Options

"Noone likes the tangerines" (spec)

Sara_PeplowSara_Peplow Posts: 1,579
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Is it just a quip or something more ?. Moffat does like layers and more then one meaning. Does it mean temptation forbidden fruit ?. Or maybe something else.
Traditionally children got them in their stockings with other gifts like sweets and nuts.
If you were poor I suppose it helped your diet get a few essential vitamins and minerals. Doctor as a doctor of medicine and other things should be promoting a healthy lifestyle. Maybe Moffat is rebelling against the obesity crisis. Sugar was a big one this year. Saying how it is as addictive as some drugs and very bad for you. Previously it has been anything with salt or fat in it. Whatever happens look forward to Last Christmas. Doctor ,Clara and Santa on an adventure. :):p

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 66
    Forum Member
    Case of reading far to much into it there mate.
  • Options
    Zeppelyn56Zeppelyn56 Posts: 455
    Forum Member
    No idea what quote your referring to but if its to do with tangerines in Christmas stockings then those of us a certain age will surely understand.

Ask Granny McSmith, she would definitely understand.
  • Options
    Crocodile TearsCrocodile Tears Posts: 245
    Forum Member
    Is it just a quip or something more ?. Moffat does like layers and more then one meaning. Does it mean temptation forbidden fruit ?. Or maybe something else.
    Traditionally children got them in their stockings with other gifts like sweets and nuts.
    If you were poor I suppose it helped your diet get a few essential vitamins and minerals. Doctor as a doctor of medicine and other things should be promoting a healthy lifestyle. Maybe Moffat is rebelling against the obesity crisis. Sugar was a big one this year. Saying how it is as addictive as some drugs and very bad for you. Previously it has been anything with salt or fat in it. Whatever happens look forward to Last Christmas. Doctor ,Clara and Santa on an adventure. :):p

^Sara, having read your post very carefully and considered all the possibilities, symbolisms, multiple-layers and double-meanings, I have come to the conclusion that you're probably mad.
  • Options
    sebbie3000sebbie3000 Posts: 5,188
    Forum Member

Sugar is categorically not physically addictive in humans. Numerous studies have disproved that theory. Some types of rat have addictive responses to sugar, as do mice. But those studies failed to show a link with sugar being addictive in humans, because it isn't!
  • Options
    CD93CD93 Posts: 13,939
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Case of reading far to much into it there mate.

After just the Children in Need clip, I would have agreed. But they're making them pretty significant.

http://www.radiotimes.com/news/2014-12-06/doctor-who-christmas-special-what-is-the-significance-of-the-tangerines
  • Options
    Michael_EveMichael_Eve Posts: 14,460
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Capaldi was into punk so maybe the Twelth Doctor doesn't like prog/krautrock? (one for the teenagers....)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Okay, as someone with an Internet Diploma in Psychology, I'm going to have to ask everyone to stop posting in this thread as it may be harming the OP. (CD93's and Sebbie3000's comments are particularly unhelpful as they legitimise this tangerine hypothesis and encourage it to become more deeply entrenched.)

Sara_Peplow is suffering from what we in the psychological profession call an "idée fixe" - or "fixed idea". The online dictionary defines "idée fixe" as, "The reality of obsession - incessant return to the same few themes, scenarios and questions; its meticulous examination and re-examination of banal minutiae for hidden meanings that simply aren't there."

In this scenario, the patient sees a picture of Peter Capaldi holding a tangerine. She thinks it means something. Then she hears Peter Capaldi mention tangerines and her idée fixe is further engrained into her psyche.

In reality, tangerines will have absolutely no significance whatsoever in the Christmas special. I stake my professional reputation on it.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 255
    Forum Member
    You're all wrong.
    They're Zygon testicles. :o
  • Options
    Michael_EveMichael_Eve Posts: 14,460
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ProfMarius wrote: »
    You're all wrong.

:D

Well, that theory puts a different slant on those photographs. Doctor Capaldi is a sadistic pervert then?

(Whoops, sorry Dr Crocodile Tears.)
  • Options
    WebslarkWebslark Posts: 18,946
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You're all wrong.

