Rewatching Buffy...

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,194
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    saturn5 wrote: »
    Really, I think most consider it one of the classics, myself included

Yeah it's great, i always get the songs stuck in my head for weeks after whenever i watch it

Speaking of one of the classics, my rewatch has finally reached 'the body' - beautiful, breathtaking and perfect don't even begin to describe how amazing this episode is
  • daveyboy7472daveyboy7472 Posts: 16,406
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Really, I think most consider it one of the classics, myself included

I just don't think that sort of story fits a show like Buffy. it's just a personal thing. I don't like musicals at the best of times so that's another reason.

On a better note, I watched Bewitched, Bothered and Bewildered last week (Where a love spell means all the girls love Xander)and apart from seeing SMG in that black coat, it was the most funniest episode I've seen of Buffy. I've watched them all before and can't remember any of them being so funny, apart from that one where Willow inadvertently puts a spell on everyone where what she says goes and Buffy ends up wanting to marry Spike!

:D:D:D:D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 762
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I just don't think that sort of story fits a show like Buffy. it's just a personal thing. I don't like musicals at the best of times so that's another reason.

On a better note, I watched Bewitched, Bothered and Bewildered last week (Where a love spell means all the girls love Xander)and apart from seeing SMG in that black coat, it was the most funniest episode I've seen of Buffy. I've watched them all before and can't remember any of them being so funny, apart from that one where Willow inadvertently puts a spell on everyone where what she says goes and Buffy ends up wanting to marry Spike!

:D:D:D:D

BBB is my favourite ep of all time and the one that made me a fan!:D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What makes me laugh is the extremes they went to. First of all after all the schoolgirls, Buffy and Willow,it was Jenny Calendar. They then stepped it up to Buffy's mum then went to the absolute ultimate and had Drusilla fancy him as well! Great stuff!:D
  • Nikki E.Nikki E. Posts: 995
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    IMO, Buffy is the best programme on TV ever!:D;):cool:

Even though I see Season 4 as the weakest season, it still has some brilliant episodes; Hush, Superstar (love love Jonathan, Espenson is an awesome writer, and Strong is great!), and Restless.

I loved how all of the characters grew, changed and progressed throughout the series. I never found Buffy a particularly likeable character, but I was interested in what happened to her.

Out of the Scoobies, my fav. was Xander, I found him the most relatable, even if a bit judgemental and hypocritical at times.

My favourite characters overall were (in no particular order) Spike, Faith, Anya, Jonathan, Harmony, Snyder, The Mayor, Mr. Trick, Warren, Andrew, Ethan, Drusilla and Caleb.

I thought all of the seasons of Buffy were good in their own right. I can't find much to fault with the first season really, so I wont!

Seasons Two and Three are also great, and it's nice when Buffy & Co. naturally progress on from high school. I was also glad the Buffy/Angel relationship ended, I found them as a couple a bit tedious and found Angel less annoying in his own TV show. :)

Season Six gets faulted more than it deserves, IMO. I don't think The Trio were awful, they were quite funny. Also I thought the fact that they were so bad at being "supervillians" was great. They spent so much of their time trying to bring Buffy down and ultimately "take-over Sunnydale". Yet they couldn't really make that much of a difference.
    WARREN: I'm part of the trio. You may have heard of us..?!

RACK: What, you guys some kind of band or something?

I thought Willow becoming the big bad as the end of the season was great, they did build up to it throughout season six. Although I think they could of concentrated less on the Spike bedding Buffy plot, and should've concentrated on showing Willow getting to the point where she could kill someone.

I love season seven. Love, love Spike's curls in Lessons (something else that has an undeservedly bad rep - I too like to wear my naturally curly hair loud and proud!).

Fillion as Caleb is so deliciously evil. However, some of the potentials are annoying. Especially the one with ridiculously bad British accent - Molly I think it was -, she made Juliet Landau's accent seem almost credible.

Angel was a fun TV show too. I would go into my thoughts on that too, but I think this post is long enough already.

BTW, Saturn5, I hope you don't mind, but I'm gonna print out your breakdowns of each ep and put them in a folder of other interesting Buffy stuff (editorials, etc.)... Point is, I'm really enjoying reading them. :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Forgot to add.

I am reading the comics; Buffy: Season Eight and Angel.

I'm a bit behind though, I can't afford to buy the comics and my local comic book does 10% off graphic novels - so that's how I'm reading them.

