Any Two Ronnies fans?

Glenn AGlenn A Posts: 23,877
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Who else used to look forward to their Two Ronnies fix every Saturday? This really was a show of comic genious with scarcely a bad sketch in 16 years and their serials like The Phantom Raspberry Blower were hilarious.

Comments

• LudwigVonDrakeLudwigVonDrake Posts: 12,836
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They were fantastic. Especially the musical numbers.

Ronnie Barker was a genius.
  • doublefourdoublefour Posts: 6,013
    Forum Member
    I used to love this when it was on, I was pretty young at the time but was still a staple of Saturday night television.
    I liked the serials, The Worm that Turned was one I fondly remembered.
    The Two Ronnies programme always seemed to have inventive sketches at the time as well.
  • grimtales1grimtales1 Posts: 46,695
    Forum Member
    I thought the serials (eg Hampton Wick) went on a bit too long TBH, but I loved Barker's wordplay and the musical numbers were genius :D
  • Glenn AGlenn A Posts: 23,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When Morecambe and Wise went off the boil when they left the BBC in 1978, the Two Ronnies kept up the standard for comedy double acts. In 16 years I don't think I saw a bad show, that was how good they were. Also ratings of 18 million seemed to confirm how good they were.
    Also they provided their guest singers with their big break. Lynsey de Paul, the Nolan Sisters and Barbara Dickson were relatively unknown until they got their guest slot on the Two Ronnies.
  • Billy_ValueBilly_Value Posts: 22,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i love the two fantastical ronnies and im very eargly waiting to watch the not watched yet the one ronnie this very christmas
  • GlengavelGlengavel Posts: 1,925
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fork 'andles. Pismorunciation. Brilliant. And now I'm older, I appreciate Ronnie C's chairbound monologues a bit more - when I was younger I couldn't understand why it took him so long to tell one joke.
  • FroodFrood Posts: 13,180
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not nearly as good as M&W.

And some of the sketches were rather poor.

On the whole, still very good though.

And now, Barbara Dickson..............

:D
  • essexpeteessexpete Posts: 9,204
    Forum Member
    Gradually collecting all the seres on DVD. My favourite sketches are the ones that featiure them messing around with words for comic effect,e.g Limerick Clinic or Swedish Made Simple, and the classic Four Candles, think they were written by a certain Gerald Wiley aka Ronnie Barker
  • redcherryredcherry Posts: 12,333
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Loved the 2 Ronnies. Actually preferred then to M & W. Ronnie Barker was a brilliant comedy writer, and seemed such a nice gentle man.
    Forum Member
    redcherry wrote: »
    Loved the 2 Ronnies. Actually preferred then to M & W. Ronnie Barker was a brilliant comedy writer, and seemed such a nice gentle man.

who collected saucy seaside postcards:D
  • Pliny the ElderPliny the Elder Posts: 2,665
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You know... ha ha.. i was telling the.. producer... ha ha... how good the... ha ha... Two Ronnie's were, but I digress...
  • Prince MonaluluPrince Monalulu Posts: 35,900
    Forum Member
    You know... ha ha.. i was telling the.. producer... ha ha... how good the... ha ha... Two Ronnie's were, but I digress...

Some of the long running skits were a bit too long running IMO.
    I mean the Phantom raspberry blower type things.

I liked Ronnie C's chair bit, one of the highlights even though I wouldn't have got all the jokes back then.
    It was nice when Ben Elton asked him to revive it for his show.

As an aside did Ronnie C's Sorry ever get another airing after it's original broadcast?
  • Wallasey SaintWallasey Saint Posts: 7,620
    Forum Member
    Loved the 2 Ronnies i dont think there was a bad episode.. The Phantom Raspberry Blower ecc.my favourite part of the show was the News healines.

Four Candles.
  • Pliny the ElderPliny the Elder Posts: 2,665
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As an aside did Ronnie C's Sorry ever get another airing after it's original broadcast?

I can vaguely remember this being repeated on UK Gold many years ago (in the days when I had Sky). I couldn't tell you if it has been re-repeated more recently.
    Forum Member
    I can vaguely remember this being repeated on UK Gold many years ago (in the days when I had Sky). I couldn't tell you if it has been re-repeated more recently.

The series is on DVD., although it's a shame Sorry isn't repeated as much as Ronnie B, Porridge has been.
  • DavetheScotDavetheScot Posts: 16,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Two Ronnies were great. My favourites were the Mastermind sketch and fork handles - but then I think everyone liked those!
  • DavetheScotDavetheScot Posts: 16,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The series is on DVD., although it's a shame Sorry isn't repeated as much as Ronnie B, Porridge has been.

I liked Sorry, but it is understandable it's not had the repeats Porridge has. Sorry is good, but Porridge is a classic, one of the best ever.
  • andycurlyandycurly Posts: 326
    Forum Member
    one of my favorite Ronnie Barker monologues

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=73qsRd-zuEM
  • TouristaTourista Posts: 14,338
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Loved the Two Ronnies.

I dont know if it was an urban myth or not, but at his funeral, didnt they have four candles, instead of the usual two in the procession into the church?.....
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    Tourista wrote: »
    Loved the Two Ronnies.

I dont know if it was an urban myth or not, but at his funeral, didnt they have four candles, instead of the usual two in the procession into the church?.....

I doubt it, he was buried in a humanist ceremony I think.
    Forum Member
    I liked Sorry, but it is understandable it's not had the repeats Porridge has. Sorry is good, but Porridge is a classic, one of the best ever.

Porridge is a classic, as is Open All Hours[i've got both series on DVD], i still say it's a shame Sorry hasn't been repeated as much as those classic series have been
  • Prince MonaluluPrince Monalulu Posts: 35,900
    Forum Member

Won't get an argument here, absolute Classic Porridge, seems to be on a loop alternating with Dad's Army on BBC2.
    Proper warm glow TV, is Porridge.
  • elnombreelnombre Posts: 3,625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Love the Two Ronnies, but have to agree Porridge stands as Ronnie B's crowning achievement. The nuance in his acting, the balance of the drama and comedy hasn't ever been equalled since (and maybe only in Steptoe before).
    Forum Member
    Tourista wrote: »
    Loved the Two Ronnies.

It was his memorial service(at Westminster Abbey I believe) where 4 candles were used
  • ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    essexpete wrote: »
    It was his memorial service(at Westminster Abbey I believe) where 4 candles were used

The Sun had a brilliant front page reporting his death - picture of his spectacles and the headline

''And It's Goodbye from Him''

:D:D:D