Comments

• Germany boundGermany bound Posts: 1,410
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BBC Bristol and BBC Zummerzet

Host Geoff Twentyman

Forest v Bristol City Ali durdain summeriser Adam Baker
    DAB and 94:9

Bristol Rovers v Oxford Ed Hadwin and Summeriser Keith Brookman 1548 after a few problems with the line from the Mem

Yeovil v Coventry 95:5 Richard Hoskin and summeriser chris spittles
  • LanarkianLanarkian Posts: 7,534
    Forum Member
    I am not near home today so has anybody got details of Five Live, BBC London and/or IRN?
    Thanks
  • jimmyladjimmylad Posts: 729
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ambassador wrote: »
    BBC Radio Newcastle

North East Sport

Arsenal vs Sunderland - Commentary from Nick Barnes with Gary Bennett (FM and DAB)

Gateshead vs Forest Green - online only, not sure who's presenting

Newcastle v Tottenham - Commentary with Mick Lowes and John Anderson

Barry Hindson was commentating on the Heed game, didn't catch who the co commentator was but I'd hazard a guess at Paul Dixon.
  • The DifferenceThe Difference Posts: 21,037
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SouthCity wrote: »
    Newcastle United v Tottenham Hotspur:

The Talksport Live international commentary is available here:

http://www.radiosport.co.nz/player/listenlive/

Richard Connelly (former BBC World Service presenter & commentator) & Marc Bircham (QPR reserves & U21 coach )

Thanks for filling in the gap from my earlier post SouthCity.

Like the five commentators on the 3pm games other than Ian Danter, Richard Connelly was making his talkSPORT debut (obviously for talkSPORT Live, but I don't believe he's worked on the main station before although that may change) and he seems like a good choice given his experience. Marc Bircham is a regular on the UK station though, often guesting on shows like Hawksbee & Jacobs and The Sports Bar.

It seems as if talkSPORT Live will be using co-commentators - relative newcomers as opposed to any of the prominent pundits on the main station - on all standalone TV games as well as the choice Saturday 3pm games (which I suspect will be taken by all of their international radio partners), with one man commentary set-ups for those games that are web-only broadcasts.

I also think it is very likely that Ian Danter will regularly commentate on Saturday afternoon games, given that he presents Football First on Saturday evenings and so is available to do a double shift as opposed to reporting from his native West Midlands for Matchday Live (indeed last season we heard him reporting on games from London more often than we did from his locality). By the same token, I wouldn't be surprised if Full Contact host Andrew McKenna regularly commentates on Sunday afternoon games for talkSPORT Live once the rugby union season gets underway and thus his Sunday night show returns to the airwaves.

For anyone who is interested to hear what talkSPORT Live sounds like, Radio Sport have a listen again facility on their website and have uploaded their opening day coverage onto it, which went out on Sunday between 1.30am and 6.30am their time if you want to track it down. With no early game they joined a simulcast of Matchday Live at just after midnight their time for the best part of an hour and a half. They left the talkSPORT Live service to return to their normal programmes pretty much on the final whistle at St James' Park.

I listened to a bit of their West Bromwich Albion v Liverpool commentary and was suitably impressed; whether commentating on-site or off-tube Ian Danter is one of the most engaging broadcasters on the radio right now, while Paul Mortimer made a solid debut. He wasn't a spectacular success but did well enough considering it was his first co-commentary stint.
  • connor the judgconnor the judg Posts: 8,961
    Forum Member
    hi everyone yeasterdays bbc wm line up
    rob gurney and daz hale:leeds v wolves
    mark regan and paul franks: west ham v villa
    richard wilford:west brom v liverpool ( richard sneakers with him on dab)
    adam bridge:blues v charlton
    andrew someone for walsall v donny
  • shaun_dshaun_d Posts: 1,693
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BBC Radio 5 Live - 18/8/2012

Presented by Jonathan Overend at The Emirates

Arsenal v Sunderland - Conor McNamara
    Fulham v Norwich - Andy Gillies
    Newcastle v Tottenham - Peter Slater
    QPR v Swansea - John Southall
    Reading v Stoke - Alistair Bruce-Ball
    West Brom v Liverpool - John Murray & Martin Keown (commentary)
    West Ham v Aston Villa - Mike Sewell

