County Cricket 2013

Comments

• swingalegswingaleg Posts: 103,095
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    anyone not yet seen Fat Sam falling on his backside and getting run out the other day...............

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=or_yD9kzQ_c

:D

Poor Samit..............I'd have though someone from the opposition would have given him a 'hard luck, mate' pat on the back.............even his batting partner just seemed to ignore him...............:eek:
  • alanwarwicalanwarwic Posts: 28,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Seems Adil's century was against Lanacashire in the 3 day friendly.

Seems Yorkshire are encouraging him to also become more a batsman(necessity?) so he might well be in a number 6 next match.
    Interesting, as last season, his batting had somehow got to be nearly as bad as Stuart Broad's is.
  • GrecomaniaGrecomania Posts: 19,590
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The only reason Rashid was playing this match, was rafiq's injury.

Still he responded well, but Rafiq is just so much a better bowler.
  • alanwarwicalanwarwic Posts: 28,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yup, thus that batting strategy to help justify a team place.

The life of a spin bowler is quite tough in England with 3 or 4 strike bowlers and maybe 1 spinner the norm.
  • Apple_CrumbleApple_Crumble Posts: 21,748
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The only reason Rashid was playing this match, was rafiq's injury.

Still he responded well, but Rafiq is just so much a better bowler.

There isn't much in it. Rafiq can be more economical and has been in good form since last year but Rashid can sure spin the ball and has better averages across all three formats. Rashid is the better batsman though Rafiq is still learning his craft. The problem, however, with Rashid is that he has struggled with consistency for the past two years - hence why Rafiq has been picked recently.
  • HaydenHayden Posts: 32,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Magnificent survival draw from the County Champions at Somerset.
  • Chris1964Chris1964 Posts: 19,786
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hayden wrote: »
    Magnificent survival draw from the County Champions at Somerset.

Yes I saw the last few overs on SKY. Have to say Somerset will be kicking themselves, and particularly Trescothick who failed to enforce a follow-on which would have almost certainly meant easy victory. Simply magnificent defence by Warwickshire still trying to win the game for the most part and then lasting 20 overs with the last pair.
  • dtcdtcdtcdtcdtcdtc Posts: 16,991
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Good effort from Warwicks but a diabolical 'not out' decision from Nick Cook
  • dtcdtcdtcdtcdtcdtc Posts: 16,991
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Craig Kieswetter fractured his thumb and is out for 6 weeks+
    Doesn't do his chances of getting back in the England frame much good.
  • GrecomaniaGrecomania Posts: 19,590
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There isn't much in it. Rafiq can be more economical and has been in good form since last year but Rashid can sure spin the ball and has better averages across all three formats. Rashid is the better batsman though Rafiq is still learning his craft. The problem, however, with Rashid is that he has struggled with consistency for the past two years - hence why Rafiq has been picked recently.

I'd say there's masses in it. I know the averages, but over the last couple of years, Adill keeps on getting smashed. Taking two wickets in this innings so far, but going at close to 5 an over. There's no control there, it's as much a part of a spinners job as wickets.

edit: ever since that he's bowled a few cheap overs, typical.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,360
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm a big Adil Rashid fan and hopefully Asim Rafiq's misfortune will be the break he needs. For whatever reason he stagnated in 2011 and 2012 but seems to have regained his mojo to some extent this season. His half century at Chester Le Street last week was a key component in our victory in terms of keeping Joe Root company and he bowled ok at Headingley when I was there on Monday in pretty unresponsive conditions- Chesney Hughes played a heck of an innings as batting became easier later in the day. By all accounts Asim Rafiq's more of an extrovert and may well become skipper in all formats of the game in years to come.It will be interesting to see how both of their careers develop-I'd say at this stage Rashid is the better batsmen and if he can regain his bowling form of a few years back they may well be bowling in tandem when the long hot summer begins :)
  • SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I am not calling for Compton to be dropped from the England side but Root must open with Cook.
  • Apple_CrumbleApple_Crumble Posts: 21,748
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It was a wonderful innings by Root and Bairstow yesterday. That is Root's second FC double-century. Bairstow, 186, finished with a strike rate of 96!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,872
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Amazing win for Yorkshire winning by an innings after Derbyshire got 475 in their first innings :eek:
    Brooks with 5-40, and Yorkshire up to top 3 in the table at least I think, great turnaround after the first game :)
  • SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    3 $pirit wrote: »
    Amazing win for Yorkshire winning by an innings after Derbyshire got 475 in their first innings :eek:
    Brooks with 5-40, and Yorkshire up to top 3 in the table at least I think, great turnaround after the first game :)

