Len on ITT last night

horwichallstarshorwichallstars Posts: 16,514
Forum Member
✭✭
Hello - I missed most of ITT last night. Someone has posted on the BBC POV forum that Len was making fun of disabled people (in particular those with Cerebal Palsy) when he was describing Letita's dancing?

Was this the case? I know he can be a pain in the backside at times...but this would surprise me

Thanks

Comments

• claire2281claire2281 Posts: 17,283
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Actually I think he and Claudia were likening it more to a toddler...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,100
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It was a toddler.
  • kay_beekay_bee Posts: 88
    Forum Member
    I think Claudia rescued it, by bringing in 'toddler'. Len was not in vision at the time as he was voicing over VT. However, the voice he was using was one more regularly used in the playground to signify CP not a toddler.

Also toddlers are not usually ridiculed for their knock-kneed gait.

Personally I found it pretty offensive and not the way a professional judge should comment on a dancers performance.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,746
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Agree with Kay_bee, Claudia made him say "like a toddler".

He was a little close to the bone :(
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 58
    Forum Member
    Len always uses random and bizarre metephors to describe things...everyone should be used to that by now.

I am absolutely sure he meant no offence in that (or anything he says).

I wish people would stop picking on the judges especially Len at the moment. I have never been offended by anything any of the judges have ever said.

Yes sometimes they get a little over excited and caught up in the heat of the moment.

I think the only reason Len uses descriptions like this is to make it simpler to understand for the viewing public, if he used a lot a technical words most viewers who are not dancers themselves wouldn't understand (myself included), I think he just tries to relate things, quite often in a funny way (and not at all offensive).
  • olivejolivej Posts: 14,696
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    kay_bee wrote: »
    Personally I found it pretty offensive and not the way a professional judge should comment on a dancers performance.

I thought so too - not the way a professional judge should behave IMO - Len has gone downhill in my eyes

He does use odd metaphors do describe what he is talking about but that one was below the belt
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    smileatt wrote: »
    I think the only reason Len uses descriptions like this is to make it simpler to understand for the viewing public, if he used a lot a technical words most viewers who are not dancers themselves wouldn't understand (myself included), I think he just tries to relate things, quite often in a funny way (and not at all offensive).

there are other ways of making the non dancing public understand what you are talking about

Take Karen and Phil or example - I totally understood what Karen was talking about when she was explaining about Letitias feet in her VW - Karen explained it perfectly, on the acutally sat night after their performance I didnt really get what any of the judges meant
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Watch till 5 min 7, and make your own decision...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ElWp1BXIIJk

Think it is more his comments over the dancing.

Thanks Maltipom
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I dont need to watch it again I made my decision the first time round!! thanks anyway tho!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    olivej wrote: »
    I dont need to watch it again I made my decision the first time round!! thanks anyway tho!

Wasn't directing the reply just to you?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BigBum wrote: »
    Wasn't directing the reply just to you?

I know that :D just saying thanks for the link but i dont need to watch it again I made my mind up yesterday :D
  • indigomoonindigomoon Posts: 2,270
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Really how long is Len going to be allowed to behave like this?He needs to smarten up quick.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,856
    Forum Member
    If people think that Len was alluding to disability, then I suggest they examine their own values as to why they see bad in everything.

I didnt see anything of the sort. Len has this old London way of talking and expressing himself that alien to some of us that's all. For example calling claudia a gherkin could be viewed by some as offensive, but is it?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Vincy82 wrote: »
    If people think that Len was alluding to disability, then I suggest they examine their own values as to why they see bad in everything.

I didnt see anything of the sort. Len has this old London way of talking and expressing himself that alien to some of us that's all. For example calling claudia a gherkin could be viewed by some as offensive, but is it?

I've examined my own values, thanks for the tip.

As an old Londoner I know this way of speaking is used to parody those with mental or physical disabilities and it ain't confined to old london. Claudia saved him from making an unpleasant fool of himself visually on camera
    IMHO
  • TWSTWS Posts: 9,307
    Forum Member
    i hardly ever take offence at anything but both me and my OH were flabbergasted at Len and did feel Claudia came in and rescued him as to me it did seem he was alluding to people with disabilities
  • bendymixerbendymixer Posts: 18,628
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This forum is getting worse, dear god he never mentioned disability ITS PRESUMPTIONS AGAIN and I notice some of the same people doing it to.

That has been Lens teaching style for years - he has made some of the most used teaching videos around and he has always used quirky phrases and descriptions the one your on about I've heard him call a monkey's gait - IS HE CRUEL TO ANIMALS THEN

I despair of some people - but are you judging Len by how YOU yourselves describe people of disability????
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,923
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well I haven't been a particular fan of Len's these last few weeks, but it never occurred to me that he was making fun of disability (and I am a Londoner born and bred). Maybe I'm just innocent (at my old age) but I think I prefer to be that way!
  • DoolsDools Posts: 17
    Forum Member
    Must admit I didn't see anything like what's being said on here. I was only half listening and watching but sure I would have noticed it...I certainly wasn't offended and I have a disability which affects how I walk.
  • bendymixerbendymixer Posts: 18,628
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well I haven't been a particular fan of Len's these last few weeks, but it never occurred to me that he was making fun of disability (and I am a Londoner born and bred). Maybe I'm just innocent (at my old age) but I think I prefer to be that way!

It didn't occur to you because he wasn't :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Nothing wrong with being innocent, at you old age:), vivacious lady but hope you managed to have a bit of devilment in your yoof ;)
  • ennuiennui Posts: 1,334
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kay_bee wrote: »
    I think Claudia rescued it, by bringing in 'toddler'. Len was not in vision at the time as he was voicing over VT. However, the voice he was using was one more regularly used in the playground to signify CP not a toddler.

Also toddlers are not usually ridiculed for their knock-kneed gait.

That is exactly how I saw it too.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,923
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh I've had my moments! Might be exaggerating my age a bit though (more middle aged than old!). But middle aged sounds dull!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 70
    Forum Member
    I and my partner found it offensive, he wasn't making "toddler" noises, Claudia knew it and so did we. Our shock was only tempered by who it was who was making these noises - it was no more than we expect from him. He's becoming more and more a tactless buffoon by the week. :(
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 813
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't think it's worth tearing Len to pieces for this, but I'm not sure his "Hello. Hello everyone. Here I am" voice was an impression of a toddler :rolleyes: it's exactly the same voice we used to do in the primary school playground, and I'm not proud of that memory. There was no-one with CP at our school so our offensive behaviour was a mark of our own ignorance rather than being consciously directed at an individual. Perhaps the same is true of Len?

At 2:53 Len says that Camilla is "going like the Wild Woman of Wongo" which could be interpreted as displaying a somewhat colonial attitude... again I don't think that means that Len sets out to be offensive, more that he grew up in an earlier era.
  • SeymourSeymour Posts: 8,248
    Forum Member
    I think Political Correctness is taking over the forum, and Len is once again the bad guy. I never heard him say anything wrong last night, but yes he did struggle for a word to describe Letitia's feet and Claudia did suggest toddlle. If I disliked someone as much as some people on the forum seem to dislike Len, I certainly wouldn't watch them on ITT.