Kara: Don't Call Me Stupid

2»

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 356
    Forum Member
    Rose-2010 wrote: »
    I had never thought that losing things and having a messy house were related to being dyslexic. It has definately changed the way I look at being dyslexic.
    The losing things and her mum "nagging" were so familiar.

Yes!! My life is a constant struggle to find my phone. When I was living at home my mum stuck a not to the door reminding me to remember my keys (after several times being locked out) which I found very patronising at the time however I never forgot my keys again!
  • soulmate61soulmate61 Posts: 6,176
    Forum Member
    This is tantalising, this BBC3 programme is replaced by a Xmas carols programme in Ireland. Iplayer is not available outside UK.

If anyone knows of a YouTube clip, please say, thanks.
  • Abbasolutely 40Abbasolutely 40 Posts: 15,589
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    soulmate61 wrote: »
    This is tantalising, this BBC3 programme is replaced by a Xmas carols programme in Ireland. Iplayer is not available outside UK.

If anyone knows of a YouTube clip, please say, thanks.

I watched it on BBC3 in Ireland . We have UPC ? Its on again at 3am or some such time .I found the times in the RTE guide .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9DQFbQWyOdw

Try that link and you will find it in four parts '
  • lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Kez100 wrote: »
    Yes, it does help some, but the programme gave the impression it could help more than that. My son has been tested/screened and was told they wouldn't help him (there are many different facets of dyslexia although they all result in the same problem - low reading and spelling age).It's only a minor point - I thought the programme was brilliant. So much so I sent a link to it on iplayer to our schools Chair of Governors and SEN Governor.

The tinted lenses might only help a few but the effect can be dramatic from what I have heard. A friend got them for her sons and later told some doctors who were related to her, they had never heard of them. I think my optician knew nothing about them either. So if even only a few people try them then the programme has proved its worth.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,514
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes!! My life is a constant struggle to find my phone. When I was living at home my mum stuck a not to the door reminding me to remember my keys (after several times being locked out) which I found very patronising at the time however I never forgot my keys again!

I have a list of stuff on my front door which has all the things I need to take with me when I leave the house.
    The thing that annoys me most is that I live in a house where you have to go down the stairs from my room to the rest of house. I always gets distracted so I find myself walking up and down the stairs hoping to remember why I went downstairs in the first place.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 356
    Forum Member
    Rose-2010 wrote: »
    I have a list of stuff on my front door which has all the things I need to take with me when I leave the house.
    The thing that annoys me most is that I live in a house where you have to go down the stairs from my room to the rest of house. I always gets distracted so I find myself walking up and down the stairs hoping to remember why I went downstairs in the first place.

Yes I get so frustrated with myself when I walk into a room with a specifc intention then cannot remember for the life of me what it was walk back upstairs, jog my memory then back downstairs :mad: haha this is like thearpy :p
  • Jan2555*GG*Jan2555*GG* Posts: 11,064
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I loved this documentary I suffered with dyslexia all through school and uni and at time thought myself stupid and slow. i was also under the impression that it would mainly effect acedemic studies and watching this show has made me see how it actually still affects me in everyday life!! The losing the phone thing made me think was watching myself!!

I think I will now try and get an adult dyslexic tutor as I am sure that I could learn to structure tasks and everything better and I am truely thankful that this program has made me look closer at how it still is affecting my life but more importantly how you can overcome it!!

On the learning the dances I do think it's harder for her to learn the dances first off, but becuase she was putting everything into long term memory I think it actually helped in the end as she could focus on the performance side as well.

Starlight86 what a lovely post..........I am so happy that you have got something so positive out of the programme I am sure thats exactly the response that Kara wanted. It was an amazing documentary and should be compulsory viewing. I do think the BBC should show it on BBC1 or BBC2 at prime time.
    Forum Member
    I watched it on BBC3 in Ireland . We have UPC ? Its on again at 3am or some such time .I found the times in the RTE guide .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9DQFbQWyOdw

Try that link and you will find it in four parts '

Thanks Abbasolutely. Now I understand why Kara speaks a little slower, but it probably helps as she does not become a captive of slickness to which some cleverdicks become prone.

Yes I use UPC, but I am in Eire not NI, and at 8pm for sure channel 118 was showing Xmas Carols. Did BBC3 wander off to another UPC channel?

