Options

How do we prevent car cloning?

Comments

• Options
    Regis MagnaeRegis Magnae Posts: 6,810
    Forum Member
    If I could clone old cars, I'd buy a tropical island so people could pay to see them.

I would call it Car Park.
  • Options
    tim59tim59 Posts: 47,188
    Forum Member
    Stegan wrote: »
    Not in the least - I just believe if I'm paying my road tax then so should everyone else and there is nothing wrong with checking them out. I'll bet they've already checked out my car which doesn't bother me one bit.

Her is the link if you want to give it a try - unless of course you have 'forgotten' to pay yours that is..

https://www.vehicleenquiry.service.gov.uk/that

More money in the coffers could mean we get better roads and more to spend in winter for example. People should either pay up or NOT drive. They've only themselves to blame if they get caught out and punished.

I agree people should pay, but it has not been a road tax for many years, and the days of collecting this money to spend on roads went along with with the days of scrapping the road tax and replaced it with VED
  • Options
    SteganStegan Posts: 5,039
    Forum Member
    I think they should also allow people to check the insurance status of any vehicle and be able to report evaders if found. Currently, you're only legally allowed to check your own vehicle.
  • Options
    MaxatoriaMaxatoria Posts: 17,980
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think they should also allow people to check the insurance status of any vehicle and be able to report evaders if found. Currently, you're only legally allowed to check your own vehicle.

When you visit people houses do you ask to have a look at the gas and electric meters just to confirm they aint doing anything dodgy?
  • Options
    Forum Member

Only the police really need to know this, why would you need to know
  • Options
    Forum Member
    tim59 wrote: »
    I agree people should pay, but it has not been a road tax for many years, and the days of collecting this money to spend on roads went along with with the days of scrapping the road tax and replaced it with VED

Probably true. But nonetheless, it still rankles with me that other people are just taking the you know what in evading tax payment by cloning cars.

Not only that, but cloning cars leads to misery for the victim in trying to explain away speeding or parking fines or even worse. The 'cloner' will also be uninsured which leads to other problems.

My earlier suggestions of paying people to report evaders and increasing random police checks should also be considered. Does anyone have any better ideas?
  • Options
    NX-74205NX-74205 Posts: 4,691
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Her is the link if you want to give it a try - unless of course you have 'forgotten' to pay yours that is..

https://www.vehicleenquiry.service.gov.uk/that

No thanks, all my vehicles are perfectly above board and legal. Even the ones that don't require VED payment.
  • Options
    DinkyDoobieDinkyDoobie Posts: 17,786
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Watch out Si or he'll get his scary criminal mates to pay you a visit and sort you aaaahhhtt.

My mates weren't like that, they wanted money.

They had guns and all sorts of stuff, i'm still pretty confused about the mortar... dont know wtf they were going to do with that.

I guess thats the difference between a street gang and an organised one, with people living in half million pound houses, owning their own business and importing their own gear ;-)

Although they're all in the nick. :o
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Probably true. But nonetheless, it still rankles with me that other people are just taking the you know what in evading tax payment by cloning cars.

Not only that, but cloning cars leads to misery for the victim in trying to explain away speeding or parking fines or even worse. The 'cloner' will also be uninsured which leads to other problems.

My earlier suggestions of paying people to report evaders and increasing random police checks should also be considered. Does anyone have any better ideas?
    The police do randon checks all the time, but with modern technology they dont need to stop a car to do these checks ANPR in police cars is a great bit of kit and most towns and citys have ANPR cameras set up on alot of the roads. Tax disc did not stop cars being cloned.
  • Options
    MaxatoriaMaxatoria Posts: 17,980
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

we might as well have an east german stazi style system to keep you happy where everyone watches each other incase they are a state sanctioned snitch. The amount of vehicle tax evasion is negligable compared to the government sanctioned tax fiddles allowed to big business, but if you want to get things moving start getting FOI's on plod traffic policies and ask them to be more strict - you'll be the most popular man in the town when they decide to do a full vehicle inspection on every car on the road at 8:30 on a monday morning just to make you happy
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Maxatoria wrote: »
    When you visit people houses do you ask to have a look at the gas and electric meters just to confirm they aint doing anything dodgy?

Well, assuming of course you are a driver and road legal, how would you like to be involved in an accident with an uninsured car? Even if you don't drive, what if it happened to a member of your family that does?

