blueisthecolourblueisthecolour Posts: 20,127
Forum Member
✭✭✭
An international review of smoking bans found:

10% reduction in premature births

10% reduction in severe childhood asthma attacks

5% decline in children being born very small for their age

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-26770009

If this is true surely it ends any sensible debate about the merits of the ban?

Comments

• Options
    flagpoleflagpole Posts: 44,641
    Forum Member

what would have been the effects of any of the alternatives?

if your position is the smoking ban in pubs has reduced smoking related illnesses then i guess you would see that as a victory. but it was somewhat inevitable.

if we banned smoking completely, banned alcohol, banned fatty foods, and made exercise compulsory then a year or two later you would be able to post some figures to the effect of the improved health. and if that were the criteria, declare your policy a success and say the figures have ended any sensible debate over your policy.

your criteria for ending debate and declaring victory were inevitable, and not contested at the time.
  • Options
    Clarisse76Clarisse76 Posts: 5,566
    Forum Member

If we made swimming illegal we would see a reduction in the number of people drowning. Doesn't make it the correct thing to do. And the figures you quote have not altered my view that the implementation of the smoking ban was done in a ridiculously OTT and needlessly draconian manner. But hey, it was the Labour Party so control freakery was to be expected.
  • Options
    smudges dadsmudges dad Posts: 36,989
    Forum Member
    Clarisse76 wrote: »
    If we made swimming illegal we would see a reduction in the number of people drowning. Doesn't make it the correct thing to do. And the figures you quote have not altered my view that the implementation of the smoking ban was done in a ridiculously OTT and needlessly draconian manner. But hey, it was the Labour Party so control freakery was to be expected.

And yet the Conservatives haven't overturned it (using Tory logic about anyone who complains about policies 79-07)
  • Options
    ResonanceResonance Posts: 16,644
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We really need to see if there's been similar declines in countries without bans.

For example there could be a 10% reduction in premature births every year (on average) in countries without smoking bans. So saying there's been a 10% reduction in premature births a year after smoking bans and there's been a 10% reduction in premature births a year without a smoking ban could both be true.

Basically there's no control group in the study. Or at least if there is they aren't mentioning it for whatever reason.
  • Options
    Tal'shiarTal'shiar Posts: 2,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

10 people are all told for their entire lives to listen to Eric Clapton once a day. 3 get cancer of some form. Listening to Eric Clapton has links to increasing the chances of developing cancer.
  • Options
    AbewestAbewest Posts: 3,017
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Did these women only smoke in pubs?

So asthma is now being so well controlled that the severity of attacks is on the decrease. A good thing. But only to be expected as medicine progresses.

In 20 years this figure will probably have again declined. It's education wot does it, not banning things you don't agree with.

No it doesn't. Banning is rarely a way forward. It's the lazy way. Education is the key.
  • Options
    Turnbull2000Turnbull2000 Posts: 7,588
    Forum Member
    I always take these 'reports' with a big pinch of salt. More often or not, the conclusion is completely free of proper evidence and likely pre-determined. Causation? What that!

Two questions...

1. Surely the greatest exposure is at home? With parents surely more likely to smoke at home in light of the ban, does this mean exposure to smoke reduced asthma and premature briths?

2. What was the trend before the smoking ban? Were all these not already in a steady decline?

I've lost count of the numbers of claims made by health 'experts' that completely ignore the trend prior to a ban or legislation.
  • Options
    Judge MentalJudge Mental Posts: 18,593
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hilarious to see all the smokers popping up to criticise a law which protects children and employees from lung cancer and other respiratory diseases. Whether there is a causal relationship or not it was the right thing to do. If it's had a measurable health impact is a bonus.
  • Options
    Turnbull2000Turnbull2000 Posts: 7,588
    Forum Member
    Hilarious to see all the smokers popping up to criticise a law which protects children and employees from lung cancer and other respiratory diseases. Whether there is a causal relationship or not it was the right thing to do. If it's had a measurable health impact is a bonus.

I'm not a smoker. And it matters, dear troll, because if baseless evidence is allowed to prevail as justification for policy, then all sorts of measures could potentially be implemented in future (plain alcohol packaging, plain food packaging, e-cigs bans, prohibitions and daily allowances etc etc) on the back of what amounts to lying to the public.
  • Options
    Forum Member

I'm not a smoker.

I just don't like a conclusion predicated on false logic.
  • Options
    CSJBCSJB Posts: 6,188
    Forum Member

I would have thought that was the main aim, but its very telling that you think it's a bonus.

And it's not just smokers that criticise anti smoking laws, state infringement on liberties and freedoms is something which doesn't appeal to a lot of people.
  • Options
    Jol44Jol44 Posts: 21,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The smoking ban has been a big success and is very popular. There's real little call for things to be reversed.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    flagpole wrote: »
    I'm not a smoker.

No, but you just can't bring yourself to say anything even slightly good about the last government.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm not a smoker. And it matters, dear troll, because if baseless evidence is allowed to prevail as justification for policy, then all sorts of measures could potentially be implemented in future (plain alcohol packaging, plain food packaging, e-cigs bans, prohibitions and daily allowances etc etc) on the back of what amounts to lying to the public.

Passive smoking increases the risk of lung cancer and respiratory disease.