I'm up to Retreat in the Buffy series. I kinda like Season Eight, I find the ridiculousness of it all highly amusing. Plus I always kinda liked Warren,
    so his return pleased me to no end! :D
    I really want to know who Twilight is though! :confused:

The Angel series is okay, but way too sensibly plotted for my liking though. :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nikki E. wrote: »
    IMO, Buffy is the best programme on TV ever!:D;):cool:

Even though I see Season 4 as the weakest season, it still has some brilliant episodes; Hush, Superstar (love love Jonathan, Espenson is an awesome writer, and Strong is great!), and Restless.

I loved how all of the characters grew, changed and progressed throughout the series. I never found Buffy a particularly likeable character, but I was interested in what happened to her.

Out of the Scoobies, my fav. was Xander, I found him the most relatable, even if a bit judgemental and hypocritical at times.

My favourite characters overall were (in no particular order) Spike, Faith, Anya, Jonathan, Harmony, Snyder, The Mayor, Mr. Trick, Warren, Andrew, Ethan, Drusilla and Caleb.

I thought all of the seasons of Buffy were good in their own right. I can't find much to fault with the first season really, so I wont!

Seasons Two and Three are also great, and it's nice when Buffy & Co. naturally progress on from high school. I was also glad the Buffy/Angel relationship ended, I found them as a couple a bit tedious and found Angel less annoying in his own TV show. :)

Season Six gets faulted more than it deserves, IMO. I don't think The Trio were awful, they were quite funny. Also I thought the fact that they were so bad at being "supervillians" was great. They spent so much of their time trying to bring Buffy down and ultimately "take-over Sunnydale". Yet they couldn't really make that much of a difference.

I thought Willow becoming the big bad as the end of the season was great, they did build up to it throughout season six. Although I think they could of concentrated less on the Spike bedding Buffy plot, and should've concentrated on showing Willow getting to the point where she could kill someone.

I love season seven. Love, love Spike's curls in Lessons (something else that has an undeservedly bad rep - I too like to wear my naturally curly hair loud and proud!).

Fillion as Caleb is so deliciously evil. However, some of the potentials are annoying. Especially the one with ridiculously bad British accent - Molly I think it was -, she made Juliet Landau's accent seem almost credible.

Angel was a fun TV show too. I would go into my thoughts on that too, but I think this post is long enough already.

BTW, Saturn5, I hope you don't mind, but I'm gonna print out your breakdowns of each ep and put them in a folder of other interesting Buffy stuff (editorials, etc.)... Point is, I'm really enjoying reading them. :)

Help yourself, greatest compliment you can be paid:)

Yeah, I'm enjoying the season 8 of Buffy although I'm not sure I understand the whole 'Seed' thing. I'm finding Angel s6 a little hard to follow
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Help yourself, greatest compliment you can be paid:)

Yeah, I'm enjoying the season 8 of Buffy although I'm not sure I understand the whole 'Seed' thing. I'm finding Angel s6 a little hard to follow

Same here. It has its moments though. I thought Angel and Kate arguing about having a filing system to deal with cases was pretty funny.

Apart from that though I have to say it is a tad confusing;
    those Angels sent by the powers that be going and killing innocent demons :eek: - hows Angel supposed to know who's evil and good anymore??!? :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just rewatched 'the gift' - fantastic episode (i remember my jaw hanging open for hours the first time i saw it :eek:)

slightly OT, but I still have to pause it at the end as buffy's lying there as i can't for the life of me see her right arm lol http://www.flickr.com/photos/39073972@N06/3592720836/

It looks like a bit of the pallet she landed on :D
  • irishguyirishguy Posts: 22,172
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    smfan123 wrote: »
    Yeah it's great, i always get the songs stuck in my head for weeks after whenever i watch it

Speaking of one of the classics, my rewatch has finally reached 'the body' - beautiful, breathtaking and perfect don't even begin to describe how amazing this episode is

I'm man enough to admit that the first couple of viewings of this episode had me sobbing like a baby.... it would have possibly been the perfect episode if it hadn't been for the un-needed vamp appearance at the end. Apart from that it is awesome and people who still think its a 'kids' show should be made to watch it to see how wrong they are
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,587
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I often pop in here for a lurk - haven't posted before. Huge Buffy fan - still don't think it's been topped for T.V. I always compare the writing in Buffy to that of everything else and am always left wanting.