Birmingham v Charlton - Steve Wyeth
    Burnley v Bolton - Dave Woods
    Ipswich v Blackburn - Steve May
    Leeds v Wolves - Darren Fletcher & Phil Brown (commentary)
    Portsmouth v Bournemouth - Hamish Marshall

Fleetwood v Torquay - Gary Flintoff

Ross County v Celtic - Roddy Forsyth
    Rangers v East Stirling - Ian Turner
  • Mark.Mark. Posts: 84,804
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    shaun_d wrote: »
    BBC Radio 5 Live - 18/8/2012
    Rangers v East Stirling - Ian Turner
    So a Scottish Third Division game is more important to Five Live than any of the 3pm kick-offs in the SPL?

The more things change, the more they stay the same...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 27
    Forum Member
    Three Counties Sport - Tuesday 14th August 7-10:30pm

Presented from the studio by Luke Ashmead

Capital One Cup

Stevenage vs AFC Wimbledon - John Marks and Steve Watkins (Commentary) 95.5 FM

Blue Square Bet Premier

Kidderminster Harriers vs Luton Town Euan Duncan and Bill Cole (Commentary) 103.8 FM/104.5 FM/630AM/1161AM and BBC Listen Live

Three Counties Sport - Friday 17th August 7-10pm

Presented by Euan Duncan LIVE from Ewen Fields

Blue Square Bet Premier

Hyde vs Luton Town Euan Duncan and Bill Cole (Commentary) 630AM/1161AM and online

Three Counties Sport - Saturday 18th August 2-6pm

Presented from the studio by Luke Ashmead

Npower Championship

Crystal Palace vs Watford - John Marks and Derek Payne (Commentary) 90.4 FM/92.1 FM/98 FM/103.8 FM/630AM/1161AM

Npower League One
    Milton Keynes Dons vs Oldham Athletic Paul Dixon and Lee Scriven (Commentary) 104.5 FM

Stevenage vs Carlisle United Steve Watkins and ? (Commentary) 95.5 FM

Npower League Two

York City vs Wycombe Wanderers Euan Duncan (Updates) 95.5 FM/104.5 FM

Any details of last Saturday's Three Counties Sport would be appreciated
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 27
    Forum Member
    BBC Radio Lincolnshire

Saturday Sport - Saturday 18th August 2-6pm

Presented LIVE from Rodney Parade by Michael Hortin

Blue Square Bet Premier

Newport County vs Lincoln City (Commentary) Michael Hortin and Steve Thompson

Blue Square Bet North

Droylsden vs Boston United (Updates) Scott Dalton

Gainsborough Trinity vs Gloucester City (Updates) Mark Turner
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Saturday 18th August - Gold (West Midlands)

Tom Ross presented The Goalzone from Upton Park

Premier League
    West Bromwich Albion v Liverpool - Steve Hermon and Tony Brown (3pm Gold Black Country and Shropshire commentary)
    West Ham United v Aston Villa - Tom Ross and Ian Taylor (3pm Gold Birmingham 1152AM commentary)

Championship
    Leeds United v Wolverhampton Wanderers - Mikey Burrows and Matt Murray (12.45pm Gold Black Country and Shropshire commentary)
    Birmingham City v Charlton Athletic - ? (3pm Gold Birmingham DAB commentary)

League One
    Yeovil Town v Coventry City - Joe Holt and Dave Bennett (3pm Gold Coventry & Warwickshire and Sky Blues Player commentary)

Can anyone confirm Gold's commentary team at the Birmingham game? They've stopped name checking the commentators on The Goalzone podcasts and on the Blues one we only heard the lead commentator, who was a new voice to me. It wasn't Nathan Alleyne while Adam Bridge covered this match for BBC WM yesterday.

Thanks for posting those details, very helpful considering that not even the final hour of Saturday's WM Sport is on the iPlayer. It almost certainly will have been Andrew Dawkins covering Walsall v Doncaster Rovers in League One.