Smoking causes lung cancer.

Medical facts. I would be happy with any policy that sought to address those facts.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Jol44 wrote: »
    The smoking ban has been a big success and is very popular. There's real little call for things to be reversed.
    Jol44 wrote: »
    No, but you just can't bring yourself to say anything even slightly good about the last government.

Ehy? Have I said I don't support the ban? I do for purely selfish reasons.

I just reject the logic in the OP. And acknowledge that ideologically it's indefensible.
  • Options
    AdsAds Posts: 37,060
    Forum Member
    From a non smoker's perspective its changed going out massively. Remember the old days when you would wake up after a night out and last night's clothes reaked of ****? Or how busy pubs and clubs were thick with smoke?

I remember how odd it felt going to clubs directly after the ban when for the first time you could smell the stench of sweat and farts!
  • Options
    IanPIanP Posts: 3,661
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    With the "sugary drinks" tax back on the agenda it's important to get the balance of state intervention and public responsibility right. The smoking ban was probably the right thing to do as secondary smoke is a problem in crowded pubs and offices, however I don't support a smoking in cars carrying children ban. I'd rather the police were catching drunk drivers, speeders and thieves than chasing after parents that choose to light up in front of their children. The wider effects on health from car exhausts are far more damaging than secondary smoke in cars. There is a large and ongoing decline in smoking, this cannot be attributed solely to the smoking in public places ban. Smoking has been in decline since the link to cancer was found, modern techniques like patches and e-cigs are helping more people than ever to quit. Although tax receipts from smoking have remained broadly stable despite a large decline in smoking thanks to increased duty, this is under threat from increases in "fake" and smuggled tobacco consumption and the ongoing decline in the number of smokers. With about £9billion of tax receipts coming from tobacco it comes as no surprise that we are heading for a sugar tax. The "sugary drinks" tax will only be the first phase in the war on "bad food" and drink. The minimum price on alcohol will be back, chocolate and crisps taxes will be next before a wider tax on any food with "high" sugar, salt or fat levels. I don't smoke, rarely drink and choose low sugar beverages but some of the food I buy would be classed as unhealthy. Labour have been pushing the cost of living crisis line but they are just as if not more likely to introduce these taxes if elected.
  • Options
    Hollie_LouiseHollie_Louise Posts: 39,991
    Forum Member
    As a smoker, yes the smoking ban is a good thing so now it's time we focus attention on alcohol abuse.
  • Options
    Tal'shiarTal'shiar Posts: 2,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

ANd which study are you quoting to prove 2nd hand smoke has an effect on people? because that one in the 90s was debunked and proven to be utter shite.
  • Options
    James2001James2001 Posts: 73,670
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Even if it was proves tomorrow that second hand smoke was actually beneficial to your health (which is obviously never going to happen), I still wouldn't want smoking in public back, due to the fact that it's simply so bloody unpleasant. The reason I rarely went out before the ban was because of how nasty it was, not because I was worried of the effects on my health- the smoking ban is worth it for that reason alone.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tal'shiar wrote: »
    ANd which study are you quoting to prove 2nd hand smoke has an effect on people? because that one in the 90s was debunked and proven to be utter shite.

In 2004, the International Agency for Research on Cancer (IARC) of the World Health Organization (WHO) reviewed all significant published evidence related to tobacco smoking and cancer. It concluded:
    These meta-analyses show that there is a statistically significant and consistent association between lung cancer risk in spouses of smokers and exposure to second-hand tobacco smoke from the spouse who smokes. The excess risk is of the order of 20% for women and 30% for men and remains after controlling for some potential sources of bias and confounding.[3]
    Subsequent meta-analyses have confirmed these findings,[68][69] and additional studies have found that high overall exposure to passive smoke even among people with non-smoking partners is associated with greater risks than partner smoking and is widespread in non-smokers.[59]

So not the 1990s research then.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As a smoker, yes the smoking ban is a good thing so now it's time we focus attention on alcohol abuse.

I totally agree.

Our attitude toward the highly damaging, hard drug, that is alcohol needs to be addressed, just as we have done with smoking over the last 10-15 years to a certain degree of clear success.
  • Options
    Clarisse76Clarisse76 Posts: 5,566
    Forum Member
    Passive smoking increases the risk of lung cancer and respiratory disease.

Smoking causes lung cancer.

Medical facts. I would be happy with any policy that sought to address those facts.
    Any policy? So you'd support an outright ban on tobacco products?
    Or you could focus your attention on the fact that I'm an adult and consequently what I choose to put into my body is none of your damned business.

Just a thought.
  • Options
    Hollie_LouiseHollie_Louise Posts: 39,991
    Forum Member
    Any policy? So you'd support an outright ban on tobacco products?

Or you could focus your attention on the fact that I'm an adult and consequently what I choose to put into my body is none of your damned business.

Just a thought.

I don't focus my attention on what you put in your body, my point was aimed at the people that constantly point out the dangers of smoking to my health, whilst necking back pint after pint after pint.

My point was aimed at the government who add 28p to a packet of **** yet drop 1p of beer, despite the effect alcohol has on people.

Maybe you could stop being so damned rude? Just a thought
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Just a thought.

It's not that simple though is it, I'd say we certainly don't want to go backward to how it used to be with this damaging drug.