Options

Best show of the year so far

Glenn AGlenn A Posts: 23,877
Forum Member
✭✭✭
For me it has to be Mrs Brown's Boys, like an Old Mother Reilly for the 21st century. The characters, the humour and the deliberately cheap sets are what make it so good.

Comments

• Options
    ganderpoke66ganderpoke66 Posts: 2,128
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Glenn A wrote: »
    For me it has to be Mrs Brown's Boys, like an Old Mother Reilly for the 21st century. The characters, the humour and the deliberately cheap sets are what make it so good.

Old fashioned, crude and homophobic more like.

2012 for the best comedy.
  • Options
    wolvesdavidwolvesdavid Posts: 10,931
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Are we allowed to vote for a sporting event. If so 2012 Olympics.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Are we allowed to vote for a sporting event. If so 2012 Olympics.

Yes the BBC do deserve some kind of award for their coverage. Also worth a mention, the Wimbledon mens final/
  • Options
    Benjamin SiskoBenjamin Sisko Posts: 1,921
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ooooh, tough... Well, I can't really say a definite, but for now, my favourites are

The BBC's Olympics 2012 Coverage
    Twenty-Twelve
    Doctor Who
    The Shadow Line
    A Mother's Son
    The Chase (Best of the game/quiz shows, more specifically).

That's all for now, I believe, but if I had to choose just one, I'd choose the Olympics Coverage. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Call The Midwife must be up there as well, along with returning favourites like George Gently and New Tricks.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 48
    Forum Member
    The Best of Men
    BBC's Olympics
    Was the second series of the Killing this year?
    The Bridge
  • Options
    Hugh JboobsHugh Jboobs Posts: 15,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Call the Midwife
    And the return of Downton Abbey!
  • Options
    NormandieNormandie Posts: 4,618
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Homeland. It had its flaws but unlike most series, I never forgot to watch it.

But coverage of both games was excellent - just so all-encompassing as to be outside normal programming.
  • Options
    davey_waveydavey_wavey Posts: 27,414
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'll have to say Line of Duty on BBC2. I was hooked. Really pleased it's coming back.
  • Options
    rr22rr22 Posts: 7,642
    Forum Member
    I'll have to say Line of Duty on BBC2. I was hooked. Really pleased it's coming back.

'Line of Duty' is the most outstanding programme from 2012 so far and not something I set out to watch or thought I would have really enjoyed to be fair. I happened to see the first episode. Glad its coming back too I hope the next series can cope with such high standards the first set. More drama needs to be written in this same dangerous unpredictable way. It made other programmes seem quite weak after watching.
  • Options
    VerenceVerence Posts: 104,605
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    JTH07 wrote: »
    The Best of Men
    BBC's Olympics
    Was the second series of the Killing this year?
    The Bridge

Nope, it was November and December of last year
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 336
    Forum Member
    Accused (Especially the first story)
    Line of duty
    Silk
    Mrs.Biggs
  • Options
    guestofsethguestofseth Posts: 5,303
    Forum Member
    Parade's End, the best period drama I've seen in years, almost everything was perfect, the performances, the writing, the way it was shot,

Runners up:
    Call the Midwife
    Homeland
    Sherlock
    and I have to agree that the BBC's coverage of the Olympics was outstanding.
  • Options
    davey_waveydavey_wavey Posts: 27,414
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    johnnymc wrote: »
    'Line of Duty' is the most outstanding programme from 2012 so far and not something I set out to watch or thought I would have really enjoyed to be fair. I happened to see the first episode. Glad its coming back too I hope the next series can cope with such high standards the first set. More drama needs to be written in this same dangerous unpredictable way. It made other programmes seem quite weak after watching.

I completely agree with you. The second series will have a challenge on its hands to match the first series, but I'm confident it'll be just as good. I think the second series will focus on a different character that is accused of being corrupt.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,618
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Glenn A wrote: »

This is perfect example of why sitcoms DON'T seem to work nowadays....it's awful!! Sat throughout one episode to see what the fuss was about and regretted the entire time I was sat there....boring, awful, crude, pathetic

My vote for worse show of the year
  • Options
    CAMERA OBSCURACAMERA OBSCURA Posts: 8,055
    Forum Member
    Off the top of my head.

Inside Men
    The BBC's Olympic coverage.
    The Shadow Line
    Line Of Duty
    Lucien Freud: Painted Life
    One Night (Especially the final episode)
    Parades End
    The Hollow Crown/ Richard II
    Pink Floyd - Wish You Were Here
    My Life In Books
    Simon Shama's Shakespeare
    Murder
    George Martin Documentary
  • Options
    allie4allie4 Posts: 11,994
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    For best dramas this year - The Accused and Homeland... but favourites are the Scandi dramas like The Bridge.. and even Those Who Kill which I think was better than our home-grown efforts on the whole.
  • Options
    ack1990ack1990 Posts: 169
    Forum Member
    Homeland
    Call the Midwife
    London 2012 Olympics
    The Bridge
    Once Upon a Time
    Accused
    Vexed
    New Tricks
  • Options
    Alli-FAlli-F Posts: 32,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Olympics if we can have anything, the Newsroom on Sky Atlantic otherwise. ;)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5
    Forum Member
    George Gently for me =)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 512
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Olympics is up there! Sherlock for definite, the series finale is one on the best bits of T.V I think I've ever seen! The Hollow Crown was excellent, been loving Doctor Who and Leaving! Too much really! Spoiled for choice! Might think of more later!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,567
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not counting the Olympics and Wimbledon the best show of the year for me is totally the US series 'Person of Interest'.

I know it aired in America in 2011 (and the second season started in the US this year) but for me the show is the best thing that been on this year series wise! It's the only series (aside from the final series of 'Hustle' at the start of the year) that has interested me tbh.

It’s a great show on every lever imo – it’s funny, well written (there’s plenty of twists and the writers don’t treat the audience like idiots), the acting is strong (Emerson rocks it as always and Caviezel is a lot better than I have previously given him credit for), the music used is top stuff (I’d like the shake the paw of the person responsible for choosing the songs used :D) and the concept is brilliant and actually quite different to the endless typical crime series out there. The characters also have depth and decent backgrounds and there are ongoing side-stories that you are drip-fed but they don’t take over every episode, nor is every episode just a “crime of the week” type thing. Good stuff imo. It’s easily the best series of 2011/2012 in me eyes.
  • Options
    hello.memberhello.member Posts: 7,635
    Forum Member
    Crime Stories! :D
  • Options
    BellaRosaBellaRosa Posts: 36,590
    Forum Member
    Only one show .. How Britain Worked.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How about the BBC Two series Adolf Hitler's Dark Charisma, an insight into how Hitler won over the Germans and with plenty of colour footage from the 30s?