Window 7 Home Premium

13»

Comments

• Options
    s2ks2k Posts: 7,428
    Forum Member
    Smiley433 wrote: »
    So which is it?
    I think he means "fulfilled by Amazon". Its where market sellers use Amazon's own warehouse and delivery process.
  • Options
    cmorriscmorris Posts: 6,157
    Forum Member
    Dispatched from and sold by Amazon
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I have bought OS's before and they have activated.
  • Options
    zx50zx50 Posts: 91,295
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cmorris wrote: »
    So is shhftw and si_crewe's replies regarding the activation correct or will I face a problem? or will it activate ok?

The OEM I bought directly from Amazon for my last build activated okay. Amazon won't sell OEM Windows discs that are dodgy. I wouldn't buy from a seller though, just in case it didn't activate. I would always buy my OEM OS directly from Amazon to be on the safe side.
  • Options
    mred2000mred2000 Posts: 10,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have bought OS's before and they have activated.

Well done, gold star for Mr Morris (MCDST, MCP & MTA)
  • Options
    jackoljackol Posts: 7,887
    Forum Member
    He is in the trade but often looks for help here. Makes me feel sympathy for those who are his customers. If you want a classic look for the thread where help was needed to set up a wireless network.

He also claims he teaches about computers and hardware and software
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Si_Crewe wrote: »
    It should all go smoothly if everything is as it seems but, frankly, I wouldn't bet my house on it.

I mean, what're the chances that this W7 disk has made it's way around numerous previous owners without any of them installing it on a PC and activating it?

Also, FWIW, Acer supply OEM W7 CD's with an activation key that's "just for show".
    My SIL had an Acer laptop (from new) with a CD key stuck to the bottom of it and an OEM W7 disk supplied in the box.
    A couple of years later she asked me to wipe the HDD and reinstall the OS.
    Went through the motions, wiped the HDD, reinstalled the OS, came to activate it, typed in the number on the sticker and got a message saying the key was invalid.
    Phoned up the Acer helpline and they explained that the stickers were, basically, just for show and that their copies of W7 had to be activated via some convoluted process which, unfortunately, I can't recall.

All you can do is give it a try and see if it works and then, if it doesn't, do him a good deal on a copy which will work.

There wasn't any OEM Windows 8 disc supplied with my Acer laptop when I bought it. Unless they stopped supplying OEM discs when they started shipping laptops with Windows 8 perhaps.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The guy has got Windows 7 Home premium but wants to try on his own to install , so hes doing a final backup of data, installing windows as a clean install (removing all partitions existing) Installing a Clean copy, activating using OEM key, installing all software required + drivers and restoring data.

It should all run smoothly without problems?

Is it 32 bit or 64 bit? 2GBs of RAM is needed for the 64 bit version.
  • Options
    mred2000mred2000 Posts: 10,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    zx50 wrote: »
    Is it 32 bit or 64 bit? 2GBs of RAM is needed for the 64 bit version.

OP would know that... surely...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    1GB is for 32bit and 2GB is for 64bit Anyway it installed and activated OK without any problems.
  • Options
    FlyinBrickFlyinBrick Posts: 1,571
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mr Dos wrote: »

If you download an official legit Windows iso from Digital River you use the serial on the sticker, and it should activate OK. Two different disks - 2 different serials. The sticker has a purpose, it's not just for 'show'.

I did exactly that yesterday. Had a cousin who wanted his laptop wiping.
    I downloaded Win7 HP 64 bit from digital river, installed it, and activated it using the sticker key on the bottom of the laptop.
    I've probably done this 40 or 50 times over the years and have never had a problem regards activation.
  • Options
    MissWalfordMissWalford Posts: 728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes that is 100% correct. I ask for advice only and then take the advice given on board. The times I am not on here I have been able to do jobs 90% of the time correctly.

and to ask 1sanity's point: Some ask my advice and Yes I do charge for the work I do.

It seems a little unfair to me. To make a profit from other posters knowledge. Its a bit like exploitation. Just thought I'd comment because I can see why some posters here get angry at you if you are using them for your own financial gain.:(
  • Options
    MissWalfordMissWalford Posts: 728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    1saintly wrote: »
    :o:o if thats right, then im handing my notice in tomorrow and going self employed.
    pretty sure my computer know how is greater than OPs But alot less than some other regulars on this site :blush:
    But if OP can earn £20 hour im in :D;-)

I think the forum members here deserve a cut in the £20. Doesn't seem fair to exploit them.
  • Options
    FlyinBrickFlyinBrick Posts: 1,571
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It seems a little unfair to me. To make a profit from other posters knowledge. Its a bit like exploitation. Just thought I'd comment because I can see why some posters here get angry at you if you are using them for your own financial gain.:(

I don't think people get angry per se. I think people are just incredulous that this guy passes himself off as an IT Tutor/Technician with skills that appear to be basic at the very best.
    My wife has practically zero aptitude as far as PC's and gadgets are concerned, but I'm pretty sure that she could do better than the OP.

ETA. In fact I'm sure of it, I remember her installing and setting up a wireless network card in her friends PC with nothing more than the instructions in the packaging. I must admit I was impressed with her at the time :)
  • Options
    Si_CreweSi_Crewe Posts: 40,202
    Forum Member
    zx50 wrote: »
    There wasn't any OEM Windows 8 disc supplied with my Acer laptop when I bought it. Unless they stopped supplying OEM discs when they started shipping laptops with Windows 8 perhaps.

Uhuh.

This was a few years ago now. It was, at the time, probably one of the first W7 PCs I saw. They bought it in 2008 (?) and it was about 2010 when I tried to reinstall the OS for them.

As I say, it all seemed perfectly straightforward. They still had the OS CD and another CD in a bag, in the laptop box, and the laptop had a sticker on the bottom.
    I installed the OS, got asked for a CD key and found the key on the sticker to be invalid.
    I then went ahead and installed the OS using the "activate later" option, which, after the installation was complete, proved that the OS wasn't going to automatically activate on the basis of detecting any hardware settings and was when I had to phone up Acer, who put me on to MS, and go through some procedure to activate over the phone.
    None of which ended up involving the CD key which was on the sticker.

Course, it might be correct that the supplied CD key would work with some other, generic, version of the same OS but that seems a little convoluted as opposed to working with the disk it's supplied with.

I've also installed "proper" disk-based OEM versions of different OS's on Toshiba and Dell machines and, as you'd expect, they just run through the set-up and are activated automatically because the disk IS keyed to that manufacturers hardware in some way.

I suppose that, perhaps, this laptop was some kind of "special deal" (perhaps it was intended to be sold with XP/Vista and the retailer was offering the W7 disk as a bonus?) and that's why it was all a bit of a mess but I've had the same thing happen with Acer laptops (people around here seem fond of them) on at least 3 occasions so it wasn't a completely isolated incident.
    Maybe it was just something that affected them during the changeover period between XP/Vista and W7 or summat? :confused:

*EDIT*

Worth pointing out, the reason I mentioned it in this thread was that the W7 disk involved were MS branded ones, rather than being branded with any kind of Acer logo, so there was no way of telling if they were tied to any specific machine.
    Again, though, with hindsight, I wonder if that suggests they were bundled with these laptops as some kind of afterthought?
This discussion has been closed.