Just to confirm Leeds v Wolves was live on all WM platforms other than online from 12.45pm, with West Ham v Aston Villa their FM commentary from 3pm and West Brom v Liverpool commentary going out on DAB.

It will be interesting to see how much we hear of Adam Bridge on BBC WM this season, considering WM were able to call upon him ahead of Gold yesterday. Adam also regularly commentates off-tube in London for the Perform Group and is set to join talkSPORT Live's Premier League world feed radio team, where he'll be joining long-time WM Sport presenter and commentator Dan Wheeler. It'll be interesting to see if Dan continues to turn up on WM and/or BBC Hereford & Worcester too.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sunday 18th August - Newstalk 106-108FM (Ireland)

Ger Gilroy presented Newstalk Sports Saturday with Joe Molloy

Premier League
    Arsenal v Sunderland - Dave McIntyre
    Fulham v Norwich City - Elliot Cook
    Queens Park Rangers v Swansea City - Nigel Bidmead
    Reading v Stoke City - Sam Fleet
    West Bromwich Albion v Liverpool - Clive Edwards
    West Ham United v Aston Villa - Kevin Hatchard

Dave McIntyre at Arsenal was the only reporter from the above specifically working for Newstalk, the rest were from IRN/Sky News Radio. Neither Newstalk nor sister station Today FM had a reporter at the late game (Newcastle United v Tottenham Hotspur) as far as I heard.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sunday 19th August - talkSPORT

Georgie Bingham presenting Sunday Exclusive alongside Alvin Martin, followed by Call Collymore from the DW Stadium

Premier League
    Wigan Athletic v Chelsea - Sam Matterface and Stan Collymore (1.30pm commentary), with Simon Humphreys at pitchside and Carl Ralley producing
    Manchester City v Southampton - Graham Beecroft

Cricket: Third Test Match
    England v South Africa - Jack Bannister

talkSPORT Live

Premier League
    Wigan Athletic v Chelsea - Piers Edwards and Bobby Gould (1.30pm commentary)
    Manchester City v Southampton - Phil Blacker and Bobby Gould (4pm commentary)
  • swansea steveswansea steve Posts: 1,404
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's Conor McNamara and Kevin Kilbane reporting on Wigan v Chelsea for 5live with Ian Payne presenting 5live sport from 12-3 PM.

Manchester City v Southampton, Darren Fletcher hosting and commentating alongside Mike Ingham with Robbie Savage summerising.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    deleted
  • Westy2Westy2 Posts: 14,355
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Andrew Dawkins (aka 'Long Distance Dawks')
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 69
    Forum Member
    Have listened to the first half of City v Southampton on Talksport live & have been impressed by Phil Blacker. I also think Bobby Gould does a good job as a summariser.
    One thing Ive noticed from the couple of Talksport live games I've heard is that the crowd noise seems louder and better quality than games Talksport commentate from live and previous off tube games.
  • Ian CleverlyIan Cleverly Posts: 10,683
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BBC Radio Wales (Saturday)

Queen's Park Rangers V Jackland - Simon Davies (hosting) Rob Phillips and Kevin Ratcliffe (SW FM)
    Ebbsfleet V Wrexham - Ian Hunt and Mickey Thomas (North FM / Online)
    Newport County V Lincoln City - James Pontin and Jason Perry (SE FM / Online)
    Carmarthen Town V Aberystwyth Town - Mark Poyser
    Ospreys V Bath (RU Friendly) - Rick O'Shea
    Essex V Glamorgan (County Championship Division 2) - Edward Bevan

BBC Radio Cymru (Saturday)

Eleri Siôn studio host

Queen's Park Rangers V Jackland - Gareth Blainey and Osian Roberts (SW Wales commentary)
    Ebbsfleet V Wrexham - Iwan Roberts
    Newport County V Lincoln City - John Hardy and Waynne Phillips (Main commentary)
    Carmarthen Town V Aberystwyth Town - Marc Lloyd Williams
    Ospreys V Bath (RU Friendly) - Alun Jenkins

