Options

Murder in the First (UK Pace)

swingalegswingaleg Posts: 103,121
Forum Member
✭✭✭✭
Anyone watch episode 1 of this last night ?

New drama from Steven Bochko who brought us Hill Street Blues and NYPD Blue

It's a 10 parter which follows a single murder case from the crime through the investigation, the arrest and the trial

I thought it was pretty good........good characters, easy to get in to, a couple of surprise twists, a nice looking female detective, some good station room banter (as per previous series mentioned above)........I think I can see the false trail that they're leading us along but we'll have to wait and see......:o

If you didn't see it the first episode is repeated tonight at 8.00 on Fox

A second series has already been made or is in production now

Comments

• Options
    steveh31steveh31 Posts: 13,516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks for the heads up;-)
  • Options
    LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've just finished watching the whole season. Without any spoilers I thought it was pretty good but maybe just short of being very good. I'll certainly be back for a second season. I do like these season-long crime dramas rather than every episode being neatly wrapped up in 44 minutes.

Ten episodes felt about the right length to tell the story. Had it been over a full 22/23 episode season then it would have felt too stretched out.
  • Options
    Mairi_CameronMairi_Cameron Posts: 350
    Forum Member
    I've also just finished watching the whole season, really enjoyed it. I heard the guy who played Draco Malfoy talking about it on the radio and decided to give it a go. For me the male detective was the eye candy! Anyway, I too liked the way the story spanned the whole season and I'm really glad it's coming back again this year.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I guess that anyone who is going to watch it has now seen episode one ?

Any thoughts on 'whodunit' ?

I suspect it's not the internet millionaire even tho' we're being led by the nose to suspect him. That just looks too obvious.......they could have wrapped that up in episode one

My current main suspect is the Lawyer who was in The West Wing .........the brains......and that ex-cop as the brawn

But is that too obvious as well ?
  • Options
    donna255donna255 Posts: 10,177
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Interesting the male cop having flashes of seeing his dead wife everywhere. Glad they let her die in episode one instead of dragging it out.

I doubt Millionaire would do his own dirty work, could be someone wanting to bring him down. What about the the young guy who said he cheated him out of his idea?
  • Options
    Mairi_CameronMairi_Cameron Posts: 350
    Forum Member
    Without giving any spoilers (basically I can't remember what happened in which ep so safer if I say nothing) please take my advice, record ep 8 and don't watch it til you also have ep 9 ready to go! Ideally 10 too.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Without giving any spoilers (basically I can't remember what happened in which ep so safer if I say nothing) please take my advice, record ep 8 and don't watch it til you also have ep 9 ready to go! Ideally 10 too.

Yes, it's certainly the type of show which benefits from a binge watch. At 10 episodes of 40-odd minutes each, I watched the whole lot in two sessions. I think I would have missed a lot if I'd only seen an episode a week. It might be worth people setting a series link and then watching it later.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    donna255 wrote: »
    I doubt Millionaire would do his own dirty work, could be someone wanting to bring him down. What about the the young guy who said he cheated him out of his idea?

But the first murder was done before that meeting !

........and that young guy probably wouldn't have been aware of the existence of the air stewardess

I'm pretty sure we can rule him out...........unless that's what 'they' want us to think......:o
  • Options
    anyonefortennisanyonefortennis Posts: 111,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Watched the first episode on Friday night. It was ok. A bit run of the mill so far. Tom Felton is a pretty poor actor. Shame the whole storyline seems to revolve around him.
  • Options
    MrSuperMrSuper Posts: 18,546
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Watched this on Fox and must say i really liked it. Enough so that i want to watch the next episodes.

Great to have Kathleen Robertson back on screen in a leading role after her fabulous turn in Boss and season 2 of Bates Motel, good actress.

Nice to see Richard Schiff back on screen after The West Wing. Love him. He seemed to drop off the radar after TWW i never knew where he wound up. If you want to see more of him he's also in the new Mark Wahlberg film The Gambler that's out on 23rd January.

However watching Malfroy from Harry Potter, ooops i mean Tom Felton being a total dick as Erich Blunt is probably the most enjoyable aspect of the show! :D

So the dead junkie tried to blackmail Erich and is revealed to possibly be his biological dad. That's one person dead. Then you have the air hostess who Erich was shagging and later fired and she 'falls' down the stairs and winds up dead too. This could be good!

PS. For those who have already 'acquired' and seen this, please no spoilers.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MrSuper wrote: »
    Nice to see Richard Schiff back on screen after The West Wing. Love him. He seemed to drop off the radar after TWW i never knew where he wound up. If you want to see more of him he's also in the new Mark Wahlberg film The Gambler that's out on 23rd January.

Yes, great to see him back. He brings a feeling of quality to everything he does. He has been in various shows as a special guest star over recent years but this is the first series I have seen him in since TWW.
    PS. For those who have already 'acquired' and seen this, please no spoilers.

I wouldn't dream of it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Seemed a bit strange tonight that they went to all that palaver to get a sample of Eric's DNA........I mean, when he was in the police station dismissing his lawyer and saying he wants to help why didn't they just ask him to spit in the bag so they could rule him out by DNA ?

:confused:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've been watching this every week on Fox UK and i have to say i've been really enjoying the show. Admittedly it's nothing special, but it's very well done and i'm really interested in this murder case and what's going to happen next. A lot of that is down to Tom Felton who plays a prize prick to perfection (perfect casting? :D) but also liking Hildy and English's partnership plus the added bonus of Richard Schiff and esp. James Cromwell as Blunt's badass lawyer Warren Daniels.