Correct me if I'm wrong but did Joss use something of his own mother's passing as inspiration for 'The body'? I think I picked this up from the commentary on the DVD but as I need to revisit I could have this wrong.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    adayseye wrote: »
    I often pop in here for a lurk - haven't posted before. Huge Buffy fan - still don't think it's been topped for T.V. I always compare the writing in Buffy to that of everything else and am always left wanting.

Correct me if I'm wrong but did Joss use something of his own mother's passing as inspiration for 'The body'? I think I picked this up from the commentary on the DVD but as I need to revisit I could have this wrong.

I think you're right about that. :)
  • Flamethrower100Flamethrower100 Posts: 14,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I liked all the seasons of Buffy. And then all the seasons of Angel. Some episodes I wasn't keen on. But on the whole every storyline, was good for me. I wouldn't have wanted it to go any differently. Becuase this was the writer's plan, and not mine. And I always found it very surreal. But funny.

The funny thing is that I never liked Buffy, or Angel TBH.
    I prefer Spike, Willow, Giles, and Anya. They were my favourite characters.
    And in Angel, I liked Wesley, and Cordelia.

I did grow to like Buffy and Angel. But they were never really favourites of mine. Not really my sort of people. Buffy is a bit self centred even though she is not selfish.... and she's always going on and on. you can understand why, but still. I can understand the character, but not really care for her much. wasn't a fan of Dawn either.

Angel is self loathing. And very joyless unless he's evil. He's also always brooding over some girl or other. When he was human he was a drunk, careless fool.

The too most complicted and interesting characters are Spike and Willow.

I also like Faith. I like how much she changed over the course of the show. Joss never went into depth about what happened in her past. But you can tell it wasn't a happy childhood.

The thing with Buffy is, that she is normal. She's a normal girl, and then a normal woman. It's just that she doesn't have a normal life. She's the kind of character that always dreamed of getting married, having a normal life, growing up with her parents and fitting in with her peers.
    And she never changed. Not really. She adapted, and grew as a person.
    I think the actress and writers did a briliant job with character of Buffy.
    Buffy was a sheep that was forced to become a leader.

I think it's probably my favourite program of all time. Along with the xfiles.
  • Flamethrower100Flamethrower100 Posts: 14,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

The body was a very sad episode. perfect acting from everyone involved.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Yep you're right (just reached the end of S5 and one of the DVD extra's was all about the body). Joss does use his mothers passing as inspiration, he says he wanted to focus on the almost 'boredom' that come within the initial few hours after death

Slightly OT, but i'm trying to hold out starting S6 for a bit, i'm excited because i know what's coming (i have a theory... it could be bunnies :D) but i'm running out of episodes!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,587
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I guess because of being on this thread I started thinking about 'The Body' episode and without rewatching what stands out is the way that Buffy - the super hero- is made so helpless, there is absolutely nothing she can do to change the outcome and the moment when she throws up is sooo human.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I liked all the seasons of Buffy. And then all the seasons of Angel. Some episodes I wasn't keen on. But on the whole every storyline, was good for me. I wouldn't have wanted it to go any differently. Becuase this was the writer's plan, and not mine. And I always found it very surreal. But funny.

The funny thing is that I never liked Buffy, or Angel TBH.
    I prefer Spike, Willow, Giles, and Anya. They were my favourite characters.
    And in Angel, I liked Wesley, and Cordelia.

I did grow to like Buffy and Angel. But they were never really favourites of mine. Not really my sort of people. Buffy is a bit self centred even though she is not selfish.... and she's always going on and on. you can understand why, but still. I can understand the character, but not really care for her much. wasn't a fan of Dawn either.

Angel is self loathing. And very joyless unless he's evil. He's also always brooding over some girl or other. When he was human he was a drunk, careless fool.

The too most complicted and interesting characters are Spike and Willow.

I also like Faith. I like how much she changed over the course of the show. Joss never went into depth about what happened in her past. But you can tell it wasn't a happy childhood.

The thing with Buffy is, that she is normal. She's a normal girl, and then a normal woman. It's just that she doesn't have a normal life. She's the kind of character that always dreamed of getting married, having a normal life, growing up with her parents and fitting in with her peers.
    And she never changed. Not really. She adapted, and grew as a person.
    I think the actress and writers did a briliant job with character of Buffy.
    Buffy was a sheep that was forced to become a leader.

I think it's probably my favourite program of all time. Along with the xfiles.

