Gary Speed has died

Comments

• JokanovicJokanovic Posts: 12,186
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Whatever caused it is bound to come out in the end but was just reading that only yesterday he was laughing and joking with Robbie Savage talking football and dancing.
    Bit surprised they are asking Welsh players to play a game now.
  • BigBmadBigBmad Posts: 18,278
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Im utterly shocked, cudos to the Swansea team for going ahead with the game at a time like this
  • MandarkMandark Posts: 47,963
    Forum Member
    shelleyj89 wrote: »
    This just shows that it's often the people you don't expect are the ones who are suffering.
    Yes, this issue of depression was supposed to being looked into by footballing authorities after German goalie Robert Enke committed suicide a couple of years back. His career was on the up as well. Shocking!!
  • InspirationInspiration Posts: 62,705
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sometimes people are very good at hiding what's really going on inside their heads.
  • JSemple3JSemple3 Posts: 8,652
    Forum Member
    Absolute disbelief. They didn't start Super Sunday with the usual music for obvious reasons. Sad day for football in general.

R.I.P Gary
  • Super_FurrySuper_Furry Posts: 774
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Always seemed like a top bloke.
    This is a great shock.
    R.I.P. Gary.
  • John DoughJohn Dough Posts: 146,561
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    BigBmad wrote: »
    Im utterly shocked, cudos to the Swansea team for going ahead with the game at a time like this

Perhaps because people will have travelled from the Midlands they feel it wouldn't be fair and could cause trouble because some people will always kick up a fuss even in such circumstances.:rolleyes:

Sad news. RIP Gary.:(
  • Tel69Tel69 Posts: 26,989
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wow, didn't see that coming. Awful news.:(
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    John Dough wrote: »
    Perhaps because people will have travelled from the Midlands they feel it wouldn't be fair and could cause trouble because some people will always kick up a fuss even in such circumstances.:rolleyes:

Sad news. RIP Gary.:(

Yeah that will more then likely be the reason, will be a very surreal atmosphere.

As the Villa manager just pointed out Jenas and Given played with him at Newcastle too.
  • MandarkMandark Posts: 47,963
    Forum Member
    Swansea fans look glum on TV.
  • StendersFan2011StendersFan2011 Posts: 248
    Forum Member
    Just shocking news and utterly heartbreaking with the reported circumstances of his death, RIP Gary and thoughts go out to his family and friends. :(
  • jill1812jill1812 Posts: 12,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BigBmad wrote: »
    Yeah that will more then likely be the reason, will be a very surreal atmosphere.

As the Villa manager just pointed out Jenas and Given played with him at Newcastle too.

The players may want to carry on as normal too.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Such sad news about a model player and man. Only hope that his poor family and friends can find strength in this terrible time. I remember his time at Leeds with extreme fondness but at times like this it doesn't matter which team you support. RIP Gary.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jill1812 wrote: »
    The players may want to carry on as normal too.

Yeah thats true, as someone said the best way to mourn the death of a footballer is to play football
  • bhoy07bhoy07 Posts: 25,036
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Some in the Liberty stadium are unaware of the news, no official announcement has been made at the ground yet.
  • shelleyj89shelleyj89 Posts: 16,292
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    On the subject of the game going ahead, I think it's right too. If the players who knew him want to play, then it's right to play. Some good friends of his will be playing today - Jenas, Given and Collins, and Bellamy this afternoon. Let's hope they can all do him proud today.
  • EurostarEurostar Posts: 78,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My goodness, just heard the news a moment ago......how desperately sad :(

His Welsh team were really going places too.....I've had them down as potential qualifiers for the next World Cup given their fantastic rate of improvement.
  • Norman GormanNorman Gorman Posts: 205
    Forum Member
    Hard to add much to what has been said but a complete professional in all respects and a tragic loss.

Shocked to the core when I heard. My thoughts are with his family and all those involved in football who will be deeply affected by this news.
  • grimtales1grimtales1 Posts: 46,695
    Forum Member
    Bloody hell :eek: :eek:
    Reading on BBC he took his own life :( He was on Football Focus just yesterday I think.
    Truly shocking.
    RIP :(
  • Gizmo210688Gizmo210688 Posts: 4,504
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A minutes silence turns into a minutes applause at Swansea, along with chants of 'There's only one Gary Speed.' Great to see.
  • Muttley76Muttley76 Posts: 97,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A minutes silence turns into a minutes applause at Swansea, along with chants of 'There's only one Gary Speed.' Great to see.

I didn't really like it, it doesn't seem an appropriate response a couple of hours after someones shocking and unexpected death has been announced. Observing the minutes silence would have been more appropriate for me. :(
  • Alli-FAlli-F Posts: 32,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mandark wrote: »
    Yes, this issue of depression was supposed to being looked into by footballing authorities after German goalie Robert Enke committed suicide a couple of years back. His career was on the up as well. Shocking!!

Stan Collymore is going through something similar at the moment too..

As a Welsh person, I'm so sad, he was such an inspiration. His poor family! :cry::cry::cry:
  • EurostarEurostar Posts: 78,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mandark wrote: »

Reminds me too of what happened with Irish Olympic boxer Darren Sutherland a couple of years ago as well. He won a medal at Beijing, was a warm, charismatic and intelligent young man and his career was on the up : everyone was deeply shocked when the poor guy took his own life.
  • Unigal07Unigal07 Posts: 22,326
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Saw a comment on BBC Football from somone on Twitter which I thought was quite apt:
    Kurt Sullivan on Twitter: "The best way for the football community to mourn the death of a footballer, is to play football."

Well done to the players today for having the strength to go out there and play. I'm sure Gary is in their thoughts today.
  • ChizzlefaceChizzleface Posts: 8,221
    Forum Member

I thought it was a very fitting tribute. I've always much preferred a minute's applause over a silence, because it's easy for idiots to ruin a silence but they can't ruin an applause.

Lovely from all the fans today.