I didn't listen to Friday's match, as I no longer support Cardiff City (1899-2012 RIP) in their current incarnation, so, if Radio Wales and/or Cymru provide a sports show where they are the only football commentary option, I won't be listening.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BBC Radio Wales (Saturday)

Queen's Park Rangers V Jackland - Simon Davies (hosting) Rob Phillips and Kevin Ratcliffe (SW FM)
    Ebbsfleet V Wrexham - Ian Hunt and Mickey Thomas (North FM / Online)
    Newport County V Lincoln City - James Pontin and Jason Perry (SE FM / Online)
    Carmarthen Town V Aberystwyth Town - Mark Poyser
    Ospreys V Bath (RU Friendly) - Rick O'Shea

BBC Radio Cymru (Saturday)

Eleri Siôn studio host

Queen's Park Rangers V Jackland - Gareth Blainey and Osian Roberts (SW Wales commentary)
    Ebbsfleet V Wrexham - Iwan Roberts
    Newport County V Lincoln City - John Hardy and Waynne Phillips (Main commentary)
    Carmarthen Town V Aberystwyth Town - Marc Lloyd Williams
    Ospreys V Bath (RU Friendly) - Alun Jenkins

I didn't listen to Friday's match, as I no longer support Cardiff City (1899-2012 RIP) in their current incarnation, so, if Radio Wales and/or Cymru provide a sports show where they are the only football commentary option, I won't be listening.

thanks Ian for the radio wales info for Saturday. i couldn't listen as the new and improved Swans player wasn't improved at all and didn't work. note to the perform group, if it ain't broke...
    I'd be really interested to hear more of your views on the changes at Cardiff over the summer Ian-- most fans I've spoken to, while not particularly liking the changes haven't taken the extreme step of changing their club as a result of it.swansea fan in peace (for what it's worth I think the Welsh capital should have a premiership club) but just genuinely interested. is jit just about the blue kit? sorry for slight off-topic post.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Have listened to the first half of City v Southampton on Talksport live & have been impressed by Phil Blacker. I also think Bobby Gould does a good job as a summariser.
    One thing Ive noticed from the couple of Talksport live games I've heard is that the crowd noise seems louder and better quality than games Talksport commentate from live and previous off tube games.

I have to disagree on your first point. It's rare of me to be critical of talkSPORT but I listened to the second half and was a little underwhelmed by Phil Blacker. I'm familiar with Phil's work on the Russian Premier League world feed and he's always knowledgeable and well researched, so no problems there, but I felt he was a little muted as the goals went in during an exciting conclusion of the game. He was technically fine but I couldn't help but feel that match could have done with a slightly more lively commentary of the kind Sam Matterface, Nigel Pearson and Ian Danter provide on the main station.

Still, it beat having to settle for Robbie Savage on 5 Live and Bobby Gould was clearly having a whale of a time - you could tell how much he was enjoying the match, he certainly let you know how exciting he was finding it. That said, I didn't like how they used Bob on both games. Perhaps a secondary co-commentator dropped out at the last minute and I know most are aware they are working off-tube but that sort of thing puts flashing lights on it.

You're right on the crowd feed, it is really loud and clear but you would expect the best given how it is being provided directly from the Premier League. Perhaps the difference from say Champions League away games of old stems from how they seem to be taking "clean" audio from the PLTV feed of matches (as indicated by how you hear Kasabian's Fire moments after each half ends), which in theory should come over much clearer than the typical effects mic used in mainland Europe did.

The bulk of this post might not sound the most positive but overall I've been impressed by what I've heard of talkSPORT Live this weekend. I've managed to access it on both days and I hope this continues, it's great to have an alternative to Radio 5 Live on league matches.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have to disagree on your first point. It's rare of me to be critical of talkSPORT but I listened to the second half and was a little underwhelmed by Phil Blacker. I'm familiar with Phil's work on the Russian Premier League world feed and he's always knowledgeable and well researched, so no problems there, but I felt he was a little muted as the goals went in during an exciting conclusion of the game. He was technically fine but I couldn't help but feel that match could have done with a slightly more lively commentary of the kind Sam Matterface, Nigel Pearson and Ian Danter provide on the main station.