I think with Angel, I preferred him when he went over to his own show. He started to show a more humourous side to the character, but in Buffy he didn't really do more than be brooding as you say, it was better for him when he became Angellus which I thought was funny as well as humourous. I'm just watching Series 3 at the moment and I can't help feeling Angel is a spare part fulfilling his contract to be in every episode at least until he leaves for LA at the end of the Series.

Also can never figure out why Angel can't remember what he's done as Angellus in Series 2 whilst the whole point of him having a soul is that he does remember what he's done and feels bad about it, though he does seem to remember more by series 3. Angellus can clearly remember what he's done as Angel so why not vice versa seems a bit weird! :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think with Angel, I preferred him when he went over to his own show. He started to show a more humourous side to the character, but in Buffy he didn't really do more than be brooding as you say, it was better for him when he became Angellus which I thought was funny as well as humourous. I'm just watching Series 3 at the moment and I can't help feeling Angel is a spare part fulfilling his contract to be in every episode at least until he leaves for LA at the end of the Series.

Also can never figure out why Angel can't remember what he's done as Angellus in Series 2 whilst the whole point of him having a soul is that he does remember what he's done and feels bad about it, though he does seem to remember more by series 3. Angellus can clearly remember what he's done as Angel so why not vice versa seems a bit weird! :)

Yeah, his own show allowed Angel to grow in his own right.:) And yes, the whole Angel-didn't-remember-Angelus stuff is stupid beyond belief:(
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yeah, his own show allowed Angel to grow in his own right.:) And yes, the whole Angel-didn't-remember-Angelus stuff is stupid beyond belief:(
    It got weirder in Angel Series 4 where they needed to bring back stuff that Angellus was only supposed to remember but when he reverted back to Angel he could remember something that revealed Cordelia to be up to mischief. Open to correction about that as I haven't got to it yet, but it seems that it got more confused by this Series. :confused:
  • RebelScumRebelScum Posts: 16,008
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

It was because he was brought back from hell by TPTB.

Giles says time passes differently in Hell. Although he only spent a relatively short time there from our perpective, a much longer time went by from Angel's point of view. Giles also says that any being who manages to return would most likely become a monster and that it would take extraordinary character to retain any semblance of self.

On his return, as time went on Angel regained his identity and eventually his memories started to come back, including the memories of what he did as Angelus during season 2.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    RebelScum wrote: »
    It was because he was brought back from hell by TPTB.

Giles says time passes differently in Hell. Although he only spent a relatively short time there from our perpective, a much longer time went by from Angel's point of view. Giles also says that any being who manages to return would most likely become a monster and that it would take extraordinary character to retain any semblance of self.

On his return, as time went on Angel regained his identity and eventually his memories started to come back, including the memories of what he did as Angelus during season 2.

NICE theory! Never thought of that
  • RebelScumRebelScum Posts: 16,008
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It got weirder in Angel Series 4 where they needed to bring back stuff that Angellus was only supposed to remember but when he reverted back to Angel he could remember something that revealed Cordelia to be up to mischief. Open to correction about that as I haven't got to it yet, but it seems that it got more confused by this Series. :confused:

This is revealed to be because all references to the Beast in this dimension were magically erased shortly before its arrival (Apocalypse Nowish); Angelus was the only entity in this dimension unaffected, as he did not technically exist at the time the spell was cast.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    RebelScum wrote: »
    This is revealed to be because all references to the Beast in this dimension were magically erased shortly before its arrival (Apocalypse Nowish); Angelus was the only entity in this dimension unaffected, as he did not technically exist at the time the spell was cast.

Thanks for that, you know your stuff! I couldn't remember all that stuff from Angel Series 4. Just started Series 1, can't wait to get stuck into it all again!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 17,060
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm rewatching Buffy all the way through on Netflix. I used to have every season on VHS, but they're long gone now.

I just watched Hush, and I'm surprised that it's not the silent episode I remember it being. It's only silent from about 14 minutes in.

Something else that I've noticed this time is that there was so little effort to make the stunt fighters look like the actors. In the finale of Season 1 when Buffy and Angel were fighting, I kept thinking there was a second man in the fight. DB's hairline is straight across, but the stunt double was badly receding!
  • Gwaed WaedlydGwaed Waedlyd Posts: 5,401
    Forum Member
    I am watching the series for the first time on SyFy in the mornings. On season 3 atm.