I would suggest your attitude might be slightly different in such circumstances. You would be then wishing that someone HAD reported the uninsured driver that put you or a loved one in hospital on a life support machine
  • Options
    Forum Member
    The police do randon checks all the time, but with modern technology they dont need to stop a car to do these checks ANPR in police cars is a great bit of kit and most towns and citys have ANPR cameras set up on alot of the roads. Tax disc did not stop cars being cloned.

Quite true. However, I do believe their abolition will increase the number of cloned cars on the road.

I've seen the odd roadside check - but they are pretty rare. As things currently stand, I suggest it would be fairly easy for someone to decide to clone a vehicle and get away with it if they drive carefully and don't put themselves on the police radar.

The DVLA vehicle enquiry option is one way of checking untaxed vehicles without an MOT.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Maybe the local police should switch on their ANPR systems and drive up and down every road/street/avenue/lane over a given period of time to nail as many of these tax evaders as possible. When found, just have the car towed away and then take the criminal to court in due course.

They could do this late at night or early in the morning when their is less happening.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Quite true. However, I do believe their abolition will increase the number of cloned cars on the road.

I've seen the odd roadside check - but they are pretty rare. As things currently stand, I suggest it would be fairly easy for someone to decide to clone a vehicle and get away with it if they drive carefully and don't put themselves on the police radar.

The DVLA vehicle enquiry option is one way of checking untaxed vehicles without an MOT.
    Depends what you mean road side checks are rare, the thing is they dont have pull a car over to check it out anymore, alot of police cars have ANPR cameras in and scan number plates has they are driving along, also alot of fixed site ANPR cameras are watched at a contol centre, and then there is the ones they can set up on bridges looking over the motorway like this one. http://youtu.be/QKJZXZA2vOA
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Depends what you mean road side checks are rare, the thing is they dont have pull a car over to check it out anymore, alot of police cars have ANPR cameras in and scan number plates has they are driving along, also alot of fixed site ANPR cameras are watched at a contol centre, and then there is the ones they can set up on bridges looking over the motorway like this one. http://youtu.be/QKJZXZA2vOA

The ANPR system would only flag up the 'cloned' car if it has already been reported or the driver has been stopped and their details found to be incorrect.

As I say, if the driver of the cloned car is careful and doesn't get themselves stopped by the police for ANY reason they would have a much greater chance of not being discovered and continuing to break the law.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    The ANPR system would only flag up the 'cloned' car if it has already been reported or the driver has been stopped and their details found to be incorrect.

As I say, if the driver of the cloned car is careful and doesn't get themselves stopped by the police for ANY reason they would have a much greater chance of not being discovered and continuing to break the law.

But having a tax disc did not stop cars being cloned, what did help was the regulations on number plates, that only licenced places can sell number plates and the number plate must have the company name of who made the number plates on the number plate, and the person needing the number plate had to have the documents to the car and show photo ID of themselves and the company have to keep a record of these things. What would help is having car has all its glasses engraved with the car reg number
  • Options
    jonmorrisjonmorris Posts: 21,773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

It's a risk though. You could be stopped for a number of reasons. Even though they can't stop you at random, they clearly do and I've been stopped at night with very feeble excuses ('we thought the spacing on your plate was wrong, but now we can see it's fine' and 'we weren't sure you were wearing your seatbelt but can now see you were')

And this was simply because they want the excuse to see if you might have had a drink, but can't stop you for this reason!

Now they might not start to do any more checks after that, but if they decide to do any - checking your details, you now have to give your name and address - but it won't match. Do you now know the details of the owner? What about insurance? You surely won't have got a policy on that car, and most policies don't automatically allow cover for any car these days - even third party only.

Basically, you're busted.

So I doubt it's something many people would do, except for the examples given above, like stealing fuel - and that can be solved by making people pay up front, either cash or a card with chip and pin (thus giving the petrol station authorisation up to a set amount, and stopping the pump at that limit).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    But having a tax disc did not stop cars being cloned, what did help was the regulations on number plates, that only licenced places can sell number plates and the number plate must have the company name of who made the number plates on the number plate, and the person needing the number plate had to have the documents to the car and show photo ID of themselves and the company have to keep a record of these things. What would help is having car has all its glasses engraved with the car reg number

The cloned car could also have all its' windows engraved with the cloned registration number if they were really serious about evading road tax.

