Options

Neighbours 30th anniversary special flops in Australia

Comments

• Options
    TLC1098TLC1098 Posts: 1,780
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    danyell wrote: »
    And the characters are boring and unlikeable. Neighbours has much better characters in comparison.

Apart from the oldies the rest of the cast is horrendous. The show seems to be incapable of creating good characters like they used to.
  • Options
    Chris_TVChris_TV Posts: 4,034
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think it will flop in the UK. It's been trending on Twitter most of the day thanks to good promotion by channel 5, and few of the cast members that have flew over to do press.
  • Options
    PEARLY331PEARLY331 Posts: 571
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Chris_TV wrote: »
    I don't think it will flop in the UK. It's been trending on Twitter most of the day thanks to good promotion by channel 5, and few of the cast members that have flew over to do press.

Lets face it, Neighbours would have been axed years back if it wasnt for the UK audience.
  • Options
    BadRomanceBadRomance Posts: 8,734
    Forum Member
    Scorpio2 wrote: »
    Home & Away is unrealistic.

It's a soap opera for entertainment. It's not real life. That's what soaps are meant to be about - fantasy and entertainment.
  • Options
    JCRJCR Posts: 24,076
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BadRomance wrote: »
    I'm surprised they even broadcast it on Ten to be honest. If it wasn't for the UK audience, Neighbours would have been axed many moons ago. To be fair, it did get double its normal audience which is an achievement for any show. Good to see H&A riding high tho!

Australian tv has government imposed home grown drama quotas; Neighbours is unlikely to be axed because if it was it'd have to be replaced with a similar show that may crash and burn. There would be little point axing Neighbours unless they were 100% sure any replacement soap for it would do better.

Ultimately Neighbours survives for this reason, it's little or nothing to do with UK.
  • Options
    BadRomanceBadRomance Posts: 8,734
    Forum Member
    JCR wrote: »
    Australian tv has government imposed home grown drama quotas; Neighbours is unlikely to be axed because if it was it'd have to be replaced with a similar show that may crash and burn. There would be little point axing Neighbours unless they were 100% sure any replacement soap for it would do better.

Ultimately Neighbours survives for this reason, it's little or nothing to do with UK.

Alan Fletcher himself just said on TV maybe Neighbours wouldn't have survived if it wasn't for the UK. Ten has other dramas besides Neighbours
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BadRomance wrote: »
    Alan Fletcher himself just said on TV maybe Neighbours wouldn't have survived if it wasn't for the UK. Ten has other dramas besides Neighbours

Alan Fletcher put over the UK on a UK tv show. Wow. :p
  • Options
    dan2008dan2008 Posts: 37,281
    Forum Member
    H.M wrote: »
    Home and Away is popular because it airs on the dominant TV network at a time when a large number of people are watching TV. Seven always gains high ratings for its news-hour between 6-7pm, which feeds viewers directly into Home and Away. For as long as Seven News remains a high rating platform, H&A will always achieve high ratings.

Home and Away on Ten = Between 600,000 and 700,000 viewers.

Home and Away on a digital channel = about half of what it currently gets on Seven.

As for Neighbours, it is completely off the radar of mainstream Australia.

Neighbours on Ten = double what it currently gets on Eleven.
    Neighbours started on Seven but was later axed due to poor ratings. Neighbours was axed from channel Ten too.
    Home and Away has remained popular in Aus since it's launch and is still on channel Seven.

Neighbours would have been axed years ago without the support from The UK. BBC treated it well and it rated highly
    Much of the cast and crew have stated this over the years.

FIVE seem to be doing an Ok job with it aswell.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Alan Fletcher put over the UK on a UK tv show. Wow. :p
    It's something Cast and Crew have said a lot over the years.In 2007 Neighbours was still getting 5 million viewers across both it's showings on BBC1. At times in the 80's/90's it outrated EastEnders and Corrie despite being axed from one network in it's own country.
  • Options
    dd68dd68 Posts: 17,841
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't buy this nonsense about ratings being lower because of the channel it's on, we are all digital now
  • Options
    Soapfan678Soapfan678 Posts: 3,352
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    danyell wrote: »
    And the characters are boring and unlikeable. Neighbours has much better characters in comparison.

Neighbours have awful characters too though. Paige and Josh.
  • Options
    AndybearAndybear Posts: 11,287
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dd68 wrote: »
    I don't buy this nonsense about ratings being lower because of the channel it's on, we are all digital now

The UK is but is Australia?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dan2008 wrote: »
    It's something Cast and Crew have said a lot over the years.In 2007 Neighbours was still getting 5 million viewers across both it's showings on BBC1. At times in the 80's/90's it outrated EastEnders and Corrie despite being axed from one network in it's own country.

If it got axed in Australia it'd get axed, they wouldn't make it just for the UK. But as mentioned that is unlikely due to the home grown drama quotas.

Interesting to see what the next UK tv deal looks like, given the last one presumably had large tax avoidance benefits for Fremantlemedia, and the next one won't.
  • Options
    DeschanelDeschanel Posts: 8,745
    Forum Member
    It's quite evident from the ratings that being on a digital channel restricts the amount of people who will tune in. Neighbours was the top multi-channel rating on Monday, with 283,000 - that's how many people were watching digital TV that day, and they were watching Neighbours. Some days a programme will rate into the 300k, but that seems to be rare these days. The numbers really aren't that impressive when compared to the UK figures.

Compare that to the Free-to-air channels, and they can get up to 1 million and slightly over, but most shows are rating in the 800-900k, which are decent, solid numbers. It's also important to note that the ratings only measure people in the 5-metro cities, and not the whole of Australia. It seems regional viewers are not important to TV land (they do get measured, but they aren't treated with much importance).