I was bemused when in Ep6 they fastforwarded to '6 months later' and the case went to trial. From my interpretation i didn't expect there to be a trial and they would find the killer before a trial even commenced but it still makes for good viewing.

Quite a few twists and turns esp. the latest episode that revealed Ivana to be a bit of a nutter and wrote the fake suicide note. She has a seriously creepy looking face to boot! I was annoyed when English turned down the chance to find out if Ivana killed Cindy. I certainly would have asked! When Daniels was interrogating Hildy, i thought she played a blinder and defended herself extremely well against his questioning. Great turn from Kathleen Robertson there.

3 episodes left and looking forward to how it pans out in the end.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yeah, I've stuck with it and been enjoying it as well

Hildy was pretty bad-ass in the witness box !.......:D
  • Options
    SXTonySXTony Posts: 2,927
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Quite a few twists and turns esp. the latest episode that revealed Ivana to be a bit of a nutter and wrote the fake suicide note. She has a seriously creepy looking face to boot! I was annoyed when English turned down the chance to find out if Ivana killed Cindy. I certainly would have asked! When Daniels was interrogating Hildy, i thought she played a blinder and defended herself extremely well against his questioning. Great turn from Kathleen Robertson there

If she says yes, then that means their whole case is wrong and if the defense team found out she said that (and I guess she would tell them) then it could be brought up in court and help their case. Also, as he had violated her rights, he wouldn't be able to use that confession anyway. Better to not know.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    SXTony wrote: »
    If she says yes, then that means their whole case is wrong and if the defense team found out she said that (and I guess she would tell them) then it could be brought up in court and help their case. Also, as he had violated her rights, he wouldn't be able to use that confession anyway. Better to not know.

I suppose you're right and would be more trouble than it's worth.
  • Options
    postitpostit Posts: 23,839
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Really looking forward to the next season. I loved it.
  • Options
    MrMarpleMrMarple Posts: 3,444
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've been watching this every week on Fox UK and i have to say i've been really enjoying the show. Admittedly it's nothing special, but it's very well done and i'm really interested in this murder case and what's going to happen next. A lot of that is down to Tom Felton who plays a prize prick to perfection (perfect casting? :D) but also liking Hildy and English's partnership plus the added bonus of Richard Schiff and esp. James Cromwell as Blunt's badass lawyer Warren Daniels.

I was bemused when in Ep6 they fastforwarded to '6 months later' and the case went to trial. From my interpretation i didn't expect there to be a trial and they would find the killer before a trial even commenced but it still makes for good viewing.

Quite a few twists and turns esp. the latest episode that revealed Ivana to be a bit of a nutter and wrote the fake suicide note. She has a seriously creepy looking face to boot! I was annoyed when English turned down the chance to find out if Ivana killed Cindy. I certainly would have asked! When Daniels was interrogating Hildy, i thought she played a blinder and defended herself extremely well against his questioning. Great turn from Kathleen Robertson there.

3 episodes left and looking forward to how it pans out in the end.

While I do hate the character, he's just not a good enough actor to carry the role convincingly IMO.
    Saying that though, I'm still enjoying the show and will continue watching.
    I just hope he gets jailed/gets killed/commits suicide, anything to prevent him coming back for S2.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Erich Blunt - what a motherf*cking dick! Found not guilty and then admits to killing her. What a cracking end! I just wanted to smack him in the face!

I knew it was him and i'm glad he admitted it. All i want now is for Hildy and English to get him and get him good! This is better than Broadchurch! :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Erich Blunt - what a motherf*cking dick! Found not guilty and then admits to killing her. What a cracking end! I just wanted to smack him in the face!

I knew it was him and i'm glad he admitted it. All i want now is for Hildy and English to get him and get him good! This is better than Broadchurch! :D

As they said......they can't prosecute him again for the same crime

I wonder if they'll now go for him for the murder of his biological father as English seems convinced that the guy found guilty of it is innocent
  • Options
    chrisr21chrisr21 Posts: 1,198
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    swingaleg wrote: »

I wonder if they'll now go for him for the murder of his biological father as English seems convinced that the guy found guilty of it is innocent

As there's still 2 episodes left, that's 100% what I expect will happen.
  • Options
    baggiovalderrambaggiovalderram Posts: 704
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Great show,,,you really feel the tension...looking forward to the last 2 episodes and season 2....Bochco has not lost his touch!
  • Options
    Matt35Matt35 Posts: 30,143
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This show has been biggest surprise for me. Didn't expect to like it as much as I do. Since each series is a different case, I assume that will mean tom felton won't be in it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    swingaleg wrote: »

They can't and i don't think they will but i think you're right they'll try and get him for the murder of his dad. The guy in jail already for the crime admitted to English he didn't kill him and was co-erced into taking a deal. Having said that there were 2 eyewitness who place him at the scene so i expect more twists and turns.
    Matt35 wrote: »
    This show has been biggest surprise for me. Didn't expect to like it as much as I do. Since each series is a different case, I assume that will mean tom felton won't be in it.

Yeah, it'll be a brand new murder/case for Season 2. I doubt he'll be back, same for Richard Schiff and James Cromwell.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Looking forward to the last episode of the season tomorrow.

Hildy and English just have to link Erich to Erich's grandfather killing his biological dad and he goes down. Doesn't help that his grandfather blew his brains out last episode.

Loved the exchange between Erich and David when Ivana told Erich she was leaving to start her own tech start-up company with his rival. In companies worth millions and millions of dollars i imagine that gets said a lot! :D

Erich: File a lawsuit.
    David: On what grounds?
    Erich: Find something!
    :D