54yo male, (bit of a hippy) How do I find a new soulmate/special friend

13»

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    nancyboy wrote: »
    Dump the car. Whether it's a nice car or not is not the issue. Proclaiming an interest in any car is a turn-off for many people. A de-emphasised interest in classic cars is just about tolerable in a list of other interests. Never pose with a car is a profile pic on dating sites, it looks plain weird.

Have you tried Guardian Soulmates ... hippies love the Guardian. Good luck.

Thanks I had not thought of that one...
  • Options
    RadiomaniacRadiomaniac Posts: 43,510
    Forum Member
    I love hippies, especially those my age. I'm also not the average 52 year old and we sound very similar.

If I wasn't already attached, I'd be in that queue!

Good luck in your quest, myscimitar. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love hippies, especially those my age. I'm also not the average 52 year old and we sound very similar.

If I wasn't already attached, I'd be in that queue!

Good luck in your quest, myscimitar. :)

Thank you... not sure what queue..I keep looking for it!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    myscimitar wrote: »
    Thank you... not sure what queue..I keep looking for it!

I meant the DS queue! You're building up quite a fan club here. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I meant the DS queue! You're building up quite a fan club here. :)

Yer, story of my life, lots of interest, no -one brave enough to follow it up..still...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Yer, story of my life, lots of interest, no -one brave enough to follow it up..still...

Oh, trust me I'd be brave enough....if I weren't married, as I said. ;)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh, trust me I'd be brave enough....if I weren't married, as I said. ;)

That where I started..all the good ones are married...
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 200
    Forum Member
    Are you anywhere near Kent :)

Not really. In North West Hampshire.
  • Options
    LaChatteGitaneLaChatteGitane Posts: 4,184
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dump the car. Whether it's a nice car or not is not the issue. Proclaiming an interest in any car is a turn-off for many people. A de-emphasised interest in classic cars is just about tolerable in a list of other interests. Never pose with a car is a profile pic on dating sites, it looks plain weird.

Spot on, nancyboy. None of my 'hippy' acquaintances are even remotely interested in cars (only as a mode of transport).
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,269
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm in Kent!!! :D

I like cars too, but unfortunately 3 days camping in Glastonbury is my ultimate nightmare!! :o
  • Options
    davidsevendavidseven Posts: 3,336
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

What! Even a Bristol? :eek:

I do sympathise with the OP. Dating sites are a mine field though. I don't know what algorithm they use but it seems to be just age and not much else. I'm 52 and love house, dub and drum and bass and yet all the matches I got were a bit 'mumsy'.
    I had more in common with their elder sons if they had them to be honest.

ps. I'm an old hippy and loath the Gruaniad! :D
  • Options
    nancyboynancyboy Posts: 1,288
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    davidseven wrote: »
    What! Even a Bristol? :eek:

I do sympathise with the OP. Dating sites are a mine field though. I don't know what algorithm they use but it seems to be just age and not much else. I'm 52 and love house, dub and drum and bass and yet all the matches I got were a bit 'mumsy'.
    I had more in common with their elder sons if they had them to be honest.

ps. I'm an old hippy and loath the Gruaniad! :D

If you're looking for someone who likes Bristol cars and drum & bass then I think any website would be struggling to find a match ;)

I would downplay youthful interests - once women get to a certain age they just want someone to look after them, not another big kid to untidy the house and make too much horrible noise.

Re posing with a Bristol, it's a bit like saying "I'm an upmarket trainspotter" ... i.e. you might hit the jackpot with a fellow enthusiast but you'd be much more likely to alienate the majority of people who are looking for things they have in common with you.

"Look at me and my posh old car" conveys quite a few messages, none of them particularly attractive.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,201
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wow... you ooze something Mr guitar/classic car man

I have been with my husband 12 years since I met him at 18 and have never been interested or even considered anyone else since

And now, suddenly I am day dreaming about getting dirty at glastonbury with a 54 year old hippy I have never met and more worringly is that same age as my mum!

*Joins the back of the queue*

:D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 940
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Check your PM
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Where is the OP? Here we are, all throwing ourselves at him and he's nowhere to be seen. :D
  • Options
    Mumof3Mumof3 Posts: 4,529
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    OP, have a go at e-harmony: it's amazing, and works on a vast range of compatibility issues, from really basic stuff like preferred age ranges, and preferred distance range (ie. proximity to where u live), to much more abstract attitudinal stuff (like how important it is that yr partners education or salary matches yr own), to values/beliefs.

It'll take over an hour to set up yr profile, but then matches are delivered on a daily basis + it's all managed v professionally.

My sister's been looking for someone for a while, and said this site blew the rest out of the water.
  • Options
    HotgossipHotgossip Posts: 22,385
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think he's gone on holiday!;) He does sound very nice but I think a larger pic would be good. I'm happily married but have several single friends!

I have to say I agree with the "car" comments. While it is nice for a guy to actually own a car ..... I would also be put off by a person who is really in to them. Like going to car shows, swapping spares, building kit cars, going on rallys etc.:eek: They are just too anoraky.

Now a guy who rides a motorbike for pleasure is something different and even some of these men in lycra who ride ordinary bikes are worth a second glance!;)

I'm sure you'll find someone though because you sound very genuine.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hotgossip wrote: »
    I think he's gone on holiday!;) He does sound very nice but I think a larger pic would be good. I'm happily married but have several single friends!

I have to say I agree with the "car" comments. While it is nice for a guy to actually own a car ..... I would also be put off by a person who is really in to them. Like going to car shows, swapping spares, building kit cars, going on rallys etc.:eek: They are just too anoraky.
    Now a guy who rides a motorbike for pleasure is something different and even some of these men in lycra who ride ordinary bikes are worth a second glance!;)

I'm sure you'll find someone though because you sound very genuine.

I have to disagree with you on that one, I love cars, I have owned a classic (Cortina Mk2 Savage Estate, one of only approx. 6 made) myself, and have always loved cars, 3-litre Capris and so on in my early days! :D I loved going to car shows with my then fiance. Many years ago now though, but still have fond memories, more of the cars than the fiance, and many photos.

He shouldn't pretend to be something he isn't, if he loves cars then why pretend not to?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh, and OP - I am in Kent, in case you missed it before! :D
  • Options
    Maisy27Maisy27 Posts: 407
    Forum Member
    I don't know how serious the OP is about wanting to find someone. He isn't on holiday, and has been posting on other threads all week.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 405
    Forum Member
    I'm a sort of used to be hippy, aged 50, and have been hoping to meet someone to go with to Glastonberry, preferably in a camper van. Have been thinking about joining a dating agency as I know there must be like minded guys around - as they are not going to just come up to me in the street and say 'hi, do you want to come to Glasto you look like my soul mate'! But any guy with an interest in cars is just a turn off for me, unless they can fix mine when things go wrong! anyway most 55 year olds are looking for women in their 30s, which I find quite insulting. I just want to meet a friendly hippy type guy aged 50 - 55, and have been looking for 10 years so am not holding my breathe even though I know they are out there. Meanwhile I'm happy to carry on my own, I have great friends/family/work and if it happens it happens!! But one day I must get to Glasto in a camper van :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,703
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    anyway most 55 year olds are looking for women in their 30s

I think its hilarious. I'm in my 30s and wouldn't look at someone that old.

:p
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 405
    Forum Member
    I know, but it's mostly true!