Options

UEFA qualifying rights

Comments

• Options
    cosmo crumbcosmo crumb Posts: 127
    Forum Member
    Now that UEFA have sold the rights all they have to do now is try and make the qualifying for Euro 2016 interesting, with almost half the teams going to the finals in France
  • Options
    KarlHydeKarlHyde Posts: 1,830
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mlt11 wrote: »
    Yes - will probably be set up so Scot, Wal, NI, ROI never play in same slot so Sky get to show all with no clashes.
    I'm not sure about that. UEFA's top priority will be to minimise clashes of the top nations (ESP, ITA, GER, ENG, FRA, NED, POR, RUS).
  • Options
    mlt11mlt11 Posts: 21,095
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    KarlHyde wrote: »
    I'm not sure about that. UEFA's top priority will be to minimise clashes of the top nations (ESP, ITA, GER, ENG, FRA, NED, POR, RUS).

Agreed - but I think they'll try (and should be able) to do both.

It'll be a bit like the CL - in say the last 16 there are 4 slots - they manage to keep all 4 English teams apart (when all 4 qualify!) and teams from other countries apart as well.

With 5 slots there's a lot of flexibility - should be able to satisfy all (or almost all) criteria.
  • Options
    KarlHydeKarlHyde Posts: 1,830
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, I agree they'll try. But they'll have to do it group by group so that every team has two rest days between matches, i.e. groups 1, 2, 3 play on Thursday, then Sunday. Groups 4, 5, 6 on Friday and Monday, groups 7, 8, 9 on Saturday and Tuesday. It'll be interesting to see how it all works out.

Generally, I don't like the concept of centralised kick-off times. It might be okay for the Champions League because it's THE top competition that everybody watches across the continent. But it already sucks in the Europa League, and it will be the same with national teams. The main focus is always on your own national team, so what's the point in forcing England and Portugal to play at the same time as Bulgaria and Ukraine? Portugal and Spain traditionally play at around 22:00 CET, while Eastern European countries usually kick off around 19:00 CET.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If England play away to another home nation then presumably it's an ITV / Sky simulcast.

But only thing that makes me wonder slightly is that Sky says:

"SCOTLAND, WALES, NORTHERN IRELAND AND THE REPUBLIC OF IRELAND – All matches home and away exclusively live in the UK during qualification for both tournaments."

ie no caveat if play England - if simulcast then it wouldn't be exclusively live.

http://corporate.sky.com/media/press_releases/2013/uefa_euro_2016_and_fifa_2018_world_cup_qualifiers_live_on_sky_sports
  • Options
    RadioKnowerRadioKnower Posts: 2,272
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If England play away to another home nation then presumably it's an ITV / Sky simulcast.

But only thing that makes me wonder slightly is that Sky says:

"SCOTLAND, WALES, NORTHERN IRELAND AND THE REPUBLIC OF IRELAND – All matches home and away exclusively live in the UK during qualification for both tournaments."

ie no caveat if play England - if simulcast then it wouldn't be exclusively live.

http://corporate.sky.com/media/press_releases/2013/uefa_euro_2016_and_fifa_2018_world_cup_qualifiers_live_on_sky_sports
    In that case even if it's an England home game it would be live on Sky not ITV. So it must be an oversight.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In that case even if it's an England home game it would be live on Sky not ITV. So it must be an oversight.

Yes - good point!
  • Options
    BrekkieBrekkie Posts: 24,243
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    3 $pirit wrote: »
    Do we think Sky would show all the games they have the rights to via the red button like their Champions League coverage? If they have bought the rights and have the feeds available they may as well.
    I think that is what UEFA is pushing for. When they announced their "week of football" plan they cited how in most countries people could watch the Champions League game of their choice and wanted to see something similar in place for international football, hence splitting up to 27 games over 3 or 4 time slots.

It will be fascinating to see what Sky paid for this. As others have said I'm sure in the UK they basically sold a package for each home nation, the top 20 and the rest. The new split matchdays should help Sky out too when it comes to the Home Nations - highly unlikely all 4 will be playing at the same time.
  • Options
    sparkie70sparkie70 Posts: 3,053
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Per Media Guardian:

Under the deal, ITV will also show 20 matches on ITV4. It will be allowed to show 10 games from other nations across each qualifying competition, getting the first pick of all matches not involving the home nations or Ireland for the first eight matchdays and second pick behind Sky on the climactic ninth and 10th.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2013/may/14/itv-rights-england-qualifiying-matches

But what if England get picked with Wales or Scotland?
    If SKY get to show them themselves then does the 9th & 10th matchday of non home nations become 1st pick for ITV4?.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sparkie70 wrote: »
    But what if England get picked with Wales or Scotland?
    If SKY get to show them themselves then does the 9th & 10th matchday of non home nations become 1st pick for ITV4?.