So instead at 8pm I switched to watch Abba favourites full of music and sunshine, which went on until 9:30, then I switched over to the Apprentice. All in all it has been an upbeat weekend with encouraging outcomes for those who work for them. Lets keep it like that. :D:D:D Thanks again X.
  • perdiedumplingperdiedumpling Posts: 8,540
    Forum Member
    Thanks Abbasolutely. Now I understand why Kara speaks a little slower, but it probably helps as she does not become a captive of slickness to which some cleverdicks become prone.

Yes I use UPC, but I am in Eire not NI, and at 8pm for sure channel 118 was showing Xmas Carols. Did BBC3 wander off to another UPC channel?

So instead at 8pm I switched to watch Abba favourites full of music and sunshine, which went on until 9:30, then I switched over to the Apprentice. All in all it has been an upbeat weekend with encouraging outcomes for those who work for them. Lets keep it like that. :D:D:D Thanks again X.

I got it in Eire on Freeview. Don't know if that is any help (and if it is, it's far too late!).

I found this show extremely interesting. There was the aspect on dyslexia and the difficulties it makes as well as some of the strategies for coping with it. There was also Kara herself, who comes across much as she did on SCD - light-natured, sweet and very hard-working. She's obviously quite empathetic as well as she seemed to get on really well with all her fellow sufferers.

As others have said, it's a shame that this wasn't shown on BBC1 or 2 - certainly there were aspects of dyslexia such as the "light spots" in reading that I wasn't very aware of.
    Forum Member
    I loved this documentary I suffered with dyslexia all through school and uni and at time thought myself stupid and slow. i was also under the impression that it would mainly effect acedemic studies and watching this show has made me see how it actually still affects me in everyday life!! The losing the phone thing made me think was watching myself!!

I think I will now try and get an adult dyslexic tutor as I am sure that I could learn to structure tasks and everything better and I am truely thankful that this program has made me look closer at how it still is affecting my life but more importantly how you can overcome it!!

On the learning the dances I do think it's harder for her to learn the dances first off, but becuase she was putting everything into long term memory I think it actually helped in the end as she could focus on the performance side as well.

An illuminating programme, and a lovely girl for coping with a disability in such a sunny way.

As for tinted lenses reducing glare and eye tiredness, this would apply even to the general population, including staring at a PC monitor with a shining white background. The old DS Strictly pink background was probably less stressful than the current blue to the eye, so pink was not just a fluffy indulgence. Anyone else think so? Is this an aspect worth discussing with DS management? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9DQFbQWyOdw

As for consciously tidying up, organising and storing short-term memory into efficient longterm memory, and via digesting and filing making it more accessible via keyword, keycolour, keynumber, keymusic, keyindexing and relational links, such efficiency housekeeping is available on every computer by human command, e.g. C disk defragging. In the human brain no doubt a little of this automatically goes on every night during sleep, but conscious classification during daytime would improve memory reorg, thus reducing the stress and load on cache memory?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 241
    Forum Member
    One of my lovely daughters is dyslexic, and just as a heads up to anyone else out there with children suffering from this.....
    She gained 10 GCSEs (had to resit english three times), A levels in Physics, Maths and Chemistry. Foundation degree in Art (Merit) BA hons in Computer animation (2:1), spent 4 months on a dude ranch in Montana and has just taken up an apprenticeship as a car mechanic. She is so lovin' life!
  • SCD-ObserverSCD-Observer Posts: 18,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I recorded it via iplayer (don't ask), and I am happy that Kara was able to step out and in this way expose her 'weakness' to help others. Just makes her even more endearing, doesn't it?:D
  • lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As for tinted lenses reducing glare and eye tiredness, this would apply even to the general population, including staring at a PC monitor with a shining white background.

A friend at college always used light green paper for notes etc., he did not seem to be dyslexic but I wonder if he was effectively using the same techniques without realising it?
  • ESPIONdansantESPIONdansant Posts: 6,760
    Forum Member
    I sometimes remember to print handouts on pastel paper and when I do a presentation I never use a white background.
    Forum Member
    I sometimes remember to print handouts on pastel paper and when I do a presentation I never use a white background.
    Another variation on the theme is snow blindness, with shades worn as a counter. Those who have had eye consultations and experienced eye drops used to temporarily prevent the iris contracting to reduce pupil exposure in over-bright light, realise how distracting and disorienting glare is.

Dance for me is the mirror of nature, with costume colour and design and even hairstyling speaking to the eye as music speaks to the ear.