Andrew Mitchell resigns

Comments

• anndra_wanndra_w Posts: 6,557
    Forum Member
    AndyTSJ wrote: »
    Really? How many times did Peter Mandelson resign in Government? Under Blair, Labour had seven government ministers resign in a single day. I know it doesn't fit your agenda, but perspective is the word.

I don't think this is majorly significant either but the difference with Labour then was at one time they had a lot of good will on their side and the coalition doesn't have that luxury.
  • PeggysDadPeggysDad Posts: 928
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Telegraph quotes his resignation letter
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/9621407/Government-Chief-Whip-Andrew-Mitchell-resigns.html

"I have made clear to you – and I give you my categorical assurance again – that I did not, never have and never would call a police officer a ‘pleb’ or a ‘moron’ or used any of the other pejorative descriptions attributed to me. The offending comment and the reason for my apology to the police was my parting remark ‘I thought you guys were supposed to f***ing help us’. It was obviously wrong of me to use such bad language and I am very sorry about it and grateful to the police officer for accepting my apology."

Either he is lying or the policewoman's notebook is in error? This affair is not over. He is saying the police evidence is untrue.

I thought he said during PMQ's this week that he didn't swear?!
  • Auld SnodyAuld Snody Posts: 15,171
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Really? How many times did Peter Mandelson resign in Government? Under Blair, Labour had seven government ministers resign in a single day. I know it doesn't fit your agenda, but perspective is the word.

And I laughed out loud as I am no fan of Labour either. So no agenda from me.
  • BelligerenceBelligerence Posts: 40,613
    Forum Member
    About time.
  • AndyTSJAndyTSJ Posts: 1,656
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Auld Snody wrote: »
    And I laughed out loud as I am no fan of Labour either. So no agenda from me.

Fair enough.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,688
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    PeggysDad wrote: »

I think the argument is he didn't swear AT the police. Not that he didn't swear.
  • David TeeDavid Tee Posts: 22,833
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    PeggysDad wrote: »

I think he did which is weird since even by his own earlier confession he admitted to swearing. I can only presume he was talking about the pleb section of the officers statement - which also involved swearing.

This is the second victory the Tory backbenchers can claim and they'll be growing in confidence. Cameron needs to be very careful from here on.
  • Jo MarchJo March Posts: 9,256
    Forum Member
    erazertf wrote: »
    Hope the gates smack him on the way out this time
    :D:D:D
  • John259John259 Posts: 28,466
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Presumably this has been timed to divert attention from the latest expenses scandal (MP's renting their taxpayer funded flats to each other).

The PM took far too long to sack Mitchell. That delay won't do Cameron's reputation any good.
  • Syntax ErrorSyntax Error Posts: 27,803
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What a silly pleb Andrew Mitchell is!:o

He toughs it out for month, all the time the story was 'hot', denies saying the 'P' word, then finally gets the backing of the Prime Minister & the Conservative One Foot In The Grave Society (aka the 1922 Committee), then decides to resign!:mad:

If he was going to resign, why didn't he do it weeks ago?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Sun's report where they quote what the official police log says. Someone is telling porkies.
    http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/4556040/Andrew-Mitchell-chief-whip-conservatives-gate-gate-police-log.html
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 14,922
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What a silly pleb Andrew Mitchell is!:o

He toughs it out for month, all the time the story was 'hot', denies saying the 'P' word, then finally gets the backing of the Prime Minister & the Conservative One Foot In The Grave Society (aka the 1922 Committee), then decides to resign!:mad:

If he was going to resign, why didn't he do it weeks ago?

Because no-one knew about the rent swap arrangements of MP's and Osborne wasn't trying to pull another fast one weeks ago?
  • VoynichVoynich Posts: 14,481
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Let's face it, he was detested by a large number of people even in his own party. Cameron should not have defended him.
  • SanguiniusSanguinius Posts: 1,723
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Voynich wrote: »
    Let's face it, he was detested by a large number of people even in his own party. Cameron should not have defended him.

What choice did he have? As soon as Labour were calling for Mitchell to be sacked he was never going to do it. He was either going to resign or stay in the job.
  • hustedhusted Posts: 5,287
    Forum Member
    Daily Telegraph's Deputy Editor.

Andrew Mitchell's badly timed resignation will reinforce the impression that the Government is run by amateurs
    http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/benedictbrogan/100185784/andrew-mitchells-badly-timed-resignation-will-reinforce-the-impression-that-the-government-is-run-by-amateurs/
    Those of us who report on Westminster have had no shortage of material provided by those who know him. Yesterday, for example, a chum of his told me he uses the word "pleb" all the time. Another contact assured me that John Randall, the little-known but highly respected deputy chief whip, recently told the PM he would resign rather than work with Mr Mitchell, and was persuaded to hold fire.
  • John259John259 Posts: 28,466
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ^^ And that's the Telegraph, about as Tory as is possible!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My local MP interviewed on Sky. He said anyone swearing at police in this way would be arrested straight away and spend the night in the cells. It struck me that this was not actually true. Mitchell was warned about his conduct. And told he would be arrested if he continued to swear. I think this is pretty standard practice isn't it.

I've a mind to write to my MP and question him on this matter. I don't think it helps the debate for an MP to be speaking like this. So have I got it correct?
  • SanguiniusSanguinius Posts: 1,723
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    John259 wrote: »
    ^^ And that's the Telegraph, about as Tory as is possible!

The Telegraph hates Cameron, it has for years. More UKipgraph than Torygraph these days.
  • lemoncurdlemoncurd Posts: 57,778
    Forum Member
    The lesson is:
    Never call another person a pleb, or you will forfeit your job.
  • northantsgirlnorthantsgirl Posts: 4,663
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Success all round! Cameron yet again comes off weak for letting this drag on whilst the government will now really want to get the Police Federation and the overpaid arrogant members they represent. Who says there are no good news stories any more! :)
  • Ethel_FredEthel_Fred Posts: 34,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lemoncurd wrote: »
    The lesson is:
    Never call another person a pleb, or you will forfeit your job.
    It's OK to call people plebs, just as long as you aren't viewed as "arrogant posh boys who don't know the price of milk - who show no remorse, no contrition and no passion to want to understand the lives of others"
  • Cissy FairfaxCissy Fairfax Posts: 11,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Is this trivial sh1t still going on?

There are at least five news.stories which out-do this today.
  • kibblerokkibblerok Posts: 1,878
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

What's your point? Are you saying because the last Government were shite, this one is allowed to take it to another level with impunity and we should just accept it?

Get a grip. The Government of the day are in charge now and are responsible for current events.

Allowing the conversation to get into 'well you did this' as a rebuttal for every cock up doesn't hold those responsible accountable and gets the electorate nowhere.
  • VoynichVoynich Posts: 14,481
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Is this trivial sh1t still going on?

There are at least five news.stories which out-do this today.

He only resigned a few hours ago.
  • Judge MentalJudge Mental Posts: 18,593
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    About time too.

Osborne next please.