Tumble (Merged)

Comments

• Hyram FyramHyram Fyram Posts: 3,389
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's a filler show for the summer. Only on DS would such a programme generate so much babbling.
  • TassiumTassium Posts: 31,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The public expect more than a "filler" from the BBC.
  • SamuelWSamuelW Posts: 8,447
    Forum Member
    Tumble made a successful start in the ratings by winning its timeslot and achievening over 20pct of the audience. Above the bbc target.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mass entertainment is very much a "bottum up" thing, it comes from society. Usually an individual with a dream/idea etc etc.

You can't have a bunch of executives creating a show like it's a jigsaw to be assembled.

These people in charge have taken over the creative process. One problem, they are not creative...

It's the same problem at CH4. Jay Hunt is her name.
  • shandersshanders Posts: 5,907
    Forum Member
    Tumble premièred with an average audience of 3.16m (20.7%).

Oh dear!
  • jlp95bwfcjlp95bwfc Posts: 18,351
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    SamuelW wrote: »
    Tumble made a successful start in the ratings by winning its timeslot and achievening over 20pct of the audience. Above the bbc target.

And yet you don't post the actual number as it would completely destroy your argument. Poor rating.
  • tobitobi Posts: 2,915
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    shanders wrote: »
    Tumble premièred with an average audience of 3.16m (20.7%).

Oh dear!

Ouch and no competition on the other main channels. Can you imagine if it was against the X factor? Even Splash got a better rating than that for its launch
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We keep seeing this approach to mass entertainment from the BBC, bland bland bland. The idea being that no one will be seriously upset by what they see.

The problem, no one is that interested in watching either...

The way to actually do it is to find a common theme that resonates with a large number of people. Something strong and relevant that connects.

But it won't come from anyone working at the BBC at the moment. You do need to be "of the people" in order to know what will resonate.
  • snafu65snafu65 Posts: 18,211
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh dear! Another c-list celeb sports based competition, sold as Strictly Come Gymnastics but more like Splash without water. Major fail. :confused:
  • snafu65snafu65 Posts: 18,211
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    SamuelW wrote: »

Curiosity value, expect that figure to er....tumble now people know how bad it is.
  • looby383xlooby383x Posts: 3,010
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I had recorded this and when I realised that it was Alex Jones, I nearly just deleted it. I wish I had. She is a poor presenter and cannot handle a show like this. She may have been better with another presenter - someone with a bit of knowledge of the area, but anyone just sharing the presenting duties would have been better.

In the end I fast forwarded through everything except the performances themselves. The participants were brave and I thought each one of them did well, but I won't be watching again. I may have watched if the BBC had chosen presenters who could provide some element of comedy or banter.
  • starkitten1982starkitten1982 Posts: 373
    Forum Member
    I had been looking forward to this show as a bit of light entertainment in the summer but was disappointed after watching the first show last night. It was rubbish, the whole concept is totally lifted from Strictly so much that it's almost a carbon copy but it just doesn't work with gymnastics.

I think Alex Jones is the wrong presenter, she came across as being totally vacuous and am puzzled why it wasn't the obvious choice of Matt Baker with his gymnastics background. The whole show seemed to have no personality of its own and was lacklustre. I might watch next week but if it's as bad as the opening show then we will be turning off.
  • jerseyporterjerseyporter Posts: 2,332
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nadia looks good after the sausage snip

You seem to enjoy making comments about people, usually women, that aren't very complimentary. Not sure why. This one has to be the worst, though. Apart from the fact she's a mother who's given birth to a son, it's very childish, not to mention insulting, to make comments about someone's appearance in such terms. Perhaps you think you are being 'funny' or 'clever' in some way? Or you're going to excuse it as 'banter'? But using those excuses to cover up inherent and unnecessary nastiness is never acceptable in anyone, and just makes them look ignorant (in the true sense of the word).

Nadia's early life as a child and young adult was awful - something none of us would have wanted for our own children, lucky as we are to be living in a country where personal freedom is deemed a right (even if some people abuse that right). She was forced to train, live, eat and sleep gymnastics, and the regime didn't care what that did to her body and physical development - but to insult her by implying that she's unfeminine isn't funny. Yes, some countries, and some sports (athletics, track and field, for example) did give their female competitors drugs to enhance their skills which had unfortunate (and unwanted) side-effects on their gender identities both superficially and internally, but gymnasts weren't part of that. They were given drugs to prevent the onset of puberty, to keep them 'little girls' with svelte bodies and no breast tissue development, so the opposite of what they tried to achieve with track and field athletes. She defected not knowing there was shortly to be a revolution in Romania - she expected to never see her family again, and even when 'the wall came down' it wasn't easy to see them again.