Maybe some information could be placed on the registration plate itself which would 'personalize' it in some way? This could be checked in the same way a tax disc could be.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    jonmorris wrote: »
    It's a risk though. You could be stopped for a number of reasons. Even though they can't stop you at random, they clearly do and I've been stopped at night with very feeble excuses ('we thought the spacing on your plate was wrong, but now we can see it's fine' and 'we weren't sure you were wearing your seatbelt but can now see you were')

And this was simply because they want the excuse to see if you might have had a drink, but can't stop you for this reason!

Now they might not start to do any more checks after that, but if they decide to do any - checking your details, you now have to give your name and address - but it won't match. Do you now know the details of the owner? What about insurance? You surely won't have got a policy on that car, and most policies don't automatically allow cover for any car these days - even third party only.

It is certainly a risk - which could prove devastating. But my concern is that more people will be tempted to try it. The lack of a tax disc will make people think there is a greater chance of getting away with it than ever before.

Basically, you're busted.

So I doubt it's something many people would do, except for the examples given above, like stealing fuel - and that can be solved by making people pay up front, either cash or a card with chip and pin (thus giving the petrol station authorisation up to a set amount, and stopping the pump at that limit).

It is certainly a risk - which could prove devastating. But my concern is that more people will be tempted to try it. The lack of a tax disc will make people think there is a greater chance of getting away with it than ever before.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The tax disc will not make a blind bit of difference. If you're stopped by the cops with a cloned plate, the disc is the least of your worries.

Remember, the police will almost certainly do a check before they pull you. They already know if it's taxed, with an MOT and insured (or more importantly, there's no insurance for that vehicle).

The police pretty much stopped looking at tax discs ages ago, hence the decision to stop displaying them. There's no need for the odd police officer on foot that might spot an out of date disc (and I bet they'd not be looking anyway - and certainly not close up enough to spot a fake or one for the wrong plate) or council parking warden that can do a check when entering the plate on their ticketing machine.

Anyone who wants to clone still can as they do now, but the risk probably means it's not worth it. The real benefit would be for theft of petrol, avoiding speeding tickets and parking offences - and all of those will mean the plate becomes marked, so you'd need to change plates again and again.
  • Options
    jsmith99jsmith99 Posts: 20,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not in the least - I just believe if I'm paying my road tax then so should everyone else and there is nothing wrong with checking them out. I'll bet they've already checked out my car which doesn't bother me one bit..........................

So would you agree that people who won't pay their credit card, or other, bills, increase the costs for those who do?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    https://www.vehicleenquiry.service.gov.uk/

Walk along the street and enter all the plates and you can still have your 'fix' Stegan. Hell, just take photos of all the cars and check them all when you get home.

Whatever floats your boat and all that.

I must admit that I have looked at tax discs a few times in car parks to see if those parked in disabled parking spaces had NIL value discs. As I suspected, well over 50% didn't, which means the badge is most likely being used in another vehicle (I say that as not everyone with a blue badge qualifies for zero VED). Now there's nothing to stop a genuine badge holder travelling in another car of course, but it does still suggest an increased likelihood of people borrowing a badge from the genuine holder and using it to park - or indeed that the badge might be fake/stolen.

However, I have no authority to check if my suspicions are correct (even though I believe they are!) and it was just personal curiosity. And even I can still check that online if I so desire, which I don't. In fact, it's even easier if I can take a photo and check somewhere else instead of looking like a real weirdo going up to each windscreen!
  • Options
    U96U96 Posts: 13,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Only a Trunkmonkey will stop cloning in it's tracks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JV-XEiUOjYE
  • Options
    Forum Member

Its not as easy as you think to get a set of number plates made up,https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CCMQFjAA&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.gov.uk%2Fdisplaying-number-plates%2Fgetting-number-plates-made-up&ei=jfYEVOqFJ43WaszXgbAF&usg=AFQjCNEMie1hU_oxUHYvVUSEA4SyFGM9Pg&bvm=bv.74115972,d.d2s
  • Options
    Duffman2000Duffman2000 Posts: 1,372
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Evo102 wrote: »
    Tamper proof number plates would be a start.

http://www.carcalluk.com/theft-resistant-number-plates/index.html

Intriguing...... :)