No.

The above is all about 1st picks for non Home Nation games.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No.

The above is all about 1st picks for non Home Nation games.

My understanding is that itv4 get 1st pick of non home nations from matchday 1 - 8 & 2nd pick for the other 2 matchdays.
  • Options
    stevvy1986stevvy1986 Posts: 7,088
    Forum Member
    This will actually be quite a good improvement for Sky - usually at moment vast majority of Sky's games clash with Eng on ITV.

Ironically as I've found most England games thoroughly dull for many years, I actually prefer England, Sotland, ROI, NI and Wales clashing, as I can flick between them (due to the staggered kickoff times normally) and completely ignore the England game.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sparkie70 wrote: »
    My understanding is that itv4 get 1st pick of non home nations from matchday 1 - 8 & 2nd pick for the other 2 matchdays.

Yes - that's correct.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sorry did not understand post 61.
  • Options
    ariusukariusuk Posts: 13,411
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    tvphil wrote: »
    Maybe Sky and ITV bid jointly for all the packages, and then devided them up between themselves as they wanted.

Maybe.
    I think every single association did switch to central selling - from memory I think reports suggested the English FA was the last (or one of the last) to agree to do so.

The big countries had the most to lose, and the six biggest (Germany, England, Holland, France, Spain and Italy) held out against signing up.

Eventually Germany signed, and the others quickly followed suit.
    Now that UEFA have sold the rights all they have to do now is try and make the qualifying for Euro 2016 interesting, with almost half the teams going to the finals in France
    Under the deal, ITV will also show 20 matches on ITV4. It will be allowed to show 10 games from other nations across each qualifying competition, getting the first pick of all matches not involving the home nations or Ireland for the first eight matchdays and second pick behind Sky on the climactic ninth and 10th.

As Cosmo says, half the teams in Europe will be going to the next European Championship finals. Which means the chances of matchdays 9 and 10 being climactic are pretty low.

...more likely they will all be dead rubbers.
  • Options
    BrekkieBrekkie Posts: 24,243
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just like the new expanded championships, so rather than big group games between the big teams where the loser could realistically be knocked out they'll be split more evenly over 6 groups with 4 of the 6 3rd place teams progressing to the second round anyway - so they may have an extra 20 games in Euro 2016 but arguably the 36 groups games will be far less competitive than the 24 group games they previously had.
  • Options
    Phoenix04Phoenix04 Posts: 971
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Games involving the topped rank nations won't have much affect on actual qualification since most of them are now assured a place. Games between medium ranked nations like Poland and Austria will be more meaningful.

(Although the proposed system of third place teams going into a playoff would have involved England, back in 2007)
  • Options
    loyalsinceloyalsince Posts: 6,068
    Forum Member
    Unless I've been really stupid and miscounted, do Sky show the play offs exclusivley?

What happens if England qualify for the play offs?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    loyalsince wrote: »
    Unless I've been really stupid and miscounted, do Sky show the play offs exclusivley?

I haven't seen it explicitly stated but I think pretty strong implication is that ITV would show England in play-offs.

Sky to have all non-England play-offs.

England v Home Nation in PO - ditto what would happen in group stage.
  • Options
    jlp95bwfcjlp95bwfc Posts: 18,415
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

It appears that Sky will show all play-off games. Although I suspect that any potential play-off games would be included in the England package, so we may see an ITV/Sky simulcast.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 385
    Forum Member

Unless England get drawn against a home nation in the play off,it would be on ITV like any other qualifier, as all qualifiers are on ITV.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Looking at the Sky schedules it would appear that the picks for the first matchday have been made, although some guesswork is involved with regards to the ITV pick:

Sunday 7th Sep:

(D) Georgia v ROI (5pm) - SS5 4pm
    (F) Hungary v NI (5pm) - SS3 4:45pm
    (I) Denmark v Armenia (5pm)
    (D) Germany v Scotland (7:45pm) - SS5 7:15pm
    (D) Gibraltar v Poland (7:45pm)
    (F) Faroe Islands v Finland (7:45pm)
    (F) Greece v Romania (7:45pm)
    (I) Portugal v Albania (7:45pm) - SS3 7:30pm