Still, it beat having to settle for Robbie Savage on 5 Live and Bobby Gould was clearly having a whale of a time - you could tell how much he was enjoying the match, he certainly let you know how exciting he was finding it. That said, I didn't like how they used Bob on both games. Perhaps a secondary co-commentator dropped out at the last minute and I know most are aware they are working off-tube but that sort of thing puts flashing lights on it.

You're right on the crowd feed, it is really loud and clear but you would expect the best given how it is being provided directly from the Premier League. Perhaps the difference from say Champions League away games of old stems from how they seem to be taking "clean" audio from the PLTV feed of matches (as indicated by how you hear Kasabian's Fire moments after each half ends), which in theory should come over much clearer than the typical effects mic used in mainland Europe did.

The bulk of this post might not sound the most positive but overall I've been impressed by what I've heard of talkSPORT Live this weekend. I've managed to access it on both days and I hope this continues, it's great to have an alternative to Radio 5 Live on league matches.

i listened to talksport live on radio sport new zealand and agree, it's sounding good. pity i couldn't access it through the talksport.com site as I'd have liked to hear the swans match! ;-)
  • SouthCitySouthCity Posts: 12,352
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There is an interview with Moz Dee on this week's Media Guardian podcast where he talks about Talksport Live:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/audio/2012/aug/17/media-talk-podcast-radio-sport

It starts at 09:30 (after a discussion about The Dandy).
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sunday 19th August - Newstalk 106-108FM (Ireland)

Ger Gilroy presented Newstalk Sport Sunday alongside Joe Molloy

Premier League
    Wigan Athletic v Chelsea - Alan Irwin and Graeme Sharp (1.30pm commentary)
    Manchester City v Southampton - Dave McIntyre and Kenny Cunningham (4pm commentary)

GAA: All-Ireland Senior Hurling Semi-Final
    Kilkenny v Tipperary - Jamesie O'Connor

I've got the date right this time! Thanks for the link SouthCity, both Moz Dee and his successor at 5 Live Jonathan Wall came across very well. From listening to the relevant bits of that podcast, I get the impression that both stations are in good hands and any discussions between the two will be constructive.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 69
    Forum Member

Still, it beat having to settle for Robbie Savage on 5 Live and Bobby Gould was clearly having a whale of a time - you could tell how much he was enjoying the match, he certainly
    let you know how exciting he was finding it. That said, I didn't like how they used Bob on both games. Perhaps a secondary co-commentator dropped out at the last minute and I know most are aware they are working off-tube but that sort of thing puts flashing lights on it.

You're right on the crowd feed, it is really loud and clear but you would expect the best given how it is being provided directly from the Premier League. Perhaps the difference from say Champions League away games of old stems from howthey seem to be taking "clean" audio from the PLTV feed of matches (as indicated by how you hear Kasabian's Fire moments after each half ends), which in theory should come over much clearer than the typical effects mic used in mainland Europe did.

The bulk of this post might not sound the most positive but overall I've been impressed by what I've heard of talkSPORT Live this weekend. I've managed to access it on both days and
    I hope this continues, it's great to have an alternative to Radio 5 Live on league matches.

Fair point about Phil not getting excited when the goals went in, although I think Bobbu compensated for this!
    Having not heard Phil before I thought he was knowledgable and described the action well.

I see Dants & Stewart Robson are covering Everton v Utd tomorrow, that is a cracking partnership. It's hood to see Dants get more work, I feel Moz Dee has a bit of a dilemma with Dants & Georgie Bingham, both are excellent broadcasters, but as they are not well known names there seems no weekday slot for them.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 341
    Forum Member
    BBC Radio Scotland - Sunday 19th August 2012

Sportsound presented by Richard Gordon live from Tannadice

Commentary
    Dundee United v. Dundee - Liam McLeod, Billy Dodds and Jim McInally with Chick Young pitchside.
  • jimmyladjimmylad Posts: 729
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i listened to talksport live on radio sport new zealand and agree, it's sounding good. pity i couldn't access it through the talksport.com site as I'd have liked to hear the swans match! ;-)

I'm sure there's plenty of websites which have shown live TV footage of the Swansea match...