The Royle Family Christmas Special Thread

boogie woogieboogie woogie Posts: 16,434
Forum Member
✭✭
Afternoon folks. Who else is looking forward to the Royle Family Xmas special tonight? In particular I'm looking forward to the addition of the excellent Joanne Froggatt to the cast as Antony's pregnant girlfriend Saskia. It'll be good to see her hone her comedic talents again, it's been a long time since her guest turn as the dopey Sigourney in 'Dinnerladies'.

The Royle Family Christmas Specials have always met with a mixed reaction from viewers and critics. I believe that The New Sofa was probably the worst- slapstick comedy was never a feature of the Royle Family and it betrayed the format and winning formula of dry wit that has always characterised the show. Last year's special 'The Golden Egg Cup' was a significant improvement but wasn't without it's faults. Hopefully this year, the show will just within the environs of the Royle household where it should always have been.

By the way does anyone know if Geoffrey Hughes will be appearing tonight?

Comments

• John DoughJohn Dough Posts: 146,568
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    It will hopefully be an improvement on the last two 'specials' which were awful especially the 2008 programme.:eek: IMO the programme should have ended after the episode in which Nana died.:rolleyes::(
  • Dan06Dan06 Posts: 1,223
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Afternoon folks. Who else is looking forward to the Royle Family Xmas special tonight? In particular I'm looking forward to the addition of the excellent Joanne Froggatt to the cast as Antony's pregnant girlfriend Saskia. It'll be good to see her hone her comedic talents again, it's been a long time since her guest turn as the dopey Sigourney in 'Dinnerladies'.

The Royle Family Christmas Specials have always met with a mixed reaction from viewers and critics. I believe that The New Sofa was probably the worst- slapstick comedy was never a feature of the Royle Family and it betrayed the format and winning formula of dry wit that has always characterised the show. Last year's special 'The Golden Egg Cup' was a significant improvement but wasn't without it's faults. Hopefully this year, the show will just within the environs of the Royle household where it should always have been.

By the way does anyone know if Geoffrey Hughes will be appearing tonight?

Doesn't look as if he is no...
  • StrakerStraker Posts: 79,651
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am more looking forward to the next time I will inevitably tread in dog shit than watching Aherne’s drunken Yuletide scribblings. As I do not however intend to watch it would only be the amusement value in slagging it off on here that would encourage me to endure it.

Craig Cash - WTF are you thinking?!?!
  • boogie woogieboogie woogie Posts: 16,434
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dan06 wrote: »
    Doesn't look as if he is no...

That's a shame, I had heard that the actor had been in poor health lately.:(
  • John DoughJohn Dough Posts: 146,568
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
  • essexpeteessexpete Posts: 9,208
    Forum Member
    should be good. I put the latest complete set of RF on my xmas list
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    essexpete wrote: »
    should be good. I put the latest complete set of RF on my xmas list

I have all the Royle Family on DVD, the first 3 series are comedy gold. I quite enjoyed the Queen of Sheba special as it was beautifully written. One scene that stands out for me is when Barbara is doing Nana's hair, extremely poignant and something that so many people with aged parents could relate to.:cry:
    Forum Member
    I have all the Royle Family on DVD, the first 3 series are comedy gold. I quite enjoyed the Queen of Sheba special as it was beautifully written. One scene that stands out for me is when Barbara is doing Nana's hair, extremely poignant and something that so many people with aged parents could relate to.:cry:

Golden Eggcup had its moments for me namely the Cluedo scene, think my favourite ep of the first 3 series iss from the first series when Jim Antony ard Barbara are in their bedrooms and get disturbed by Dave and Denise's rowing
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My favourite is a toss-up between the Sunday dinner episode or else the one where Elsie "Rest in Pieces" has just died...comic genius.:D
  • Cal2008Cal2008 Posts: 2,181
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Weres mary as she is not in tonights?
    Forum Member
    she wasnt in last year's either
  • lealeedslealeeds Posts: 2,283
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I do hope it's better than last years pathetic offering.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Some info on tonight's offering:

It's Christmas day at the Royles and Barbara is up to her eyes in it as Jim is out of action due to an unfortunate incident in the precinct. Dave and Denise are obviously feeling the coalition the most and worry that Anthony's lavish gifts will eclipse their gift of a fridge magnet. Joe reminisces about a tipsy evening of naked wrestling in front of the fire with Bobby Carter while Cheryl recounts her romantic encounter in the local supermarket car park.
    Forum Member
    sounds good
  • ScoundreldaysScoundreldays Posts: 1,373
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well I'm looking forward to it.
  • ~Twinkle~~Twinkle~ Posts: 8,166
    Forum Member
    Last year's offering was the worst yet, one hopes that this year's will be a tad better. I think it'll be hard to beat the episode when Denise cooked Christmas dinner, the starter of cup-a-soup with a twist was pure genius. :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ~Twinkle~ wrote: »
    Last year's offering was the worst yet, one hopes that this year's will be a tad better. I think it'll be hard to beat the episode when Denise cooked Christmas dinner, the starter of cup-a-soup with a twist was pure genius. :D

That's probably the worst episode in the show's history IMO. When Dave and Denise started cutting the frozen turkey with the strimmers it was a real jump-the-shark moment. It started off well when the Royles were at home but when they set foot inside the Bests' house it all became too farcical.
  • HeadancerHeadancer Posts: 463
    Forum Member
    The problem is they overdo do it and it falls flat.......

what works best is simple !

No real plot required, just do thw wit, banter and mannerisms etc

They turn dire when they go off piste !

Last year was utter utter shite, and i love the prgramme !

I suspect this year will be dross but live in hope !
  • cbe21okcbe21ok Posts: 3,047
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought the 'Chicken Tonight' episode where Nana had her eye patch on was quality.
  • ~Twinkle~~Twinkle~ Posts: 8,166
    Forum Member
    That's probably the worst episode in the show's history IMO. When Dave and Denise started cutting the frozen turkey with the strimmers it was a real jump-the-shark moment. It started off well when the Royles were at home but when they set foot inside the Bests' house it all became too farcical.

My worst was last year's dire offering, no chip pan in a caravan? Jim peeing in a bottle in the back of a car was stomach churning, I don't think I even raised a smile.

Let's hope that Cash and Aherne get back on track tonight, keep it in the Royle household and get back to the bare bones, the banality was the biggest comedy element, let's get back to Barbara asking Denise if she's had her tea and what she's had, I want more Dairylea on toast dialogue.
  • zoepaulpennyzoepaulpenny Posts: 15,951
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    what time is it on tonight ????
  • gmphmacgmphmac Posts: 2,212
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can't wait for tonight's episode. I'm hoping that it'll be big improvement over last year's mess :rolleyes:

I see this episode is a one-off. I thought the other Christmas specials were too :confused:
  • BigBmadBigBmad Posts: 18,278
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    gmphmac wrote: »
    Can't wait for tonight's episode. I'm hoping that it'll be big improvement over last year's mess :rolleyes:

I see this episode is a one-off. I thought the other Christmas specials were too :confused:

Well it is a one off as it aint part of a series
  • Crawley CutieCrawley Cutie Posts: 10,948
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    what time is it on tonight ????

9.00 PM. :)
  • gmphmacgmphmac Posts: 2,212
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BigBmad wrote: »
    Well it is a one off as it aint part of a series

Oh, I see. Were the other Christmas specials part of a series then?