Great performance by Yorkshire. :)Bad luck Hughes :o:o
  • BrettBrett Posts: 618
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    amazing win for durham
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,360
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stunning by Yorkshire today.I thought the signings of Plunkett and Brooks were shrewd as Sidebottom will miss a few games here and there given his advancing years.They both played their parts today-Plunkett with the crucial break throughs and Brooks mopping up the tail.In the absence of Bluey and Root in the next few weeks the other batsmen need to dig deep to replace those runs and I still feel we're a batsman short of a truly competitive squad.Derbyshire must feel demoralised to lose by an innings after scoring close on 500 in first innings and Chesney Hughes in particular after a top innings that has kind of become overshadowed somewhat.
  • davethecuedavethecue Posts: 23,173
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Unexpected win for Lancs after being so far behind against Glamorgan
    Bowled Glamorgan out for 139 to win by 14 runs
    Kerrigan took 5 and Glenn Chapple with 4
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tennisman wrote: »

Nice photo

Bit before my time. My first game at OT. Was 1968
  • Jamesp84Jamesp84 Posts: 31,180
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    davethecue wrote: »
    Unexpected win for Lancs after being so far behind against Glamorgan
    Bowled Glamorgan out for 139 to win by 14 runs
    Kerrigan took 5 and Glenn Chapple with 4

Cracking win that. The batting is still a big worry though, Prince and Katich apart.
  • HaydenHayden Posts: 32,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jamesp84 wrote: »
    Cracking win that. The batting is still a big worry though, Prince and Katich apart.

I'm surprised Stephen Moore isn't getting a game.
    I know he had a poor season last year but he's a proven class batsman.
  • Jamesp84Jamesp84 Posts: 31,180
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hayden wrote: »
    I'm surprised Stephen Moore isn't getting a game.
    I know he had a poor season last year but he's a proven class batsman.

Yep, a bit of a mystery that one. Like you say he didn't do much last year (though tbf none of them did), but he's a better bet than Procter or Brown.
  • tennismantennisman Posts: 4,478
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    davethecue wrote: »
    Nice photo

Bit before my time. My first game at OT. Was 1968

I was only 7 then.

Went with my brother to Lords in 1964 for my first live cricket - Middx v Yorks - Freddy Trueman scored a 50.

Took a long time for me to get to OT.

It's a fantastic modern ground now but I'm not sure it's a better one - Too much concrete and too many efficious stewards standing guard as if the only thing in your mind is to charge onto the pitch.

Actually, they are all nice blokes ( I chat to them occasionally) but there's a corporate, anonymous feel that has crept over OT and I'm not sure I like it.

A far cry from this marvellous day in 1971. Watch Procter batting violently but almost effortlessly and of course, Bond, Simmonds and finally, David Hughes, winning the day at 9pm at night.

Not a steward in sight with the crowd regulating itself;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Th1MFS_O-4
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tennisman wrote: »
    I was only 7 then.

Went with my brother to Lords in 1964 for my first live cricket - Middx v Yorks - Freddy Trueman scored a 50.

Took a long time for me to get to OT.

It's a fantastic modern ground now but I'm not sure it's a better one - Too much concrete and too many efficious stewards standing guard as if the only thing in your mind is to charge onto the pitch.

Actually, they are all nice blokes ( I chat to them occasionally) but there's a corporate, anonymous feel that has crept over OT and I'm not sure I like it.

A far cry from this marvellous day in 1971. Watch Procter batting violently but almost effortlessly and of course, Bond, Simmonds and finally, David Hughes, winning the day at 9pm at night.

Not a steward in sight with the crowd regulating itself;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Th1MFS_O-4

Strangely enough , my first game at OT was against Gloucestershire in 1968

I agree about the redevelopment. It may make financial sense but the soul has gone. Ifeel that if you sneeze at the wrong time the stewards will be looking at you....