unlikely to have just happened upon this with a camera at that exact moment.

Cars and people are passing as we watch, so we can assume plenty did before they arrived.

I've been called to such people before, and no one has tried to help, because as a rule people don't.

None of this is an excuse for the Officers not ensuring she was safe, and dealing properly once they were there.
  • Options
    JB3JB3 Posts: 9,308
    Forum Member
    Maybe the officers weren't very bright ones.

At least ones that have little or no imagination.
  • Options
    Tony TigerTony Tiger Posts: 2,254
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Of course they should have dealt with her properly, but how long had she been there, and how many other people passed by?

The person filming was unlikely to have just happened upon this with a camera at that exact moment.

Cars and people are passing as we watch, so we can assume plenty did before they arrived.

I've been called to such people before, and no one has tried to help, because as a rule people don't.

None of this is an excuse for the Officers not ensuring she was safe, and dealing properly once they were there.
    Why bring it all up then, obfuscation?
  • Options
    exlordlucanexlordlucan Posts: 35,375
    Forum Member
    It doesn't look good but all the same I'll wait until more details come to light from the investigation before making a judgement.
  • Options
    flagpoleflagpole Posts: 44,641
    Forum Member
    we really don't know what happened.

she may have been putting it on, 10 seconds earlier she may have been up and fighting.

it is not good but it may not be as bad as it seems.
  • Options
    LakieLadyLakieLady Posts: 19,723
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

And what if she hadn't actually been drunk, but had had a head injury or been on the brink of hypoglycaemia, both of which can easily be mistaken for having over-refreshed oneself?

Absolutely shocking. They're supposed to be there to keep the public safe ffs. they should have taken her in to sleep it off, and possibly charged her for being drunk and disorderly.
  • Options
    flagpoleflagpole Posts: 44,641
    Forum Member
    LakieLady wrote: »
    they should have taken her in to sleep it off, and possibly charged her for being drunk and disorderly.
    can i just clarify.

your position is that, on st patrick's day, the police service of northern ireland, should detain and charge everyone who is drunk? :confused:
  • Options
    Philip WalesPhilip Wales Posts: 6,373
    Forum Member
    If the Police moved her better not hope she doesn't get a parking ticket.

But it does say something about todays society where you see someone in trouble, your first thought is FB or Twitter and not actually helping the person.
  • Options
    JB3JB3 Posts: 9,308
    Forum Member
    flagpole wrote: »
    can i just clarify.

your position is that, on st patrick's day, the police service of northern ireland, should detain and charge everyone who is drunk? :confused:
    Don't be obtuse, they can detain people who are a danger to themselves and/or others, and they frequently do.
  • Options
    SomnerSomner Posts: 9,412
    Forum Member
    I can't think of any logically explanation as to why they felt it sufficient to just move her a few yards and still leave her in the road. She needed an ambulance, and they needed to wait with her for one. Regardless of what else is going on, she becomes the primary concern because her life is quite clearly at risk.
  • Options
    Deep PurpleDeep Purple Posts: 63,255
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tony Tiger wrote: »
    Why bring it all up then, obfuscation?

Because people are so outraged, yet many more people would have passed her and done nothing, which is not uncommon behaviour. "I don't want to get involved" is a common attitude. I would ask why none of them helped her either.

Rather than rush to her aid, someone decides to film it, and put it on Youtube.

She wasn't unconscious, because she was kicking her legs about when they moved her, and tried to sit up.

They should have ensured her safety, but we don't know what the full story is. It looks drink related, which is a common sight these days, and most people cross the road to avoid such people.
  • Options
    LaceyLouelle3LaceyLouelle3 Posts: 9,682
    Forum Member
    There's no justification for doing that at all. They may as well have just opened the door and shoved her out as they drove past :confused:
  • Options
    Si_CreweSi_Crewe Posts: 40,202
    Forum Member
    Because people are so outraged, yet many more people would have passed her and done nothing, which is not uncommon behaviour. "I don't want to get involved" is a common attitude. I would ask why none of them helped her either.

Course, a lot of members of the public won't feel that they have the authority or the skills to intervene whereas the police have both and it's a job they're paid to do.
  • Options
    DinkyDoobieDinkyDoobie Posts: 17,786
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They probably saw someone in a car and wanted to check they had a licence for apparently no reason :blush:
  • Options
    LakieLadyLakieLady Posts: 19,723
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    flagpole wrote: »
    can i just clarify.

Absolutely not. But they should not leave someone who is so drunk that they are vulnerable lying in the road. They have a duty of care.