Options

Why have we been cheated out of the normal Xmas Special format?

2»

Comments

• Options
    nosilauknosilauk Posts: 647
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm really looking forward to it too be cause of the new celeb/pro pairings. To be honest the last couple of xmas specials have left me abit cold...
  • Options
    memmhmemmh Posts: 14,381
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    deleted - wrong thread
  • Options
    ESPIONdansantESPIONdansant Posts: 6,760
    Forum Member
    I'm glad it's some new folks. I think I'll far prefer it. Good idea.
  • Options
    ForerroRocherForerroRocher Posts: 10,812
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's all down to viewers own personal preferences and obviously, nobody can judge 100% until they've seen it, but I'm not looking forward to it either.

I get that it's something a bit different, but it just seems a bit of a flat idea. One of the greatest things about the Christmas special, IMO, was that there was always at least one couple taking part that you supported during their run on the show, and the rivalry (whilst still staying fun and civil for christmas) and favouritism stays in place where you want them to win the Christmas special (I always wanted Ramps & Karen to win the specials they did, even though they'd already won the main show) and I was cheering Austin & Erin on last year.

It's still Strictly and it'll still be good, hopefully, but I'm not jumping for joy. :o
  • Options
    thenetworkbabethenetworkbabe Posts: 45,624
    Forum Member
    I think the new format will be better.The current celebs would have been a bit of an anticlimax and a bit boring.New celebs will make it a bit of fun for Xmas :)

Have you seen who is in it - Dot Cotton, turnover now Barrowman, Fern Briton , and the incredible, disloyal, student loan commitment breaking, obviously not very busy, business secretary Vince. It makes even the terrible Vernon on ITV look preferable.
  • Options
    soulmate61soulmate61 Posts: 6,176
    Forum Member
    I have been pondering, what is Moira Ross's guiding principle in decision-making.

At last I have tumbled. Moira is made of anti-matter, her energy is anti-energy, her thoughts anti-thoughts, her Strictly anti-Strictly, and the next show anti-Christmas. For the uninitiated it is simply to do everything in an opposite way. Because Ann is now the established order, it has to be Dot Cotton.

When matter and anti-matter collide they annihilate each other in a cloud of white smoke, what you have been seeing regularly on the dance floor. :cool:
  • Options
    Smokeychan1Smokeychan1 Posts: 12,200
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have to admit I have never watched a Strictly Christmas edition. I suppose I am one of those viewers for whom the dancing is secondary to the j..development process the contestants go through. A one-off show just doesnt have the human interest, whether it be returning or one-time only celebs.

Have to say though, that for a one-off edition, you would really think they could have employed a better calibre of contestants :o
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,373
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm pretty disappointed that it's not this series celebs. However, I am looking forward to the group dance. ;)

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-1340982/Strictly-Come-Dancing-Christmas-special-Kara-Tointon--Artem-Chigvintsev-pucker-up.html
  • Options
    CheshirecheeseCheshirecheese Posts: 544
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Those of us who have been cheated of enjoying Matthew Cutler's wonderful dancing this series are delighted about the change of formula and can't wait!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 380
    Forum Member
    My take on this year's Christmas special is that it's in keeping with a whole series of changes making the SCD experience easier for older dancers, possibly responding to criticisms that the programme was ageist. This year we haven't had celebrities having to learn group dances at the same time as competitive dances, they only had to do more than one dance a week at the semi-final stage and, unlike in previous years, the leading contenders didn't have to record the Christmas special a couple of weeks before the Final.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 301
    Forum Member
    Pretzel wrote: »
    ....there is indeed a group dance featuring Matt, Kara, Pamela, Gavin and (I think) Scott and thier partners. Ann had a prior engagement... rather conveniently ;):p

Well that's good at least, but I still don't understand why we'll mostly get to see people we haven't seen before :sleep:.
  • Options
    footygirlfootygirl Posts: 35,212
    Forum Member
    Those of us who have been cheated of enjoying Matthew Cutler's wonderful dancing this series are delighted about the change of formula and can't wait!

And why were we cheated out of seeing Chris and Ola do a champions dance this series. We had to put up with Lisa Snowdon last final so why couldn't we have been recompensed by another dance from Team Cola
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,196
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was actually glad I didn't have to see Chris Hollins gurn his way through another dance. It would have been very embarrassing in my opinion. That's one thing on which I agree with the Beeb - we didn't need to see that again :eek:
  • Options
    StockingfillerStockingfiller Posts: 3,302
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Moira Ross. That could end up in the dictionary as a term for swearing. " I had my car serviced and they made a right Moira Ross of it. ". Or it's useful for rhyming slang, as in, " doesn't give a to&&".
  • Options
    scarlottiscarlotti Posts: 1,520
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I quite like the idea of having celebrities who couldn't devote time to a full SCD series on the Christmas Special.

However, I think the people selected are a nitemare!

Will still watch though!
  • Options
    thenetworkbabethenetworkbabe Posts: 45,624
    Forum Member
    Well that's good at least, but I still don't understand why we'll mostly get to see people we haven't seen before :sleep:.

Xmas basically.

The annual show is timed to end just before xmas. They can't get people to work closer to xmas and on it. The people doing the last stages of the main show show are worn out and have too much to do in the last few weeks to fit another decent standard show in before, or after, the series final. Even if this years top 3 turned up, they would be worn out and competing against fresh people from previous years.

An answer is to do it later but it can't be a New Year's Day show without people working over Xmas. The ideal thing would be to take the past really good people and this year's top ones doing the tour , plus this years winner if they are not doing the tour, and get them to do a TV show when they are worked up for the tour . Problem is thats too late for any big TV date. The only answer I can see that works to have an all star show is to start and end the main series earlier - but then they undermine the main series and lose ratings there.

They also have to find good people to bring back. With the girls in particular, Ali has play rehearsals and no Brian, Alesha is a judge, Emma is pregnant and Rachel had a baby girl just over a week ago - you are down to second best from the last 4 series to start with. I imagine its also difficult to get people back in the main panto season too. Hence the idea of people who are new and available - which dictates they all have to be new and available...........though the Business Secretary not being too busy suggests something too.