Monday 8th Sep:

(G) Russia v Lichtenstein (5pm) - SS5 4:55pm
    (C) Luxembourg v Belarus (7:45pm)
    (C) Spain v Macedonia (7:45pm) SS5 7:30pm
    (C) Ukraine v Slovakia (7:45pm)
    (E) Estonia v Slovenia (7:45pm)
    (E) San Marino v Lithuania (7:45pm)
    (E) Switzerland v England (7:45pm) - ITV
    (G) Austria v Sweden (7:45pm) - SS1 7:30pm
    (G) Montenegro v Moldova (7:45pm)

Tuesday 9th Sep:

(A) Kazakhstan v Latvia (5pm) - SS5 4:55pm
    (H) Azerbaijan v Bulgaria (5pm)
    (A) Czech Republic v Netherlands (7:45pm) - ITV4?
    (A) Iceland v Turkey (7:45pm)
    (B) Andorra v Wales (7:45pm) - SS5 7pm
    (B) Bosnia-Herzegovina v Cyprus (7:45pm)
    (B) Israel v Beligium (7:45pm)
    (H) Croatia v Malta (7:45pm)
    (H) Norway v Italy (7:45pm) SS1 7:30pm

ITV have first pick of non-home nations games to show on ITV4. Therefore I would guess that they have chosen Czech Republic v Netherlands. I presume all other games will be behind the red button on SS5 as they aren't mentioned in the Sky football schedules.
  • Options
    coventrywooocoventrywooo Posts: 3,473
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jlp95bwfc wrote: »
    Looking at the Sky schedules it would appear that the picks for the first matchday have been made, although some guesswork is involved with regards to the ITV pick:

Sunday 7th Sep:

(D) Georgia v ROI (5pm) - SS5 4pm
    (F) Hungary v NI (5pm) - SS3 4:45pm
    (I) Denmark v Armenia (5pm)
    (D) Germany v Scotland (7:45pm) - SS5 7:15pm
    (D) Gibraltar v Poland (7:45pm)
    (F) Faroe Islands v Finland (7:45pm)
    (F) Greece v Romania (7:45pm)
    (I) Portugal v Albania (7:45pm) - SS3 7:30pm

Monday 8th Sep:

(G) Russia v Lichtenstein (5pm) - SS5 4:55pm
    (C) Luxembourg v Belarus (7:45pm)
    (C) Spain v Macedonia (7:45pm) SS5 7:30pm
    (C) Ukraine v Slovakia (7:45pm)
    (E) Estonia v Slovenia (7:45pm)
    (E) San Marino v Lithuania (7:45pm)
    (E) Switzerland v England (7:45pm) - ITV
    (G) Austria v Sweden (7:45pm) - SS1 7:30pm
    (G) Montenegro v Moldova (7:45pm)

Tuesday 9th Sep:

(A) Kazakhstan v Latvia (5pm) - SS5 4:55pm
    (H) Azerbaijan v Bulgaria (5pm)
    (A) Czech Republic v Netherlands (7:45pm) - ITV4?
    (A) Iceland v Turkey (7:45pm)
    (B) Andorra v Wales (7:45pm) - SS5 7pm
    (B) Bosnia-Herzegovina v Cyprus (7:45pm)
    (B) Israel v Beligium (7:45pm)
    (H) Croatia v Malta (7:45pm)
    (H) Norway v Italy (7:45pm) SS1 7:30pm

ITV have first pick of non-home nations games to show on ITV4. Therefore I would guess that they have chosen Czech Republic v Netherlands. I presume all other games will be behind the red button on SS5 as they aren't mentioned in the Sky football schedules.

i dont think they will use SS1 i think it will all be on SS5 and maybe SS4...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i dont think they will use SS1 i think it will all be on SS5 and maybe SS4...

These are confirmed schedules.

http://www1.skysports.com/watch/football-on-sky
  • Options
    pakokelso93pakokelso93 Posts: 11,030
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Gonna be a kinda unheard of novely if Sky show all the rest of the qualifers via the red button, with games such as Faroe Islands v Finland, or them plugging Kazakhstan v Latvia on the main channel! :D