Still, I doubt you'll see anything wrong with your comments, and you probably think it's all very funny to get your 'communist athlete drug victims' all tarred with the same brush to make feeble jokes about how feminine, or not, people look in your eyes. And sadly, the comment of Nadia is one of several where you make disparaging comments against women on this thread (as others have also pointed out). It just happens to be the worst, which is why I'm singling it out in particular.
  • Jackie BrownJackie Brown Posts: 3,254
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You seem to enjoy making comments about people, usually women, that aren't very complimentary. Not sure why. This one has to be the worst, though. Apart from the fact she's a mother who's given birth to a son, it's very childish, not to mention insulting, to make comments about someone's appearance in such terms. Perhaps you think you are being 'funny' or 'clever' in some way? Or you're going to excuse it as 'banter'? But using those excuses to cover up inherent and unnecessary nastiness is never acceptable in anyone, and just makes them look ignorant (in the true sense of the word).

Nadia's early life as a child and young adult was awful - something none of us would have wanted for our own children, lucky as we are to be living in a country where personal freedom is deemed a right (even if some people abuse that right). She was forced to train, live, eat and sleep gymnastics, and the regime didn't care what that did to her body and physical development - but to insult her by implying that she's unfeminine isn't funny. Yes, some countries, and some sports (athletics, track and field, for example) did give their female competitors drugs to enhance their skills which had unfortunate (and unwanted) side-effects on their gender identities both superficially and internally, but gymnasts weren't part of that. They were given drugs to prevent the onset of puberty, to keep them 'little girls' with svelte bodies and no breast tissue development, so the opposite of what they tried to achieve with track and field athletes. She defected not knowing there was shortly to be a revolution in Romania - she expected to never see her family again, and even when 'the wall came down' it wasn't easy to see them again.

Still, I doubt you'll see anything wrong with your comments, and you probably think it's all very funny to get your 'communist athlete drug victims' all tarred with the same brush to make feeble jokes about how feminine, or not, people look in your eyes. And sadly, the comment of Nadia is one of several where you make disparaging comments against women on this thread (as others have also pointed out). It just happens to be the worst, which is why I'm singling it out in particular.

Brilliant post and very informative. I need a 'like' button.

I recently read about the effects of the sports drugs regime on athletes especially Eastern Bloc countries and there are some really sad and horrific accounts of what went on.
  • RichmondBlueRichmondBlue Posts: 21,279
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cylon6 wrote: »
    No excuse for that.

So who here will watch again next week? I will.

Didn't watch this week, and judging by the comments on here I didn't miss much.
    I did see the trailers, but didn't recognise any of the so-called "celebrities" shown. At least Strictly does attract a few big names every year, even if they are big names from the past.
  • thomscnthomscn Posts: 892
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Still the most famous gymnast ever!!

Olga Korbut springs to mind and Nitika Youssuf....hold on, scrap the last one, I've just remembered it was a sauce I had once :p
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    FM Lover wrote: »
    Best known for being a member of the Sugababes.

Don't think so love, you're best known for all those stories in the News of the World.

What stories in the NOTW...prey tell
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Peter Duncan tossing a woman, this could be tricky.

I am laughing my head off reading these posts, this is my favorite so far....keep them coming guys :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    smude wrote: »
    There is a lot of poor speech these days and I blame Essex.
    Don't get me going on Louis hair:o He looks like a muppet.

I believe the Muppets have just consulted their Lawyers.....it's your own fault, a line has been crossed ;-)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yet she keeps getting the work. IMO she sums up what's wrong with the BBC in general: too much money wasted on crap.

Apparently she is the only one who will take it up the a**e for her bosses ;-)
  • sixtynotoutsixtynotout Posts: 1,142
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jlp95bwfc wrote: »
    And yet you don't post the actual number as it would completely destroy your argument. Poor rating.

The best percentage rating of the night though.
  • sixtynotoutsixtynotout Posts: 1,142
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I quite enjoyed it, and am looking forward to Beth next week.

The whole thing is just a simple rework of Cirque de Celibrite though - which I also enjoyed.

I said the same thing to my husband but couldn't remember the name (said 'that circus thing' ;-) ). I enjoyed that as well although Ruby Wax slightly got on my nerves I must admit.
  • Billy_ValueBilly_Value Posts: 22,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

it was just a play on the name Nadia you know the contestant who was on big brother who used to be a man :) and i never made fun of her i said she looked good
  • sugarlequesnesugarlequesne Posts: 394
    Forum Member
    Beth Tweedle???

It would help if they had a good presenter presenting it.

And they could have shown a bit of respect by naming the gold medalist gymnasts who won lots of golds for us at The Commonwealth Games by name. They aren't just nameless backing dancers. They did even better than Louis Smith but he's treated as the celebrity.

Totally agree. Max Whitlock scarcely got a look in, yet he is Britain's best gymnast and a brilliant bet for Olympic gold. To have him as Louis Look At Me Smith's back up act was shameful
  • GiraffeGirlGiraffeGirl Posts: 13,619
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lundavra wrote: »
    I think she also said she wanted to study a sports related subject and keep an involvement in gymnastics so it is likely she has continued to train even if not to the same level as when in competition. She is probably a lot fitter than any of us here, especially the keyboard warriors. :)

Oh I'm sure she is. I wasn't intending to be disparaging, just wondering if retired gymnasts routines will have the 'wow' factor off the back of the Commonwealth Games performances we saw mere weeks ago.

Tbf, I didn't mind the show. It was just so LOOOOOOOONG and the judges were inane.