Or Vervoid podlings? :o
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 255
    Forum Member
    Webslark wrote: »
    Or Vervoid podlings? :o

:o:D
  • Options
    WebslarkWebslark Posts: 18,946
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Or maybe they are just taking the pith?
  • Options
    stocklenstocklen Posts: 4,696
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    clearly its a zygon hemorrhoid.

Anyhoo don't be mean to the OP.
    .. although she does seem to put (spec) in every title - most threads in here are speculative to be fair.
    a nice bit of punctuation and liberal use of paragraphs might make it a bit easier to read - as without it often comes across as an unstructured regurgitated brain dump!

but this is a place for everyone to enjoy after all.
  • Options
    Isambard BrunelIsambard Brunel Posts: 6,598
    Forum Member
    What do tangerines contain? Pips!

What are the pips for? Time!

Who controls time? The Timelords!

What colour is Gallifrey? Burnt tangerine!

The Timelords are back! Tangerines are actually Timelord technology that combine chameleon arches with stasis cubes. This is where Gallifrey is hidden. On Christmas day, salvation will come when all the people on Earth peel open their tangerines and release it back into the waking world. See? Rassilon was right!
  • Options
    PabloJPabloJ Posts: 261
    Forum Member
    Okay, as someone with an Internet Diploma in Psychology,
    Internet diploma?? Says it all! :D

I'm going to have to ask everyone to stop posting in this thread
    Sorry, only the mods can close a thread. :p

Sara_Peplow is suffering from what we in the psychological profession call an "idée fixe".
    "We in the psychological profession" LOL!
    I don't think the OP is the one suffering from delusions!

In this scenario, the patient sees a picture of Peter Capaldi holding a tangerine.
    ^So the OP is ur patient now?! :o
    Are you sure you're not the patient and are writing this from an institution?

In reality, tangerines will have absolutely no significance whatsoever in the Christmas special. I stake my professional reputation on it.
    1) You have no 'professional opinion' to put at stake.
    2) I think its clear that tangerines most definitely will have some significance in the Christmas special.

So much for internet diplomas! I'd ask for my money back mate! :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    @Pablo J
    ^Erm..... one word: Sarcasm!

However, I do hope I didn't offend the OP?
  • Options
    ukgnomeukgnome Posts: 541
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The tangerine is a throwback to Tens first xmas outing.
    Twelves line about no-one liking tangerines is the opposite of what ten said (I think)

as for sarcasm - it doesn't translate well in text, but even spoken I doubt you would of pulled it off. Of course that's just my opinion.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 158
    Forum Member
    The Doctor will regenerate into a tangerine at the end of series 9 as there's nothing to say The Doctor cannot regenerate into a tangerine
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,246
    Forum Member
    You're all wrong.

Omfg:o:o:D
  • Options
    KoquillionKoquillion Posts: 1,905
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ukgnome wrote: »
    Twelves line about no-one liking tangerines is the opposite of what ten said (I think)

That was "stupid old satsuma".
  • Options
    sandydunesandydune Posts: 10,986
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Satsuma/Tangerine, to me, to you:D Could be important. Maybe used to save the day, juggling oranges:o

The Doctor- Clara, you do know how to juggle?
    Clara- No but I can try, back to you Doctor.
    The Doctor- We are going to try, to walk and juggle
    Clara-Doctor, that's a step too far
    The Doctor-Don't worry Clara.
  • Options
    CorwinCorwin Posts: 16,607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ukgnome wrote: »

Satsuma's also made an appearance in his 2nd Xmas Special.
  • Options
    comedyfishcomedyfish Posts: 21,637
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh dear Pablo. Sounds like you need a stepladder.

That might help things to not go over your head (I wasn't going to write the explanation but... Well :D )
  • Options
    Isambard BrunelIsambard Brunel Posts: 6,598
    Forum Member
    PabloJ wrote: »
    I think its clear that tangerines most definitely will have some significance in the Christmas special.

Pablo?
  • Options
    Ethel_FredEthel_Fred Posts: 34,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pretty obvious - no-one likes Blackpool FC. :D