So, shove top rated Home & Away onto a digital channel, and watch its audience half. Stop promoting and marketing it outside of the digital channel, and it's likely to shed even more viewers.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    If it got axed in Australia it'd get axed, they wouldn't make it just for the UK. But as mentioned that is unlikely due to the home grown drama quotas.

Interesting to see what the next UK tv deal looks like, given the last one presumably had large tax avoidance benefits for Fremantlemedia, and the next one won't.
    Of course. It's just the fact TEN axed it but Nine picked it up years ago. As longs it's still screened in Aus it will be here. The BBC done the right thing and backed out of paying that extra money to keep the show.
  • Options
    Matt35Matt35 Posts: 30,137
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Neighbours has always been more popular in the uk. There isn't a chance of it being axed while it continues to be popular over here. Found that amazing that 20 million in the uk watched scott and Charlene's wedding and there was only about 17 million people in aus. Watched this show since first ep and it'll still be here for the 40th.
  • Options
    ChipDouglas82ChipDouglas82 Posts: 6,700
    Forum Member
    I thought it was very good, I guess you can't please Aussies regarding Neighbours.

Did anyone think Jackie Woodburnes accent was a bit odd? The way she pronounced her 'errs' i.e when she said 'Neighbours' as Neighburrs'

I thought it was a bit odd, maybe it was just her accent as I know she's an Northern Irish Australian.
  • Options
    H.MH.M Posts: 54
    Forum Member
    dan2008 wrote: »
    Neighbours started on Seven but was later axed due to poor ratings. Neighbours was axed from channel Ten too.
    Home and Away has remained popular in Aus since it's launch and is still on channel Seven.

Neighbours would have been axed years ago without the support from The UK. BBC treated it well and it rated highly
    Much of the cast and crew have stated this over the years.

FIVE seem to be doing an Ok job with it aswell.

Yes, Neighbours originally failed on Seven before becoming successful on Ten, but that was an entirely different era of television.

In the mid/late 80s, Channel Ten were the number 2 ranked television network. Seven were third. So at that point, being on Ten gave you a better chance of success than being on Seven. Seven overtook Ten as the number 2 network in 1989, and H&A overtook Neighbours in Australian TV ratings in 1990.
  • Options
    Forum Member

Shows on the Australian major networks always attract significantly higher viewership than shows on digital channels.

Simpsons and Neighbours lost around half their audience when they moved from Ten to Eleven. Glee, Raising Hope and Sleepy Hollow lost more than half their audience when they moved from Ten to Eleven.

Simpsons repeats were getting 120,000-130,000 viewers when they aired at 6pm weeknights on Eleven. When the show moved to Ten in the same timeslot, ratings increased to over 280,000.

Big Brother get 600,000 viewers on Nine. They get 300,000 viewers on Go.

Big Bang theory repeats on Nine get double, sometimes triple the ratings of Big Bang repeats on Go in comparable timeslots.

Criminal Minds repeats on Seven get double the viewership of Criminal Minds repeats on 7two.

Taking that into account, I'd say the channel definitely does have an impact.
  • Options
    djpowerdjpower Posts: 1,066
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    H.M wrote: »
    Home and Away is popular because it airs on the dominant TV network at a time when a large number of people are watching TV. Seven always gains high ratings for its news-hour between 6-7pm, which feeds viewers directly into Home and Away. For as long as Seven News remains a high rating platform, H&A will always achieve high ratings.
    Seven News only rates high in Perth and Adelaide and its marginal in Brisbane. 9 News often rates higher in Melbourne and Sydney by a fair margin the only reason why 7 News looks repeatable on a national level is because of Perth and Adelaide
  • Options
    habbyhabby Posts: 10,027
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Ramsey Street tour I went on in 2012 was very good.
  • Options
    CherryRoseCherryRose Posts: 13,198
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Shame for Neighbours, I think Home and Away and Neighbours are great soaps. They're not too bad for first soap viewing either for your children.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    djpower wrote: »
    Seven News only rates high in Perth and Adelaide and its marginal in Brisbane. 9 News often rates higher in Melbourne and Sydney by a fair margin the only reason why 7 News looks repeatable on a national level is because of Perth and Adelaide

Yes, Seven News does better in Adelaide and Perth compared to Sydney and Melbourne, but that does not disprove my point.

If you look at last week's ratings. Home and Away aired Monday-Thursday @ 7pm against A Current Affair on Channel Nine.

Nine News beat Seven News in Sydney and Melbourne. ACA, which follows Nine News, beat Home and Away, which follows Seven News, in Sydney and Melbourne.

Meanwhile in Adelaide and Perth, Seven News beat Nine News each night. Home and Away, which follows Seven News, beat ACA on Nine in those two cities.

So in the places where Seven News beats Nine News, H&A beats ACA. Where Nine News beats Seven News. ACA wins.

Coincidence??
  • Options
    Hank1234Hank1234 Posts: 3,756
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought it was very good, I guess you can't please Aussies regarding Neighbours.

Did anyone think Jackie Woodburnes accent was a bit odd? The way she pronounced her 'errs' i.e when she said 'Neighbours' as Neighburrs'

I thought it was a bit odd, maybe it was just her accent as I know she's an Northern Irish Australian.

What's a Northern Irish Australlian?
  • Options
    flounder78flounder78 Posts: 208
    Forum Member
    Well I don't think you can say doubling your audience a flop! It might seem low in isolation but in context it did really well.