Powerline adapter dropping connection

Mark.Mark. Posts: 84,896
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I've got four TP-Link 500Mbps Homeplugs, one upstairs and the others downstairs. The downstairs ones seem to keep connection no bother, but no matter which one I move upstairs, it connects fine then every couple of hours or so completely loses connection with all the others (no devices show in the manager application). Switching it off and on again gets it back, but this is a hassle if I'm, say, in the middle of watching something.

It is plugged into an extension lead (not surge-protected), but there's no other choice in our house because the sockets are on the skirting board which means the adapters don't fit. The downstairs ones are in extensions as well and don't have problems.

What's interesting, though, is that I got the 500Mbps versions to replace 200Mbps ones where I assumed the one upstairs was on its last legs because, you guessed it, the connection kept dropping.

There doesn't seem to be any pattern to the dropouts, and there's nothing switched on that could be causing sudden interference. The upstairs sockets have a different breaker in the board to the downstairs ones, but then if that were an issue surely there wouldn't be a connection at all?

Does anyone have any ideas?

Comments

• Andy2Andy2 Posts: 11,949
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Noise on the mains supply is the most likely explanation. Powerline adaptors work by squirting data into the house wiring and picking it up at the other end, but the mains is such a noisy environment it cannot be relied on for clean data transfer.
    A lot of the noise comes from household stuff like TV's, computers and anything that uses the dreaded 'switch mode power supply'. If your upstairs unit is not getting a solid signal from the others, even the click from a lightswitch or thermostat could cause it to crash. And of course your neighbour may be using his own PLA's as well....
    Frankly I hate the things. I'm a radio amateur/short wave listener and the screeching noise that PLA's make gets all over the place and ruins my hobby.
    PLA's break all the rules & regs regarding interference to other devices, so I can't say I get overly upset when they don't work.
  • flagpoleflagpole Posts: 44,641
    Forum Member
    the more plugs the worse they seem to be. so the first thing i guess would be if you could eliminate one of the plugs and replace it with some other tech like wifi or wiring it to one of your other homeplugs. even if it's just temporary.

if you have to plug them in to extension leads then they have to be the crappiest low techness you can find.

if it seems random it may be something like the fridge on it's thermostat.

incredibly i have a router whose powersupply knocks out the home plugs. the way i fixed that was to plug the PLA into the wall and the router in to the end of a long extension cable on to which i put a ferrite core. i also have a laptop whose psu does the same.

i also have a ferrite core on my washing machine. anything with a motor or a switched mode psu should have a ferrite core on it.
  • Mark.Mark. Posts: 84,896
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The fridge is a good suggestion. And if we're looking for things that switch themselves on, another thing could be the Sky box in the same room that does housekeeping from time-to-time. I'll maybe nip home via Maplin to pick up some ferrite cores.

I've managed to move the PLA out of the extension into a 2-way adapter, which is the closest it can possibly get to being directly in the wall, short of boring a hole in the floor to accommodate the ethernet cable.
  • asmasm Posts: 152
    Forum Member
    I had the same problem with Devolo 500Mbps devices. On hot days the network would run very slowly and frequently I would lose the connection. When I noticed the connection LED was red I used the monitoring software from Devolo and it showed a connection speed of 10Mbps! I have now switched to Netgear 200Mbps devices which are very stable and are actually faster between two different rings than the Devolos were, even on a good day.
  • FaustFaust Posts: 8,985
    Forum Member
    asm wrote: »
    I had the same problem with Devolo 500Mbps devices. On hot days the network would run very slowly and frequently I would lose the connection. When I noticed the connection LED was red I used the monitoring software from Devolo and it showed a connection speed of 10Mbps! I have now switched to Netgear 200Mbps devices which are very stable and are actually faster between two different rings than the Devolos were, even on a good day.

Personally I have found Devolos just about the most reliable gadgets on the planet. They perform flawlessly and cannot recommend them highly enough to family and friends (mind you they are German). I use them for our family of PVR's. Mind you we are on a modern wiring ring with no nasty extensions all over the place. The way some folk's houses are wired is a fire waiting to happen.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So, since moving the PLA into a 2-way adapter instead of an extension lead, it's so far not dropped connection (touch wood). So perhaps there was something nearby causing interference in the cable from the socket to the extension outlets.

I've also seen a speed boost, from ~150Mbps to around 290-320Mbps.
  • flagpoleflagpole Posts: 44,641
    Forum Member
    good news.

and you house hasn't burnt down?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not that I'm aware of.